How to make the iPhone use Internet ONLY while connected to a wi-fi router

etdashou

Bronze
Jan 22, 2009
Hi all,

I bought an iPhone 3G but without any contract which cost 80$+ here in Canada. I'm still using my "normal" contract I have with FIDO (I transfered the SIM card).

So, I can connect to a Wi-Fi rooter with my iPhone and use the net.

But with my other cell phone (normal motorzr v3 cell phone), if I used the net (without wi-fi) it would cost me like 0.25$ / ko downloaded! (not sure of the price... example here).

So, how can I prevent my iPhone to use the internet of FIdo but ONLY when he is connected to a wi-fi router? (and don't have a huge bill)

thank you a lot all.

fc97accord

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
Vancouver
Make sure you get fido to do a data block otherwise the iPhone will use data without you doing it.

Once you get the block you should be ok to use your wifi

etdashou

Bronze
Jan 22, 2009
Wow

I was talking to one of my friend and he told exactly the same thing.

This is very good to know damn...

Data is blokced now :D

Thank you for the advice, hope it will help someone else.

etdashou

Bronze
Jan 22, 2009
I think my sentence wasn't written correctly.
Here is the story:
- I went to Fido and asked to buy an iPhone
- The seller said: "Ok, we sell you an iPhone if you get a contract with us (starting at 60$+tx+other= ~80$/month)
- I said I don't want a new contract, I will fit in my SIM card I already have. My contract of ~25$/month is WAY enough
- He said: "No, we won't sell you ONLY the iPhone"
- I said: "F*** y**" and "Bye"
- I bought an iPhone from someone selling it on the net
- I introduced my SIM card in my iPhone
- I now have an iPhone with all those nasty apps. Also nice features while I'm near a wireless router, which is often my case.

I hope I am clear.

By the way, to de-activate the data feature from your phone, when you call Fido you need to say to de-activate the data feature for iPhone. Because their is data feature for "normal" cell phones and data for iPhone.