How to Mod Your Phone After the Software Update v1.01

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

princess_80854

Silver
Jul 16, 2007
**I’m using a Windows PC, so this tutorial is a bit biased.**

I’ve seen a lot of questions about how to mod after the update, so I figured I would put together a simple tutorial for those who need help. If I’ve missed something or you have information that could prove useful to this tutorial, please PM me. I will add more to this tutorial as I think of more information that will help others.

MODDING AFTER THE UPDATE FOR THOSE WHO HAVE MODDED BEFORE

1/ Update your phone using iTunes. (iTunes will prompt you of the available update.)

2/ iTunes will restart your phone once update is complete.

3/ Go to the Start Menu, click Run, and copy this into the Run box:

%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates

And hit OK. A file window should pop up containing one file that starts with iPhone. Check whether it ends with ".ipsw" - if it doesn't, you'll have to turn on file extension display by going to the Tools menu -> Folder Options -> View tab -> Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types". Right-click the iPhone update file and choose "Rename". Give it the name "iPhone.zip" and press Enter, and confirm that you want to change the extension.

Now double-click the file to open its contents. Extract them all to your modding folder. Windows will ask you if you want to overwrite the existing files. Choose ‘yes”.

If you have previously restored your phone, after downloading this update, you’ll have two update files in the “iPhone Software Updates” folder when you run the command above. To make sure you choose the right one to extract to your modding folder, the new update has this file extension:

iPhone1,1_1.0.1_1C25_Restore.ipsw

4/ All you have to do now is choose your modding program of choice to change your icons and ringtones. Here are the apps you can choose from.

Manzana (NOT AVAILABLE)
iPhoneInterface http://www.wotan.org/jailbreak11.zip

Nothing about these apps have changed. So, you will use them the same way as before. They still work after the update.

So basically, since you’ve already modded before, the ONLY thing you will do is extract the new software update to your modding folder by following the directions above.

**If you are still having trouble modding after following these steps, I would simply suggest you RESTART both phone and computer and start fresh again by following the intial ten steps to open your phone for modding (link listed below). Create a new modding folder so that everything is fresh. Just my suggestion.**

MODDING AFTER THE UPDATE FOR BEGINNERS TO MODDING

If you’ve just updated your phone and have NEVER modded it before, you need to follow the initial ten steps to prepare your phone for modding.( This tutorial contains screenshots, so it makes it easy to follow.) Those steps can be found here..http://www.hacktheiPhone.com/iPhone_first_ten_steps_to_modding_windows.html

Once successfuly completed, you are now ready to mod your phone. Choose your modding app of choice from above to get started.

MODDING TIPS FOR BEGINNERS

*Make sure the icon or ringtone you want to add is in you “MODDING” folder.

*Icons need to have the same filename as the default icon.

*You can only add one ringtone/icon at a time.

*You only need to successfuly run jailbreak once.

*You don’t have to remove icons first before replacing them. The new icon simply replaces the old one.

*To add ringtones using iPhoneInterface, you would have to create a ringtone folder first. Then add your ringtones to that directory. There’s an easier way than this for those using Manzana. Click Applications/RingTones. Drag your ringtones (in m4a format) to this folder with the stock icons. You can also delete stock icons here as well.

*Restart the phone once you are done replacing icons to see your results.

**HAVE FUN**

Last edited by a moderator:

Lazarus

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Miami
Thankyou so much princess, so the update resets the iPhone to default right? so we have to add all our ringtones again?

princess_80854

Silver
Jul 16, 2007
Thankyou so much princess, so the update resets the iPhone to default right? so we have to add all our ringtones again?
Yes, the update will restore the phone to it's factory default settings. From what I've read, ringtones added using iPhoneRingToneMaker are NOT affected by the restore.