How to install a screen protector perfectly?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by IllusionEntity, Nov 2, 2011.

1. IllusionEntity

IllusionEntity Evangelist
    Gold

Ok this is really irritating me now. I try to install protectors on my 4S and I make sure the screen is 110% clear of lint, dust and crap.

AS SOON AS I lay that protector on there is crap all between the protector and the screen!? How the hell can I install without this problem. I will soon leave the shields as they have to be physically invisible for them not to annoy me or make the phone look pants.

2. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

I'm not even going to touch that... (oh, I guess I just did)

Try in the bathroom after a nice hot steamy shower. The humidity tends to keep the dust under control.

3. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

I'm epically terrible at doing these installs, and always prefer to have them done for me when possible. I do know one tip that works well for most people though:

Do your install in the bathroom. Run the shower with steaming hot water. Keep the door shut and let the room get steamy. Clean your screen and you should find that the moisture in the air helps to keep dust and gunk off the screen during the install.

4. IllusionEntity

Gold

I did hear that somewhere! Ok guys thank you both for the advice will try it soon :D

5. besweeet

besweeet Contributor
    Silver

I've been installing screen protectors perfectly, even on my iPad. The secret? Scotch tape. You're guaranteed to get debris between your screen and the film, so keep some scotch tape handy so that you can safely lift a part of the film up and grab the piece of dust (or whatever). Works perfectly.

For me, it takes quite a while to do, usually 30-45 minutes, so take your time.

Also, never use the screen protectors that use liquids. They have horrible quality afterwards and are usually kind of mushy.

6. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Everytime I do mine i become this paranoid schizophrenic maniac who's about to burst a vain. I hear people talking to me and when I see the dust underneath anyway I cry.
    Tell me if that works, I need to install mine soon.

7. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

Get a Moshi. Just line it up & press it on. Don't have to worry about the bubbles & crap. Comes with a small microfiber cloth to get the screen all nice & clean. Just be quick once you peel it. Well it doesn't matter because it's removable & reusable.

8. Dj101

Dj101 Member
    Bronze

i always do mine the zagg way....wet...i use alcahol in a small spray bottle and a small squeege to get it out from under.
    the wet way will give you a chance to center it perfectly before removing the underlying alcahol
    and the faster the better....it takes me a total of 2min,at most,to do one properly

9. IllusionEntity

Gold

Had Zagg on my 3GS and 4 for a while. Great protection... But they suck IMO

10. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

Took me about 30 seconds if that. No water, no alcohol, no squeegee.

11. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

How to install a screen protector properly:

-Take off the screen protector you just tried to install
    -Throw it away
    -Done

12. IllusionEntity

Gold

The iPhone glass scratches like a good'un. Thanks for the advice but no thanks.

13. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

It really doesn't scratch that badly.

14. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I didn't have mine for 6 months on the iPhone4. Not a single scratch.

15. besweeet

besweeet Contributor
    Silver

Do you put your phone in the same pocket that carries your keys? Try that for 6 months and then get back to us.

16. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I never put the keys in the same pocket as my phone. I got that much common sense.

17. one_crazy_dude

one_crazy_dude Contributor
    Bronze

18. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I always make sure that it is clean and just prior to laying it on I give it a blast with the compressed air. No problems ever.

19. IllusionEntity

Gold

Just improvised and I got both on perfect. And I mean perfect. Lay your device on a flat surface. Then lay a hair dryer on that side. Point it towards the iPhone on the lowest heat setting. Now clean the screen. Keep checking to make sure all the crud is off of the screen. The hair dryer will not get the crud off of the screen. But it will keep it off of the screen during installation ;)

20. verwon

verwon Evangelist
    Gold

This is my method! I gave up on the damn things a long time ago.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!