How to open and seal up an iPod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod Touch' started by Iloveiphones, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

Hi, I was handed an iPod to repair because it has a white screen. I am not able to repair it. So how would i go about opening up the iPod then closing it up? I really do not want to buy a kit. Please help!

2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Checked iFixit to see if they have a tear down?

3. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

Yes, they don't give really an in depth tear down though...they say you need a metal Spudger and a Spudger but wouldn't a knife work?

The bigger question is how do I put the iPod back together?

4. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

I followed iFixit's screen repair guide when I attempted to repair a water damaged 2nd gen touch. (actually coffee damaged - my dad had it in the cup holder of his car, right next to his coffee)

It was easy to follow, and I did successfuly repair the screen. I used a combination of the spudgers from the iFixit kit and some guitar picks that came with a replacement screen that I bought on eBay and was able to get it open. As for getting it back in place, all I had to do was align things correctly and then press slowly but firmly until it snapped back in. But the circuit board was too badly damaged from the coffee and it died completely shortly thereafter.

2nd gen:
    http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-iPod-Touch-2nd-Generation-Display/1126/1
    3rd gen:
    http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-iPod-Touch-3rd-Generation-Display/3307/1

4th gen looks tricky, iFixit doesn't have it up yet, that one might require more than just spudgers and plastic screen removal tools since there isn't a soft gasket between the screen and the chassis.

The reason you don't want to use a knife (or really anything metal) is that it's likely to tear up stuff.