How to jailbreak 2.1 on Windows tonight...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
EDIT 9/19/08: A new version of the full-GUI Quickpwn was released for Windows today. It is a much easier and more complete method than this guide, so go here to download:
http://www.quickpwn.com/2008/09/jailbreak-iphone-21-gui-version.html

Ok, I've discussed this in various places here, but I figured I'd write up a clarified version of the procedure to do this for folks who don't want to wait for the Dev team to kick out a new Winpwn. I've done it on two phones now and it's actually pretty easy and appears to be rock solid. I did not come up with this, I've modified the procedure I found here:

http://www.quickpwn.com/2008/09/jailbreak-iphone-21.html
***PLEASE NOTE*** The other guide says you need to downgrade iTunes to 7.7 after first installing 2.1 with iTunes 8. This is not true. I just pwned my wife's phone no problem with iTunes 8 the whole time. You don't even use iTunes to pwn with this procedure. So don't stress that if you've read it elsewhere. Also, I did this in XP, but there is little that should be different for a Vista install, however I'd love feedback from those doing it in Vista)

***ALSO NOTE*** iTunes downloads and stores the 2.1 firmware file you need to pwn on your computer when you update through iTunes. If you cannot find it as per the guide below, you can either search for the filename on your hard drives ("iPhone1,1_2.1_5F136_Restore.ipsw" for V1, "iPhone1,2_2.1_5F136_Restore.ipsw" for 3G), or download them from these links:

iPhone V1:
http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...080909.gkbEj/iPhone1,1_2.1_5F136_Restore.ipsw

iPhone 3G:
http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...080909.K3294/iPhone1,2_2.1_5F136_Restore.ipsw

OK, here goes:

1. Using iTunes 8, update to firmware 2.1. IMPORTANT: I set up as a new user. Others have indicated problems when restoring from a backup. To be safe, always update as a new device. Make sure you have your contacts and other data synced to external programs (outlook, windows address book, etc.) Close iTunes.

2. Download QuickPWN iPhone 2.1 Jailbreak (Link no longer available)

3. Run the QuickPWN-GUI.exe file and browse and select the 2.1 firmware you just used to update. In XP, it can be found in "c:/Documents and Settings/[user]/Application Data/Apple Computer/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates"... or else just search for the files or download from the links above.

4. Follow the on-screen steps, choose Installer and Cydia. You should know how to get your iPhone into DFU mode. The Quickpwn app will walk you through it, but it's good to be familiar with the process first

5. Once finished, your iPhone will reboot, but Installer and Cydia won't be visible. It will take a while to reboot. Don't stress.

6. Download & Install DiskAid from here:
http://www.digidna.net/downloads/download.php?product=DiskAid&version=1.5&sys=win

7. Connect your iPhone via USB to your computer and launch the DiskAid program.

8. When the DiskAid screen launches, you'll see a drop-down box on the bottom left that says "Media Folder". Click on it, and select "Root Folder" instead.

9. You'll get a Root Partition message. Click ok.

10. On the left side, scroll down and click the System folder. Now click the Library Folder. Scroll down and click the "PrivateFrameworks" folder.

11. On the left side, scroll down and click on the "MobileInstallation.framework" folder.

12. On the right, select the MobileInstallation file, and click "Delete from Device".

13. Download the new MobileInstallation patch from here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/pcrxy6

14. In DiskAid, click "Copy File to Device", and select the MobileInstallation file you downloaded.

15. In DiskAid, navigate to /private/var/mobile/Library/Caches and delete the following file: com.apple.mobile.installation.plist

16. Reboot your iPhone, and Installer & Cydia should show up.

You're now jailbroken! Congrats...

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevio

Bronze
Jul 30, 2008
Rachet City
Guide works like a charm...thanks for jailbreaking 2.1 for me dave!

EZDozzit

Sep 25, 2007
8. When the DiskAid screen launches, you'll see a drop-down box on the bottom left that says "Media Folder". Click on it, and select "Root Folder" instead.
That's as far as I got. DiskAid won't let me click on and change to Root Folder. It's greyd out. I'm using Vista. :(

Nevermind. Went through process a 2nd time and it worked this time. Thanks!

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
I kept getting the iTunes 1600 error when trying to restore to a custim 2.1 firmware before, so thanks for the guide, it worked great!

(make sure you have .NET framework 2.0 installed properly or quickpwn won't work, and make sure there are no Apple processes running (check with task manager)) - those were the only hiccups I ran into!

Voltaic Shock

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Leesburg, VA
I might just have to try this tonight.

I should turn this into a guide with pictures and post it on the web.

JimD

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
New Market, MD. USA
1. Using iTunes 8, update to firmware 2.1. IMPORTANT: I set up as a new user. Others have indicated problems when restoring from a backup. To be safe, always update as a new device.
Is this really necessary? I already have 2.1 on my phone and I did so using the normal method (restoring all my stuff automatically). My phone is a working 2.1 unjailbroken device. Can't I start from here?

Thanks for all the work you put into this. I am hopeful to get this done soon. I really need to get better email and SMS sounds installed.

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Is this really necessary? I already have 2.1 on my phone and I did so using the normal method (restoring all my stuff automatically). My phone is a working 2.1 unjailbroken device. Can't I start from here?

Thanks for all the work you put into this. I am hopeful to get this done soon. I really need to get better email and SMS sounds installed.
i had mine on a working 2.1 unjailbroken device, and when i didn't set up as new user and tried to restore from my old backup i got an infinite crash loop. i repeated the process 3 times, and finally decided to set up as a new device and start over. :oops:

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
The firmware files are already on your computer if you update through iTunes as it saves all firmwares you update to. Vista keeps it in a different place than XP does.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Dude, you the man. I just jailbroke to 2.1. Sweet.

Ok, I've discussed this in various places here today, but I figured I'd write up a clarified version of the procedure to do this for folks who don't want to wait for the Dev team to kick out a new Winpwn. I've done it on two phones now and it's actually pretty easy and appears to be rock solid. I did not come up with this, I've modified the procedure I found here:

http://www.quickpwn.com/2008/09/jailbreak-iphone-21.html
***PLEASE NOTE*** The other guide says you need to downgrade iTunes to 7.7 after first installing 2.1 with iTunes 8. This is not true. I just pwned my wife's phone no problem with iTunes 8 the whole time. You don't even use iTunes to pwn with this procedure. So don't stress that if you've read it elsewhere. Also, I did this in XP, but there is little that should be different for a Vista install, however I'd love feedback from those doing it in Vista)

***ALSO NOTE*** iTunes downloads and stores the 2.1 firmware file you need to pwn on your computer when you update through iTunes. If you cannot find it as per the guide below, you can either search for the filename on your hard drives ("iPhone1,1_2.1_5F136_Restore.ipsw" for V1, "iPhone1,2_2.1_5F136_Restore.ipsw" for 3G), or download them from these links:

iPhone V1:
http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...080909.gkbEj/iPhone1,1_2.1_5F136_Restore.ipsw

iPhone 3G:
http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...080909.K3294/iPhone1,2_2.1_5F136_Restore.ipsw

OK, here goes:

1. Using iTunes 8, update to firmware 2.1. IMPORTANT: I set up as a new user. Others have indicated problems when restoring from a backup. To be safe, always update as a new device. Make sure you have your contacts and other data synced to external programs (outlook, windows address book, etc.) Close iTunes.

2. Download QuickPWN iPhone 2.1 Jailbreak

3. Run the QuickPWN-GUI.exe file and browse and select the 2.1 firmware you just used to update. In XP, it can be found in "c:/Documents and Settings/[user]/Application Data/Apple Computer/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates"... or else just search for the files or download from the links above.

4. Follow the on-screen steps, choose Installer and Cydia. You should know how to get your iPhone into DFU mode. The Quickpwn app will walk you through it, but it's good to be familiar with the process first

5. Once finished, your iPhone will reboot, but Installer and Cydia won't be visible. It will take a while to reboot. Don't stress.

6. Download & Install DiskAid from here:
http://www.digidna.net/downloads/download.php?product=DiskAid&version=1.5&sys=win

7. Connect your iPhone via USB to your computer and launch the DiskAid program.

9. You'll get a Root Partition message. Click ok.

10. On the left side, scroll down and click the System folder. Now double-click the Library Folder. Scroll down and double-click the "PrivateFrameworks" folder.

11. On the left side, scroll down and click on the "MobileInstallation.framework" folder.

12. On the right, select the MobileInstallation file, and click "Delete from Device".

13. Download the new MobileInstallation patch from here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/pcrxy6

14. In DiskAid, click "Copy File to Device", and select the MobileInstallation file you downloaded.

15. In DiskAid, navigate to /private/var/mobile/Library/Caches and delete the following file: com.apple.mobile.installation.plist

16. Reboot your iPhone, and Installer & Cydia should show up.

You're now jailbroken! Congrats...

boslan

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
i'm just wondering....

What does the updates benefit for us? I have to keep updating and jailbreaking everytime, but i don't see any difference. Is there a difference?

What are the benefits for 2.1?

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
i'm just wondering....

What does the updates benefit for us? I have to keep updating and jailbreaking everytime, but i don't see any difference. Is there a difference?

What are the benefits for 2.1?
Instead of high jacking this thread, why don't you try reSEARCHing the many threads about the pros and cons of 2.1? Your question requires going back through and rehashing what has already been discussed DAYS ago........ Make a decision on your own. It isn't called an "update" for nothing.... Update and re jailbreak like the rest of us for Christ's sake....

Don't mean to bust your ass........ sorry. Just update.