How to Jailbreak any iPhone/iPod touch Guide

Sep 29, 2007
How to Jailbreak any iPhone/iPod touch

This guide will show you how to jailbreak any iPhone on any firmware as of now which goes up to 1.1.3. The ideas are not all mine I myself have just reworded them and took the time to put them all in once place. I will go in order of firmwares and I hope this will help people without having to go to multiple threads.

Table of Contents:
-Jailbreak 1.1.1. and Below
-Jailbreak 1.1.2
-Jailbreak 1.1.3
-Downgrading

Note Before Jailbreaking: Always back up your iPod touch/iPhone in iTunes before you do any of this. If you upgrade when Jailbreaking on a different firmware, all of your Applications will go away and you will start from scratch on a brand new Instapper.App.

Jailbreaking 1.1.1 and Below:

To jailbreak 1.1.1 and below is very simple as Apple did not fix the .tiff exploit so we can do this without even using a computer. All you need to do is on the Safari Browser of any iPhone/iPod touch on 1.1.1 and below is go to www.jailbreakme.com. At the bottom of the page there is a install button and wait for that to install and you are jailbroken!

Note: If you need to downgrade to 1.1.1 please go to the end of the thread.

Jailbreaking 1.1.2.:

To jailbreak 1.1.2 you first need to be jailbroken in 1.1.1 so if you need to downgrade go to the end of the thread. Now that we are on 1.1.1 head to installer and download the package named “Oktoprep”. It will tell you that you can upgrade to 1.1.2 now. Head over to iTunes and upgrade to 1.1.2 by clicking alt(option)/Shift and then restore and make your way to the 1.1.2 firmware and let it do its work and your done. Now that you are on 1.1.2 notice the installer app is gone. Do not panic, download THIS and follow the on screen instructions. You iPhone/iPod touch will restart a few times but in the end you will notice the installer icon.

If you need more help visit this guide devoted to just 1.1.2:
Click here for more 1.1.2 help

Jailbreaking 1.1.3

To jailbreak 1.1.3 you must be on 1.1.2 or below and jail broken to upgrade but this is not an okto-prep upgrade. This jailbreak was released prematurely but still works great for both Mac and Pc.

Download(Mac): Click here to Download Mac

Download(PC): Click here to download for PC

Note: When I did this on a Mac, I was under the impression that the Apps would stay when I upgraded and I was quite happy, but I was wrong. The applications will be visible when you click uninstall in Installer app, but all the icons for those apps are gone. I recommend uninstalling as many applications as possible before doing this so when you get on your new 1.1.3 jailbroken phone, you do not have to go through the hassel of uninstalling.

There has been many problems with the jailbreak but none fatal such as the 300MB of other, Email not saving passwords, and etc. Many of these have been fixed and you can actually download patches from Installer.App to fix these.

The only things I have noticed that havn't worked with 1.1.3 is the following:
-Customze
-Send Song
-Google Map Locate Me (Locate Me the app works fine after fixing BSD Subsystem)

Instructions as quoted by: http://cre.ations.net/blog/post/iphone-113-jailbreak-released

- Plug in your phone via USB to your computer.
- Download, extract, and run iBrickr Special 1.1.3 jailbreak edition (ibrickr.exe in the archive).
- iBrickr will determine what firmware you are running on your phone and make sure you can run the update.
- iBrickr will then guide you through the process of obtaining and modifying the 1.1.3 firmware (make sure to read everything thoroughly).
- iBrickr will upload the new firmware image to your phone. Note that this only puts the file on your phone and does not modify it at all, yet.
- When iBrickr finishes (should take about 10 minutes), it will tell you to go to Installer and install the "1.1.3 soft upgrade" package. Do that.
- The upgrade will stall at about halfway. THIS IS NORMAL. DO NOT INTERACT WITH YOUR PHONE WHILE THIS IS HAPPENING. Just leave it plugged in and leave it alone.
- When the installer finishes (this should take another 10-15 minutes), your phone should reboot with a fresh activated 1.1.3 firmware.
That will sum up the jail-braking of any firmware.

Downgrading:

Downgrading is the act of lowering the firmware of your iPhone/iPod touch to a previous firmware for acts such as jailbreaking.

Firmware Downloads:
1.0.1= Click here to Download Firmware 1.0.1

1.0.2=Click here to Download Firmware 1.0.2

1.1.1=Click here to Download Firmware 1.1.1

1.1.2=Click here to Download Firmware 1.1.2

Tip: I recommend firefox for downloading as some Browsers compress the file and the file must not be compressed into a zip file but be in .ipsw format.

How to Downgrade from 1.1.2 to any below firmware:

-Press and Hold the Power and Home button at the same time for 10 seconds and when screen powers off release the power button and keep holding the home button until the iTunes icon appears.

-Now that your phone is in DFU mode, click shift/option on the restore button with your iPhone/iPod touch connected and make your way to the firmware.

-If you did this successfuly you will get error 1015 when downgrading to 1.1.2 but when downloading to else where and if you don't receive it then you good. Anyways from the error you will need an application such as this:

PC: Download this for PC
Mac: Download this for Mac

These applications will bring your phone out of this mode and allow activation. (Note for PC say you are on firmware 1.0.2 and it will work fine).

Now you have your 1.1.2 and below iPhone/iPod touch activated on the firmware and out of DFU mode.

Downgrading from 1.1.3:

I would write a extensive guide but I was beat and with pictures. Instead of quoting it all here is a link with pictures which will make it very easy to follow.

Click HERE for a Great Guide with Pictures and More on How to Downgrade from Firmware 1.1.3

I hope this helped someone, I always liked information gathered in once place.

Swag

Dec 21, 2007
Zab, I am on a 1.1.1 jailbroken AT&T service, I was looking into upgrading to a jailbroken 1.1.2, if I follow the steps above will it delete all the programs, settings, customizing I did? Just curious if I have to start from scratch on making it "MyPhone"?!?!

Sep 29, 2007
Zab, I am on a 1.1.1 jailbroken AT&T service, I was looking into upgrading to a jailbroken 1.1.2, if I follow the steps above will it delete all the programs, settings, customizing I did? Just curious if I have to start from scratch on making it "MyPhone"?!?!
If you upgraded to 1.1.2 from your 1.1.1 jailbroken phone, you would lose all your 3rd party applications and etc. but first before restoring, sync your iPhone to iTunes and all your settings and contacts and etc. will be stored to iTunes so when you sync and activate your 1.1.2 jailbroken phone your settings will be there such as passwords for wifi and etc.

Yes your programs and customize will all be gone though and you will have to start from a clean installer app

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
you go to my thread about ZiPhone.

go to iPhone mods and look, its around the middle of the page.

this thread is obsolete.

ChArLiE713

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Thanks a bunch. So having 1.1.4 doesn't matter?