How to install a screen protector perfectly?

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
Ok this is really irritating me now. I try to install protectors on my 4S and I make sure the screen is 110% clear of lint, dust and crap.

AS SOON AS I lay that protector on there is crap all between the protector and the screen!? How the hell can I install without this problem. I will soon leave the shields as they have to be physically invisible for them not to annoy me or make the phone look pants.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I try to install protectors on my 4S and I make sure the screen is 110% clear of lint, dust and crap.

AS SOON AS I lay that protector on there is crap all between the protector and the screen!?
I'm not even going to touch that... (oh, I guess I just did)

Try in the bathroom after a nice hot steamy shower. The humidity tends to keep the dust under control.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I'm epically terrible at doing these installs, and always prefer to have them done for me when possible. I do know one tip that works well for most people though:

Do your install in the bathroom. Run the shower with steaming hot water. Keep the door shut and let the room get steamy. Clean your screen and you should find that the moisture in the air helps to keep dust and gunk off the screen during the install.

besweeet

Contributor
Silver
Jun 7, 2009
San Antonio, TX
briansweet.me
I've been installing screen protectors perfectly, even on my iPad. The secret? Scotch tape. You're guaranteed to get debris between your screen and the film, so keep some scotch tape handy so that you can safely lift a part of the film up and grab the piece of dust (or whatever). Works perfectly.

For me, it takes quite a while to do, usually 30-45 minutes, so take your time.

Also, never use the screen protectors that use liquids. They have horrible quality afterwards and are usually kind of mushy.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Everytime I do mine i become this paranoid schizophrenic maniac who's about to burst a vain. I hear people talking to me and when I see the dust underneath anyway I cry.
Tell me if that works, I need to install mine soon.

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
Get a Moshi. Just line it up & press it on. Don't have to worry about the bubbles & crap. Comes with a small microfiber cloth to get the screen all nice & clean. Just be quick once you peel it. Well it doesn't matter because it's removable & reusable.

Dj101

Bronze
Nov 21, 2010
Pensacola Fl U.S.A.
www.Mix.dj
i always do mine the zagg way....wet...i use alcahol in a small spray bottle and a small squeege to get it out from under.
the wet way will give you a chance to center it perfectly before removing the underlying alcahol
and the faster the better....it takes me a total of 2min,at most,to do one properly

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
i always do mine the zagg way....wet...i use alcahol in a small spray bottle and a small squeege to get it out from under.
the wet way will give you a chance to center it perfectly before removing the underlying alcahol
and the faster the better....it takes me a total of 2min,at most,to do one properly
Had Zagg on my 3GS and 4 for a while. Great protection... But they suck IMO

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
Took me about 30 seconds if that. No water, no alcohol, no squeegee.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
How to install a screen protector properly:

-Take off the screen protector you just tried to install
-Throw it away
-Done

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
It really doesn't scratch that badly.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
I didn't have mine for 6 months on the iPhone4. Not a single scratch.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Do you put your phone in the same pocket that carries your keys? Try that for 6 months and then get back to us.
I never put the keys in the same pocket as my phone. I got that much common sense.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
I always make sure that it is clean and just prior to laying it on I give it a blast with the compressed air. No problems ever.

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
Just improvised and I got both on perfect. And I mean perfect. Lay your device on a flat surface. Then lay a hair dryer on that side. Point it towards the iPhone on the lowest heat setting. Now clean the screen. Keep checking to make sure all the crud is off of the screen. The hair dryer will not get the crud off of the screen. But it will keep it off of the screen during installation ;)

verwon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 29, 2011
Seattle
How to install a screen protector properly:

-Take off the screen protector you just tried to install
-Throw it away
-Done
This is my method! I gave up on the damn things a long time ago.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!