How to hard reset directly from iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bobboomerang, Jan 3, 2012.

1. bobboomerang

bobboomerang Guest

Hi all,

I've got an 8GB iPhone 2G. It is not recognized by computers or iTunes when you plug it in, but for me that's not an issue because it still charges when plugged into the wall outlet. Aside from computer-syncing functions (which I personally don't need), the iPhone would work standalone as a phone. Problem is, my friend put a passcode on it as a joke, and no one remembers it. After several failed login attempts, the iPhone is stuck at "iPhone is disabled, connect to iTunes." Additionally, the home button seems to work only rarely.

I don't have any sensitive data, and wish to hard reset/factory reset the iPhone to a passcode-less state DIRECTLY from the iPhone itself. Is there a way to do that?

2. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

• Press and hold both the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

3. bobboomerang

bobboomerang Guest

...Is that it? Do you need to connect it with iTunes after that or will it reset on its own? (my iPhone doesn't show up on iTunes).

4. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Sounds more like you need to put the device in DFU mode. Here's how:
    Attach device to the computer and open iTunes.
    Turn the iPhone off (hold down the power button at the top of the iPhone)
    Hold down the sleep/power button and home button together for exactly 10 seconds, then release the power button
    Continue to hold down the Home button until a message appears in iTunes telling you an iPhone in recover mode has been detected.

Now you can do a restore of the device.