How to increase your OneDrive storage by 100 GB for free (for one year)

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
It's rather easy and painless.

Just join Bing Rewards.

They will ask you to complete several easy tasks (nothing more difficult than pointing and clicking), and then you have to collect points by doing a few searches on the Bing search engine. You do not have to switch your default search engine to Bing unless you absolutely want to; just run a few searches through Bing every day until you have enough points for the OneDrive increase (or any of the other prizes they offer). It took me approximately ten days to earn the credits needed for the OneDrive increase.

Screen Shot 2014-10-25 at 9.26.42 AM.png (thumbnail; click to enlarge)

If food is more your thing, there are $5 gift cards to several popular restaurants (read: Domino's Pizza, Burger King, IHOP, etc...) you can select.

The full list of prizes is here, so you can see for yourself if you're interested in any of them.

Sadly, they don't offer iTunes gift cards. :D

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
Also, If you have an Office 365 subscription I believe that comes with 1TB of OneDrive space..

I currently have a TB of free Google Drive space from when I bought my Chromebook Pixel and I have a TB of free OneDrive space from my Office subscription.

Apple is falling behind in this area I believe..

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Also, If you have an Office 365 subscription I believe that comes with 1TB of OneDrive space..

I currently have a TB of free Google Drive space from when I bought my Chromebook Pixel and I have a TB of free OneDrive space from my Office subscription.

Apple is falling behind in this area I believe..
Looks like that 1 TB of OneDrive space for Office 365 subscribers will soon increase...

... to unlimited.

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
Looks like that 1 TB of OneDrive space for Office 365 subscribers will soon increase...

... to unlimited.
I saw that.. Insane isn't it?

The yearly price of a 365 subscription is worth it just for the storage space alone even if you never touch the product..

Students get a 4-year subscription for a whopping $79.. Pure insanity..

Edit to add:

You can sign up to get added quickly to the unlimited space..

https://preview.onedrive.com

Last edited:

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Microsoft has a new offer that apparently went live today:

How To Get 100GB Of Free OneDrive Storage For 2 Years

Just now, I successfully added 100 GB of free OneDrive storage with this offer, but Microsoft FAILED to extend the expiration date of my free storage. I have posted a question on the Microsoft Community forum, and if no one answers within a reasonable amount of time, I will escalate the issue until someone provides me with an explanation.
Just for 2 years? Then what after 2 years?

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I saw that.. Insane isn't it?

The yearly price of a 365 subscription is worth it just for the storage space alone even if you never touch the product..

Students get a 4-year subscription for a whopping $79.. Pure insanity..

Edit to add:

You can sign up to get added quickly to the unlimited space..

https://preview.onedrive.com
Microsoft has changed its mind. They seem to have bit off more than they could chew. They will be reducing the storage they offer their Office 365 users. They will be reducing space offered for free users as well, and the 15 GB camera roll storage bonus is also being eliminated.

On its OneDrive blog, Microsoft was rather quick to assign blame for this reduction to "a small number of users backed up numerous PCs and stored entire movie collections and DVR recordings. In some instances, this exceeded 75 TB per user or 14,000 times the average."

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
Meh doesn't bother me any as it's still 1TB for those with subscriptions..

When they announced the unlimited I figured it would be abused by some and that it ran the risk of it being taken away..

1TB is already more than the average user would ever need..

I also still have 1TB of Goole Drive space from when I purchased my Pixel..

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I hear ya—I'm only using ~7 GB of my free 141 GB.

Screen Shot 2015-11-03 at 1.24.04 PM.png

But it still upsets me to see multibillion-dollar companies offer something, then take it away because it didn't turn out to be as "cheap" as they expected it would be. One could argue that had they thought it through, they would have known it wasn't feasible in the long run.

All I know is they better not take away my free 100 GB Bing bonus. I earned that fair and square—through repetitive (and quite bogus) Bing searches :) I never set them up as my default search engine. I prefer Google, even if they log everything I search for. I don't need the (alleged) privacy of DuckDuckGo since I'm not doing research on building bombs or anything like that. :D

47seijar

Zealot
Bronze
Oct 6, 2012
Denville, NJ
Microsoft has changed its mind. They seem to have bit off more than they could chew. They will be reducing the storage they offer their Office 365 users. They will be reducing space offered for free users as well, and the 15 GB camera roll storage bonus is also being eliminated.

On its OneDrive blog, Microsoft was rather quick to assign blame for this reduction to "a small number of users backed up numerous PCs and stored entire movie collections and DVR recordings. In some instances, this exceeded 75 TB per user or 14,000 times the average."
Bah. This is a money grab, plain and simple. I don't begrudge Microsoft the right to charge what the traffic will bear. There are plenty of other cloud storage services available (iCloud, Box, Dropbox, etc) but this stinks of "teaser offers" that get followed up with a new deal, and after the users get accustomed to the old storage allowances. Microsoft, following in the footsteps of the of the big mortgage providers? Perception - it's all about perception.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida

An update on the post quoted immediately above:

Microsoft's decision to reduce OneDrive storage quotas was not positively received by users, unsurprisingly. MacRumors reports that users "created an online petition called 'give us back our storage' with over 70,000 votes."

Microsoft was forced to humbly apologize to its users, and they also backtracked (partially) and will now allow customers "to keep their 15GB free storage and 15GB camera roll bonus." However, "Microsoft is not backing down from its larger plans to discontinue unlimited storage," adds MacRumors.

If you want to keep the free storage that's being offered., you must click on the link provided in the referenced article.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I have 30 gb free with OneDrive. I have 26.8 gb available. I have 50 gb free with Box. I have 44 gb available. I have 3 free gb with Dropbox. There's 2.25 gb available. I won't need any more for a long time. I passed on the 100 gb deal because it was only for 1 year. That's not free in my book.