How to recover data from crashed iPhone 3G during software update

Discussion in 'iPhone 3G' started by psybacc, Aug 20, 2008.

1. psybacc

psybacc New Member

while trying to install the new software my iPhone 3g crashed. It says I have to restore the iPhone in order to use with iTunes which will delete all the data on the device including more than 600 not backed up photos :(

is there a way for me to save these photos after restoring.

does the restoring process deletes all the data on the memory. can I save at least some of the photos with a recovery software (and can anyone can suggest a free or relatively cheap one)

thanks for the help..

2. Tex

Tex New Member
    Silver

I remember seeing this in another thread.

I did not have this problem, but seems like others did.

Apple is starting to get on my nerves. I used to trust their software...not any more. This is getting quite annoying, and I am not necessarily effected as badly as other users out here. I wonder if these same software quirks are affecting v1 users.

3. mlass

mlass Member
    Silver

I have had it up to here, but still love this God Damn Phone.

4. mlass

mlass Member
    Silver

Does the iPhone Power Up? If Yes, go to My Computer (on a PC) and you should see a drive for the iPhone with your Pics. (May or May Not work)

5. psybacc

psybacc New Member

unfortunately it doesn't.

6. psybacc

psybacc New Member

I solved my problem following the instructions on this thread:

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/file-mods/237321-how-iphone-data-recovery.html

Basically you log into your iPhone with SSH, copying the image of the whole memory and then recover the photos from the image.

I was able to rescue all my photos. Eventough I repeated the recovery porcess countess times. Apparently all data remains on the memory after the restore as long as it doesn't get overwritten..

thanks guys for the help.

7. bulletmehta

bulletmehta New Member

I have had the same problem and am going to try this. Thanks in advance. One question though. Did you restore your phone and then try this or did you manage to get in SSH without restoring? Thanks

8. margaretale

margaretale New Member

I have encountered this problem before, and I tell you, you need access to the flash memory(i.e. hard drive).

Usually when a file deleted, it really isn't deleted per se. It still is possible to recover them, however.

But you need access to the hard drive or the ability to let a program scan everything on it.

Unless you jailbreak or unlock your iPhone, you may never see those photos again. It is your best chance. It will require some skill and knowledge of the iPhone and how it works, but I have posted a tutorial under "Sources".