How to jailbreak 1.13 on a Mac

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
How to Jailbreak 1.13 on Mac and Windows

Okay, so there are several different guides and tutorials out there on jailbreaking 1.13. I threw some of them together, and ended up with this, a guide for jailbreaking 1.1.3 on the Mac.

Update: (2/12/08) There is now a much easier way to jailbreak 1.13, without all of the complicated downgrading and updating. There is currently on a Windows method. If you have a Mac, you must still use this guide.

Prerequisites:

First download what you'll need:
iNdependence (if using a Mac)
iBrickr (if using Windows)
Dev Team 1.12 Jailbreak Software
Firmware 1.11
Firmware 1.12

Uncheck 'Automatically Sync when this iPhone is connected' in iTunes.

In Settings > General > Auto Lock> ensure that 'Never' is selected.

You MUST be on a jailbroken version of firmware 1.12 before you jailbreak 1.13.

This method uses the Dev Team's version of the jailbreak, not Nate True's.

If you are on an unjailbroken iPhone running firmware 1.13, you will need to downgrade first. To do so, follow these steps:

1) Dock the iPhone and sync the iPhone. Then put it in DFU mode by pressing and holding both the Power button and the Home Button. After 10 seconds, the iPhone's screen will go black; let go of the power button, and continue holding the home button until iTunes displays a pop up. Click OK.

2) Press Option + Restore if using Mac, Shift + Restore if using Windows. In the file browser that appears, locate the Firmware 1.11 (not 1.1.2) and click Open.

3) Allow the iPhone to Restore. When it is done, you should receive Error 1015. The iPhone's screen will not show the USB cord pointing towards the iTunes icon. Another pop will appear; click OK, then eject the iPhone from iTunes (leave it in the dock) and quit iTunes.

4) Open iNdependence (Mac) or iBirckr (Windows) and wait for it to boot your iPhone from recovery.

5) Once the iPhone is booted, it should be at the 'Activate iPhone' screen. Slide for Emergency. Input *#307# on the keypad. Press call. Then the phone will ring. At the top of the screen, press the X and delete all of the characters you have entered. Now enter 0 and press call again. Then press answer, then hold, then decline.

6) You should now be at the phone's main keypad in the Phone application. Press the contacts button. Press the + in the top corner. Press the 'First Last' field. In the first name field, input A. Press Save. Now press the Add New URL button. Input prefs: then press Save. Press the Add New URL button again. This time, input http://jailbreakme.com and press Save. Press Save again.

7) Now press the prefs: button. This will take you to the Preferences Menu. Go to General > AutoLock > and press Never. Return to the main Settings Menu. Press Wi-Fi, and select your network, entering a password if necessary.

8) Press the Home button. You will be returned to the 'Activate iPhone' screen. Slide for Emergency. Enter 0, then press call, then answer, then hold, then decline, which will return you to the contacts screen. Press the A button. Press the http://jailbreakme.com button.

9) You are now on the jailbreakme site. Scroll to the bottom and press 'Install AppSnapp'. When Safari crashes, you will be returned to the 'Activate iPhone' screen. Wait for a few seconds until it freezes, and the phone reboots. When it has, Slide to Unlock, and you will have access to the SpringBoard with Installer on it.

Now Restore again to 1.11. When that is done, jailbreak again via jailbreakme.com.

Congratulations, you have successfuly downgraded from 1.13.

You will now need to send your jailbroken 1.11 iPhone to 1.12.

1) You should now have a jailbroken 1.11 iPhone. Go into Installer and find OktoPrep. Install it.

2) Dock the iPhone and open iTunes. Click Option + Update (Mac) or Shift + Update (Windows) and navigate to the 1.12 firmware (not 1.11) and click Open. Wait for the process to complete. Eject the iPhone from iTunes when it is done, and then quit iTunes.

3) Now open the folder that contains the Dev Team's 1.12 jailbreak. Open 'jailbreak.jar' (Mac) or 'windows.bat' (Windows). If, for some reason, your iPhone is now in recovery mode, click 'Boot from Recovery'. When your iPhone is ready, click 'Jailbreak!' and wait for the process to complete. The phone will then reboot a few times.

Now that you are a jailbroken iPhone running 1.12, you are ready to jailbreak 1.13.

The method you are going to use is the one provided by the Dev Team, not Nate True's. The first method for the Dev Team's was done via SSH, however you are going to di the whole thing via Installer.

Make sure that Auto Lock is set to NEVER and that you have Wi-Fi enabled.

Go into Installer and find Official 1.1.3 Upgrader, the source being Conceited Software. Install it and then let the phone respring. There will now be an app called Upgrade on your SpringBoard. Open it and say yes to Hacktivation (Even if you are with AT&T) and yes to the Restore. Then let the process run.

You're done!
A: Error 1 means that you are not in DFU mode. Check the guide on how to enter DFU mode.

Q: iNdependence will not boot my iPhone.
A: Restore again to 1.11. Then try again.

Q: iTunes is telling me that my backup is corrupt.
A: In iTunes, go into Preferences > iPhone and find your backup. Click 'Remove Backup'. Reconnect the iPhone.

Q: I get Error 6 when updating to 1.12.
A: Restore again to 1.11. Jailbreak again. Update again.

- John

Last edited by a moderator:

cubbie5150

Bronze
Dec 16, 2007
Will this work on a 1.1.2 OTB?
Wondering the same... I have a jailbroken 1.1.2 OTB (also am an ATT customer, so no need to unlock), but I keep reading of issues those of us w/ 1.1.2 OTB are having w/ losing phone functions & such. I'd like to have full Maps functionality (i.e. native locate me & hybrid view), but I've read that updating to 1.1.3 baseband from a 1.1.2 OTB phone can cause a mess...there's so much inconsistent info out there, that I'm having a tough time pulling the trigger, and I'm a guy who has hacked Motos using hex editors & the whole 9 yards until only a couple years ago!

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
This I do not know. I did it on an original iPhone bought in July.

I would hold if if you have a 1.12 OOTB. Wait until somebody confirms that one has been 1.13 jailbroken, if so, then this method will work.

- John

Sep 29, 2007
Whenever I enter

"cd /usr/bin
restorebb "

In terminal I get
No Such Process
permission denied: iera ser
Permission denied: bbup dater

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
The first line you get should say No Such Process, but then it should take off.

Are you sure you installed Repair Baseband and 1.13 --> 1.02 Downgrader (in that order) first? If not, there's your problem.

- John

Sep 29, 2007
The first line you get should say No Such Process, but then it should take off.

Are you sure you installed Repair Baseband and 1.13 --> 1.02 Downgrader (in that order) first? If not, there's your problem.

- John
Yes, I even turned it off uninstalled everything, and re-installed in that order. I will keep trying I guess. and I do not get "No Such Process".

Instead I get
zsh: no such file or directory:cd/usr/bin

NateEssex

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
NJ
How many people have successfuly used this method?

Are all the references to 1.11, 1.12, and 1.13 actually 1.1.1, 1.1.2 and 1.1.3?

If i have a JB 1.1.1, which step do I have to begin at?

Thanks!

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
I was at my sister's house lastnight and she dropped her phone in the rain. The screen stopped working and we had to take it in. It was JB'd etc. Anyway, she got a new phone but its not JB'd obviously, and is 1.1.3 ootb.

First question is, I can downgrade that using DFU/recovery right?

Second, what if I don't want to downgrade the baseband? I'm going to be taking her phone back to 1.1.3, which should mean her google maps locate feature should work natively in that case. Can I skip that step or is it necessary for some reason?

I understand I won't be able to use the phone until its back on 1.1.3, but I'm not sure if the JB breaks that feature in lieu of 1.1.2 and 1.1.1 BBs.

Sep 29, 2007
Okay, I restarted the entire process all over and restored back to 1.1.1 and I am about to run the commands after this is done. I hope this fixes the problem.

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
I was at my sister's house lastnight and she dropped her phone in the rain. The screen stopped working and we had to take it in. It was JB'd etc. Anyway, she got a new phone but its not JB'd obviously, and is 1.1.3 ootb.

First question is, I can downgrade that using DFU/recovery right?

Second, what if I don't want to downgrade the baseband? I'm going to be taking her phone back to 1.1.3, which should mean her google maps locate feature should work natively in that case. Can I skip that step or is it necessary for some reason?

I understand I won't be able to use the phone until its back on 1.1.3, but I'm not sure if the JB breaks that feature in lieu of 1.1.2 and 1.1.1 BBs.
You're talking about this DFU recovery thing, right? If so, yes. You should follow this tutorial on how to keep the 1.1.3 baseband when you downgrade:

http://hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?p=195983#post195983

I used this tutorial and it works great. Google Locator works natively and Hybrid view works too. Btw, I used Nate's JB instead of the Dev Team's. No issues so far at all.

Sep 29, 2007
I am having so much problems with this.
I followed all of the instructions..even resored 3x to 1.1.1 and Installed Oktoprep and I got up to 1.1.2 but then it said Oktoprep was gone so I went back down to 1.1.1 and tried it a 4th time and I got error 1602? so now I am restoring to 1.1.2 again hoping it works.

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
Well, the oddest of things just happened. I decided to look for some webclips to put on my springboard and started watching videos on dailymotion. Next thing I know, the screen started slowing down as I was tapping to zoom in to full screen.

Blammo, the screen went black. Stuck in a loop at the Apple screen and the Connect to iTunes picture. I fired up Independence and got my phone out of the loop, but for whatever reason that happened it didn't sit well with me. What if that happened away from my computer and when I was in an emergency situation? Bleh... I'm restoring to 1.1.3 and going back to jail right now. I reckon starting fresh, and having a 1.1.3 baseband is worth the extra effort to jailbreak this time around.

I'm going to use this tutorial up to the bit with downgrading the bb, I'm going to stay at 1.1.3 and report back on google map's find me feature working natively or not.

Update 11:55

Just got done installing 1.1.3, now I'm downgrading to 1.1.1 to turn my iPhone into an ipod Touch.

This is all so exciting! It's like gambling, except you know the odds are in your favor :)

Update 11:58

Just got my first 1.1.1 error. Restoring again to get it stuck in the connect to iTunes screen.

Update 12:05

Went through the bit where you get into the iPhone by having it call itself. That was sweet, I felt like a hacker for a moment. Hello? Angelina?

Update 12:11

Oktoprep installed, updating to 1.1.2

Update 12:17

Ran Jailbreak.jar trying to boot from Recovery

Update 12:19

Jailbreak.jar wouldn't boot from Recovery, but Independence did. Ran Jailbreak.jar again and now its reading the flash image :)

Update 12:23

I think it finished JBing 1.1.2. I can't tell its at the Connect to iTunes screen rebooting. The JB said its going to do that a couple times before it gets things sorted. Gonna let it reboot a couple more times before I launch independence again to get it out of recovery.

Update 12:26

Independence saves the day again! In 1.1.2 prepping for 1.1.3 upgrade :D

Update 12:33

Installing BSD Subsystem 2.0 and updating Installer. I'm going to do the Installer soft update to 1.1.3 :)

Update 12:37

"Here we go. Running Install Script - have a sandwhich" well I'm on my way to 1.1.3 :)

Update 1:01

iPhone just reboot, lets see where I end up, connect to iTunes, or Springboard...

Update 1:03

Springboard just launched with the 1.1.3 homescreen update prompt. Installer is onscreen.

Checking Google Maps Find me. Locate Me or Navizon are not installed.

SUCCESS! Google Maps works Natively :)

Now time to get my phone working like a phone again!

Update 1:09

OpenSSH is installed, time to move over that lockd file.

Update 1:15

Copied over the default lockdownd file, connecting to iTunes to get activated.

Update 1:16

Waiting for Activation. This may take a moment.

Activated.

1.1.3, Google Maps working natively, and back on the AT&T network.

I'm going to restore my files and call it a night.

Update 1:29

Just got done restoring my contacts and media while I read this post over. I realized I tried Find Me in Google Maps while on Wifi, which doesn't touch the baseband. I just tried it now with Wifi turned off and I'm happy to report it works. I've rebooted a few times since I last tried on Wifi so nothing was cached.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Well, the oddest of things just happened. I decided to look for some webclips to put on my springboard and started watching videos on dailymotion. Next thing I know, the screen started slowing down as I was tapping to zoom in to full screen.

Blammo, the screen went black. Stuck in a loop at the Apple screen and the Connect to iTunes picture. I fired up Independence and got my phone out of the loop, but for whatever reason that happened it didn't sit well with me. What if that happened away from my computer and when I was in an emergency situation? Bleh... I'm restoring to 1.1.3 and going back to jail right now. I reckon starting fresh, and having a 1.1.3 baseband is worth the extra effort to jailbreak this time around.

I'm going to use this tutorial up to the bit with downgrading the bb, I'm going to stay at 1.1.3 and report back on google map's find me feature working natively or not.
Ouch, that sucks - hope the restore goes smooth. Have you seen there is a new, third JB method out now? Getting kinda silly now ...

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
Hmm you had more luck that I did. I am going to try booting from recovery with independence this time
Yeah I don't know why the other methods weren't working for me. I forgot to mention that I had first tried to get out of recovery with Nate's new jailbreak, but no dice.

Additionally, after more testing, I believe I'm using the latest jailbreak which solved the sync issues. I noticed my Address book on my desktop had synced the contact I made with the web addresses prefs: and jailbreakme.com.

I have not really done anything post upgrade that was really necessary other than symlinking files to recover space.

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
Can you see if you can load a rented movie now?

Thx!

--
Mike
I jailbroke the same way x666x did, retaining the 1.1.3 baseband. iTunes rentals STILL do not work, unfortunately. I get the same "cannot connect to iTunes" error at the end of the transfer.