How to recover deleted pictures from iPhone

Nightbird

Oct 17, 2011
Thanks for the reply. It turns out I had these pics already saved as I just found them..thank goodness. But thanks again for responding!

Locutus

Bronze
Aug 22, 2010
On a Windows PC the iPhone mounts just like a hard drive when connected. I always copy any photos I want to keep to a folder on my computer. I don't trust iTunes and the sync process when it comes to handling photos.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
On a Windows PC the iPhone mounts just like a hard drive when connected. I always copy any photos I want to keep to a folder on my computer. I don't trust iTunes and the sync process when it comes to handling photos.

That's by far the best method. It's a good lesson for people to learn when they don't back their content up.

jc73

Oct 31, 2011
I forgot to backup and after i upgraded to iOS5, all my photos are gone! I tried what Locutus said using Phone Disk App but it didn't work as it only shows files that are currently in iOS5. There is no archive of files from previous OS. Is there anyway to retrieve the photos saved in previous OS before it was upgraded?

Nov 1, 2011
So last night I was looking through photos in iPhone 4 photo album, realized I hadn't yet uploaded all of them to iPhoto. Plugged in my phone, and it said there was only 1 photo to import, and it wasn't from the most recently taken. I hit "import all" anyways hoping it would pick up the rest. I chose the option "Keep Photos [on iPhone]" since I wasn't quite sure what it would import. No such luck, it only imported that 1 older picture.. Then I unplugged my phone and the screen changed to a wait/progress bar and said "updating photo library". Once it was done, all the pictures I had taken this weekend were simply gone. I hadn't clicked "share" or "delete" or anything within the photo album app. I'm really upset and hoping someone can tell me if it's possible to recover the pictures I took this weekend that got erased for seemingly no reason.

Locutus

Bronze
Aug 22, 2010
It's situations like yours why I don't trust applications that supposedly handle transferring photos for you. It's just too easy for something to go wrong and then you lose all your photos.
I have iTunes configured to NOT automatically sync with my iPhone when I plug it in. I also have disabled photo syncing as I simply copy the photo manually into a separate folder.
You don't need any special programs to copy your photos manually if you are using Windows 7. Windows 7 recognizes the iPhone like it would a USB drive. That way you can access your photos through Windows like you any USB drive you would connect to your PC and simply drag the files to the folder of your choice.

Locutus

Bronze
Aug 22, 2010
I forgot to backup and after i upgraded to iOS5, all my photos are gone! I tried what Locutus said using Phone Disk App but it didn't work as it only shows files that are currently in iOS5. There is no archive of files from previous OS. Is there anyway to retrieve the photos saved in previous OS before it was upgraded?
Try a program called iPhone Backup Extractor. I think it costs $25 or so. Just point it to one of your earlier backups and extract the photos from it.
I hope that helps.

Nov 10, 2011
hi,

got a question. my laptop was stolen and all my backup files are inside that computer, but before i could sync my iPhone into another pc, is crash, and itune force it to restore and update to IOS 5.. my question is can i recover my photo in any way?

eyeyayee

Jan 8, 2012
I just recovered my lost photos by following Mikeyisfresh's advice. Plug your iPhone with your computer then click right at your phone name under the device and then click at " restore from back up". It will take a few mins to be done, but it's worth to see some lost photos. Well, Mikeyisfresh is right though, I have to thank him too.

Jan 20, 2012
I felt like I was having a breakdown today when I thought I had lost some video from my son's first birthday party and first haircut... I had been transferring the pics/videos to my laptop, but I had been getting an error message with those videos. I just asked a co-worker yesterday, how I could transfer large videos. He suggested iTunes (of which I never use). So, this morning, I hook my phone up and start to register for iTunes... the next thing I know, my phone is updating my library and then ALL of my pics and videos were gone....

I googled and found this site, but since I had never setup my iTunes account, Mikeyisfresh's solution did not work for me... However, this did:

Plug your phone in and click on 'Computer' to view your drives.... You will see your iPhone there..... Click on it, then click on internal storage... then click on your folder(s).... ALL of my pics and videos were there and I am saving them elsewhere as we speak.

I hope this makes someone's day, it made mine :eek:)!

Jan 27, 2012
I felt like I was having a breakdown today when I thought I had lost some video from my son's first birthday party and first haircut... I had been transferring the pics/videos to my laptop, but I had been getting an error message with those videos. I just asked a co-worker yesterday, how I could transfer large videos. He suggested iTunes (of which I never use). So, this morning, I hook my phone up and start to register for iTunes... the next thing I know, my phone is updating my library and then ALL of my pics and videos were gone....

I googled and found this site, but since I had never setup my iTunes account, Mikeyisfresh's solution did not work for me... However, this did:

Plug your phone in and click on 'Computer' to view your drives.... You will see your iPhone there..... Click on it, then click on internal storage... then click on your folder(s).... ALL of my pics and videos were there and I am saving them elsewhere as we speak.

Jan 27, 2012

Very Sorry to say that the "deleted," pictures were not there...so sad.

Jan 20, 2012
:( I am sorry to hear that... Thanks for your comment, and don't give up... As long as you don't do a master reset, there is still hope. Did you see any folders?

Feb 24, 2012
Ok here we go there are two fairly simple solutions one you can find anyone with an iPod iPhone or iPad with the same firmware as you had and simple restore their device from your backup then bingo you can the save just your photos and replace them. The other solution is weirdly tabo jailbreak! It's not Bad for your device and doesn't take a genius to do it. Once you jailbreak however you can restore to ios 4.1 and restore from backup if that's where you iOS 4 was at in it was later version sorry no dice. But you can still recover with ifile hope this help

iHolophyte

Contributor
Bronze
Feb 19, 2012
Manchester UK
www.youtube.com
2009 was the start date to this topic. This day and age you just use iCloud. Wasn't so back in 2009 and what you deleted was gone for good. (Why is this topic still going, has it still not been confirmed what was deleted has gone?)

iHolophyte

dondreakc

Feb 24, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Since most of you are probably not Windows fans I think you need an opinion of a Windows tech. No, the 2nd person was incorrect. iPhones do NOT load in Windows like a regular drive. There is no drive letter when you hookup your iPhone. Which prevents you from using normal Windows tools to recover data. Apple needs to change the way iTunes works. I hear TONS of complaints about people losing files. At least in Windows you know when you lose something. The Generic Message by iTunes that you Might lose data isn't specific enough. Camera Roll does not Automatically backup with backups.

I think the Apple Engineers are just as much, maybe even more arrogant than Microsoft Engineers. Both of them need to get their heads out of their backsides and listen to the "End User". They seem to have that "Judge Judy" attitude that we are all idiots.

To quote a famous American... "Can't we all just get along".