How to install 3.0

cdelauz

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
Ok guys I finally got a copy of the 3.0. And I am set up under a Developers team. My question is can some one tell me exactly how to install this bad boy. I have a 2.2.1 3g stock iPhone. What do i need to do to install this OS.

What will happen to my pics?
Do I have to install as a new iPhone?

How should I go about installing it?

Sorry for the newb questions, I just want to make sure that I get this right the first time with out messing anything up.

Thanks, Carlos

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
First back up your phone. Then when you're ready to install, go to iTunes and option click, control click (I think it depends if you're Windows or not, but it's one of those I think) and you'll get a popup of what you want to install to the iPhone. Then select 3.0 and it'll start doing it as a normal restore. Your pics should still be there if you restore from back up. The only downside to restoring from backup is that YouTube won't work. Good luck!

cdelauz

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
Oh ok, not a bad thing, i can careless for youtube didn't really use it much lol

cdelauz

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
Is the mms function working, or we have to wait for At&t to switch it on for us?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
It "works" on the phone but we can't send or receive. It's an AT&T/Apple thing because I'm on the Bold plan with MMS and it still doesn't work.

cdelauz

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
Is Apple and att planning on getting together and making this availbe for the developers?

morth58

Bronze
Mar 17, 2008
It "works" on the phone but we can't send or receive. It's an AT&T/Apple thing because I'm on the Bold plan with MMS and it still doesn't work.
Sav, I assume you can send and receive mms on the Bold correct?

Do you have visual voicemail on your iPhone?

Hialeahzbg

Bronze
Mar 19, 2009
hey im from fss... so whos the dev i gotta contact to get it 3.0?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Sav, I assume you can send and receive mms on the Bold correct?

Do you have visual voicemail on your iPhone?
Yes, I can send and receive MMS msgs on the Bold. I don't have visual voicemail because it's only part of the iPhone data plan.

badge

Bronze
Feb 23, 2009
Bristol UK
First back up your phone. Then when you're ready to install, go to iTunes and option click, control click (I think it depends if you're Windows or not, but it's one of those I think) and you'll get a popup of what you want to install to the iPhone. Then select 3.0 and it'll start doing it as a normal restore. Your pics should still be there if you restore from back up. The only downside to restoring from backup is that YouTube won't work. Good luck!
in windows ,its shift and click restore..

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Youtube will work if you set it up as a new phone. Otherwise it looks like you wont be able to use it (not even embedded youtube in safari).

cdelauz

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
Now my question is when you set it up as a new phone, when the official comes out will you be able to restore from your back when you had 2.2.1?

Hialeahzbg

Bronze
Mar 19, 2009
great questions...so if i do a backup on my iPhone and restore to the 3.0 os will i still have all my contacts when i get it working...ill restore to new since i do use my youtube a lot..

Mar 21, 2009
I have the 3.0 torrent but I'm having an issue getting the .ispw file out of the .dmg. I am also using Windows XP platform. Can anyone help me with getting this software onto my iPhone?! Thanks!

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I have the 3.0 torrent but I'm having an issue getting the .ispw file out of the .dmg. I am also using Windows XP platform. Can anyone help me with getting this software onto my iPhone?! Thanks!
Download the ipsw file instead.

Youtube will work if you set it up as a new phone. Otherwise it looks like you wont be able to use it (not even embedded youtube in safari).
I know I've said this in other threads but I want to reiterate, all I did was update and my YouTube works fine. I know I'm the exception, but it might be worth a try to see if it works for you too.

RayHend

Apr 7, 2009
Hello,

Can anyone tell me what steps I'd have to take in order to get YouTube working on this OS? So far, I love it! But I would like to continue using YouTube.

Thanks.

diverdown

Contributor
Silver
Sep 12, 2007
NYC
Hello,

Can anyone tell me what steps I'd have to take in order to get YouTube working on this OS? So far, I love it! But I would like to continue using YouTube.

Thanks.
The most popular reply is that when you restore to 3.0, setup as a new device and youtube will work. Although some users have had luck with youtube working when they restore from a backup.

~S