How to prepare for iOS untethered jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by php111, Jan 30, 2013.

1. php111

php111 Member
    Bronze

Hey everyone,

I'm really hoping someone could please help me?

I was reading, and saw this http://m.ibtimes.co.uk/ios6-untether...se-429360.html the untethered iOS 6 jailbreak could possibly be released this Sunday? That's great.

Will someone help out with step by step instructions what is exactly required from start to finish for preparing my iPhone 4 for this jailbreak including backing up, restoring like do I use redsn0w and enter DFU, and then iTunes for restoring, and saving blobs/tickets, and everything else? I also currently have the iOS 5.1.1 untethered jailbreak. Or no that no one won't be able to post those instructions?

Thank you everyone,

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They will post instructions/recommendations when it comes out, but based on past jailbreaks, here are some general guidelines:

1. Wait until the jailbreak is available.
    2. Backup your phone in iTunes.
    3. Restore to factory settings in iTunes (Do NOT erase all content and settings on the phone. It doesn't work on jailbroken devices). This will install 6.1.
    4. Run the jailbreak.
    5. Apply your backup and sync your media back on. This will restore settings, not the firmware. If you don't want to use your backup, you can set the phone up from scratch, but I've been using backups that were made on a jailbroken device for years and it's perfectly fine to do so.

3. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Thank you for this. One question that others may be wondering is if it is necessary to do this if we already restored as new when we installed 6.1.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You're welcome. Last night in the jailbreak thread, I explained why that's unnecessary. Did you see my post? I just did a regular update in iTunes today.

5. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

Great guide, Thanks!

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's looking like they aren't going to recommend running this jailbreak on an empty phone like they did on Absinthe. The envasi0n website went up last night and they said that the jailbreak only takes five minutes. If they don't recommend that, the instructions are easier. The OP can just update in iTunes (not OTA), which will unjailbreak the phone, and then run the jailbreak. Some people still like to restore between jailbreaks, though.

7. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I wonder if the recommendation to do a "full restore" mainly applies to folks that still have a jailbroken device? For example, about six weeks ago I restored my 4S as new that was still on 5.0.1 jailbroken. Last weekend I restored again to unlock my device, and then just updated to 6.1 when it was released. I'm thinking I'll just run the jailbreak on my phone as-is, considering what you just said.