How to move docs to right apps?

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
So if there is one real angry rant I have about the iPhone that remains, it's this one. I know someone must have a great workaround for this that will keep me at abeyance, LOL! :D Yesterday I was out and about and had an unexpected meeting. I have all my docs available online via sugarsync and it's super sweet. One of my docs had a spreadsheet - no problem, right? The built in viewer in the iPHone will work.

Well... it was a csv file. If I was back on my BB or Treo, it was simple. Download the attachment and fire up docs to go and navigate and open the document. Problem is that the iPhone has the inane "sandbox system" and the only way I know of getting any doc into any application is to use WiFi and either (a) pair it with the app like docs to go, or (b) map a hard drive like quickoffice, or (c) get another app and do whatever it does and hope to god it is a universal super viewer.

So I'm hoping that someone can help me move docs to the right applications without Stevie's convoluted method which obviously makes the iPhone better. :D

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
So if there is one real angry rant I have about the iPhone that remains
I highly doubt that you have only 1 "real angry rant" left... :sneaky:

Last edited by a moderator:

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
I highly doubt that you have only 1 "real angry rant" left... :sneaky:
Now that I've been forced to come over to the dark, jailbreaking side, for the most part, many of the real issues are solved. I think everyone is much more p-oed after the miss an appointment because their damn phone's alarm was inauidible and they were out of range to get push (shove) notification, lol. :p

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
If you have jailbroken you are able to change your alarm sound...

All you have to do is find the sound file you want to replace the default one with and rename it "new-mail.caf" or whichever file it is youre replacing

cd /System/Library/Audio/UISounds
/System/Library/Audio/UISounds/new-mail.caf
/System/Library/Audio/UISounds/sms-received.caf
/System/Library/Audio/UISounds/alarm.caf

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
Thanks iNinja - that was the question on the other thread. This one, though, concerns a mission critical issue. I get documents all the time I need to view. For example, a powerpoint presentation comes in email.

1) I have the applications to view powerpoint on my phone. How can I just get the document to open with the right application?

2) If I don't save the document somewhere on my iPhone (which apparently I can't), if I keep receiving email, the iPhone will delete the email with the document because I can't "lock" the document from being autodeleted by the iPhone!

These are two common problems that I'm trying to solve. They are every day occurrences and is a major liability right now. Thanks. :D

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
Attachment Saver is an app available in Cydia. It will save any email attachment to your phone. The files are viewed with iFile app so you are still limited in choosing a viewer. Better than nothing?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
^That's what I was just going to suggest, Attachment Saver and iFile.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
You can do it, but it's kinda convoluted to do it.

The app store applications like docs2go are a pita to find, because the sandbox uses ddb numbers for the applications. Basically you go through all of them til you find the app you want, then remember it's number. You can then use iFile to copy (or cut) and paste the document you want into the appropriate folder. Open the app and view or edit the file.

Here are some screen shots.
I emailed the document to myself and saved the attachment with Attachementsaver from cydia. You can get both attachementsaver and iFile for 4 bucks by purchasing attachmentsaver first (not sure if it works if you purchase a registration for iFile first, but probably does). Attachmentsaver is 1.99, and you then buy iFile for 2 bucks (instead of 4) as a registered user of attachmentsaver.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009

Last edited by a moderator:

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
Muchas gracias, really, especially for taking all that time on screen shots. Damn... that is a major pita but at least if I need to in a crunch I can get to these files. Really, thanks. This is not an efficient way to do things at all but at least, in a crunch, I can do what I need to do.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
What would be nice would be if Apple would allow a specific folder to put all documents in, and allow devs access to that folder to view/edit documents in. Would make things a lot easier.

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
What would be nice would be if Apple would allow a specific folder to put all documents in, and allow devs access to that folder to view/edit documents in. Would make things a lot easier.
I discussed this with an Apple "genius" yesterday. They are in total denial and unfortunately I don't think this will be fixed soon, unfortunately. They are trying to rationalize why the sandbox approach is clearly the safest. So is abstinence but it sure can make life experience extremely dissatisfying. ;)

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Unless I had a gun to my head or absolutely had to do it, I would not try to find an application folder on the iPhone itself. I find them on my PC via SSH or iPhoneBrowser. Then it's a cinch to find it in iFile.

After you find it iFile just save the location as a bookmark and then you can easily get back to it again in the future.

--
Mike

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
I'm using SugarSync (which is awesome) and not sure I can easily use SSH to get through the firewall, etc. from remote locations. But the problem still remains - how do I get Microsoft Office readers and editors to just see the files? I bought a bunch of apps on the iPhone because they are the "best" at what they do, e.g. PDF readers, etc. But they are all worthless because unless you insanely use WiFi to transfer every document with that application, you can't even use the application. You can't even view attachments using that application or the files on box.net. I'm at a loss here and so far the crazy but possible way to edit those numbers seems to be the solution atm when i need it.

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
Would Mobile Me's idisk work for you? I just tested an Excel and PDF and Word file. All openned on my phone via the iDisk App.

I have also used air sharing as another app to for file transfers.

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
Would Mobile Me's idisk work for you? I just tested an Excel and PDF and Word file. All openned on my phone via the iDisk App.

I have also used air sharing as another app to for file transfers.
I'm not sure what you mean by the second sentence, but thanks for the input.

The problem is as follows - there are tons of applications but a few have special uses. For example, QuickOffice and Docs to Go allow EDITING Word and Excel, not just reading. The editors are not created equal and sometimes one is better than the other. There are also great PDF readers that also do text search, not just view. And sometimes one application might fail entirely. I've had Docs To Go not open on me twice and require reinstallation (and almost resulting in 250MB of invisible files in an invisible sandbox.)

The only solution for the iPhone is to copy all your documents several times onto the iPhone. Yes, it sounds incredibly stupid but that is how Apple has set it up. If you've got 500 MB of docs you'd like to carry with you (that's a small office), you have to copy it at least twice if not more on the iPhone. Using Docs to Go, you have to use WiFi to "pair" the device to sync it. Using QuickOffice you have to "map" a hard drive and drag files. Using the PDF reader, it's yet another method using WiFi. There is no way I can find to have one "centralized" doc area on the iPhone like every other phone, PDA, computer, laptop, etc. which has a file system. All the air sharing apps you mention cannot seem to find the sandbox folders for each application so you can move files between sandboxes.

Unfortunately, I think this file structure is the death of the iPhone for any serious businesss use and keeps it merely as an "entertainment device" and minimal businesss usage. I wonder whether document attachments will come any time soon too given this sandbox structure. Even jailbreaking doesn't solve this problem. Imagine having to have 3 copies of all your music on the iPhone.

I really appreciate everyone's help with this. I like my iPhone a lot and am trying to get it to work for simple stuff like this that many of us have done for years.

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
Thanks much - apparently air sharing creates its own sandbox for files and allows the iPhone to look like a hard disk for their specific application. It doesn't allow files to be shared between applications, only makes them accessible via safari. Cool but not useful as more than just a viewer too.

Quickoffice allows the iPhone to be mounted like a hard disk. Sugarsync does similar and allows me to have the files on my iPhone, PC, Mac and other devices synched too. But with this too, all of these solutions require that specific application too and the files aren't accessible by other applications.

Thanks for Google Docs. Unfortunately it's only a viewer too and also only visible in its own application too.

Still looking. :) Thanks much for helping with the quest. :)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Have you tried Mobile Me and iDisk?