How to recover deleted pictures from iPhone

Feb 24, 2012
It's not lost sometimes it's saved on your phone as other in iTunes so jailbreak and ifile can get it out or you can use the other two methods I suggested

Locutus

Bronze
Aug 22, 2010
Since most of you are probably not Windows fans I think you need an opinion of a Windows tech. No, the 2nd person was incorrect. iPhones do NOT load in Windows like a regular drive. There is no drive letter when you hookup your iPhone. Which prevents you from using normal Windows tools to recover data. Apple needs to change the way iTunes works. I hear TONS of complaints about people losing files. At least in Windows you know when you lose something. The Generic Message by iTunes that you Might lose data isn't specific enough. Camera Roll does not Automatically backup with backups.

I think the Apple Engineers are just as much, maybe even more arrogant than Microsoft Engineers. Both of them need to get their heads out of their backsides and listen to the "End User". They seem to have that "Judge Judy" attitude that we are all idiots.

To quote a famous American... "Can't we all just get along".
I am a Windows 7 user and when I connect my iPhone 4 to my workstation via USB, my PC does indeed read my iPhone as if a portable device has been connected. I've tried this with success on multiple PCs.
This gives me access to the DCIM folder where the recorded media (photos and videos) is stored. I can copy to and from this folder with no problems.

I do, however, agree that Apple needs to change the way iTunes works and give more control to the user....especially on Windows 7 PCs.

Sent from my iPhone 4 JB iOS 4.3.3 using iCafe app

Attachments

AndytheClown

Bronze
May 25, 2011
I've not seen a way of recovering deleted information direct from an iPhone/iPad

I believe at the moment, the only way is to recover from an iTunes backup. If you've backed up with iTunes and forgotten you're password then you're probably stuffed, as an encrypted iTunes backup is pretty tightly secured.

Google is your friend....

S

Srishti Mehta

If you sync your iPhone with iTunes then the deleted photographs captured by your iPhone can also be restored back, even if the sync was not there in the first place. All this possible with the help of iPhone's backup.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
If you sync your iPhone with iTunes then the deleted photographs captured by your iPhone can also be restored back, even if the sync was not there in the first place. All this possible with the help of iPhone's backup.
Love to know HOW you can recover deleted items from a backup/sync that never existed. ?
If there was a previous backup performed, then the only items that can be retrieved are from that point back.

AndytheClown

Bronze
May 25, 2011
[Quote removed]

I really think you should do a little more research into a subject before posting what could be deemed as a simple response. An iPhone or iPad doesn't worked like a standard USB device or memory card or camera. It's file system cannot be directly accessed by recovery software, so your solution I would say is incorrect. You cannot just download recovery software.

May 10, 2012
Love to know HOW you can recover deleted items from a backup/sync that never existed. ?
If there was a previous backup performed, then the only items that can be retrieved are from that point back.
Yes i would like to know the same thing. My daughter deleted all her little brothers pictures that i just took of him this weekend before i backed up/sync. I am so upset right now.....They were his first day of school at church pictures and first time skateboarding at the skate park. Ugh! how can i get them back. Where is the recycle bin in the phone?

AndytheClown

Bronze
May 25, 2011
I really don't think you can. It's easy from a backup, and you should ALWAYS backup your iDevices before doing anything. As iTunes suggests. I know this doesn't really help now as the photos have gone. I would guess in theory, it would be possible/easier to do this from an app on the device, but if it WAS easy then it would have been already done via a jailbreak and be available on Cydia, which I don't think it is.

Thoughts anybody?

May 10, 2012
I really don't think you can. It's easy from a backup, and you should ALWAYS backup your iDevices before doing anything. As iTunes suggests. I know this doesn't really help now as the photos have gone. I would guess in theory, it would be possible/easier to do this from an app on the device, but if it WAS easy then it would have been already done via a jailbreak and be available on Cydia, which I don't think it is.

Thoughts anybody?
Man I'm so bummed out about this! Do you know of any app that prevents anyone from deleting any pics without a password or something? i don't like locking the kids out of my phone completely just in case, god forbid, they need to call 911 or something. im hoping when i get t work tmrw they will be on my computer. I'm not sure if i plugged my phone in this week.....i hope so. Well thanks for the response. I appreciate it. :)

AndytheClown

Bronze
May 25, 2011
I have an app called photo-sort, when i copy all my important pics to, I suppose you could hide this app in a folder somewhere, that way you could have two copies of important pics, else just back up as often as you can. Or copy the pics to the pc as often.

May 10, 2012
I have an app called photo-sort, when i copy all my important pics to, I suppose you could hide this app in a folder somewhere, that way you could have two copies of important pics, else just back up as often as you can. Or copy the pics to the pc as often.
Yes, that's exactly what I'm going to! Back up every night. Thank you for the advice. Oh well, lesson learned.

Jun 14, 2012
I've also like many of you had my pictures deleted for no reason! The only difference is that I was actually backing up my phone, when it decided to do something and it seemed to restore it's self. I'm not sure how or why. The only thing it deleted was my photo's which is actually 1,000+ majority are from nights out and events, and quite a few holiday pics. But I had already backed up my phone to my pc previously and it shows that i've only got one backup which is the one where it deleted my photo's. I've tried restoring about 4/5 times. Totally gutted, first time it's happened to me in 3/4yrs of having an iPhone.

I really hope someone can help, as usual the 'Genius Bar' are useless as ever.

Catalina

Jul 20, 2012
I have a question but I think is quite obvious that my problem can`t be solve...I backup my new iPhone 4S today with my previous iPhone 4 and the problem is that in the new 4s I had some photos...whan I did the backup all my new photos werw deleted and instead of them my old photos from my iPhone 4 were there...I didn`t have a iCloud account...do you think I have a chance to recover my new photos?
Please help me!
Thanks!

Catalina

Jul 20, 2012
I have a question but I think is quite obvious that my problem can`t be solve...I backup my new iPhone 4S today with my previous iPhone 4 and the problem is that in the new 4s I had some photos...whan I did the backup all my new photos werw deleted and instead of them my old photos from my iPhone 4 were there...I didn`t have a iCloud account...do you think I have a chance to recover my new photos?

Please help me! Thanks!

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY

Please help me! Thanks!
You may have a backup of your iPhone 4S created at the time of restoring from the original backup. Check iTunes Preferences -> Devices. On the left side of the list of backups, it will have the name of the device followed by a specific date (not just the date on the right side). That is a backup created prior to a restore, and your best bet for going back to how your 4S was before you restored it (assuming you remember what time you did it).

Also see this post I made a few weeks ago about backups: http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/i-messed-up-what-are-my-options.96696/#post-953918

AndytheClown

Bronze
May 25, 2011
Again, another post enters my inbox says 2 options.. 3rd party app to scan your phone or uses can iTunes and use a 3rd party backup extractor program. Backup extraction is possible I know, if you have backuped up your iDevice... But to scan the iDevice it's self... Can anyone name a 3rd party program they used and tested successfuly? As I havnt found one yet that does this? Andy x

energybell

Dec 3, 2012
The solution that worked for me turned out to lie not in getting the data off the iPhone (despite trying numerous methods and applications, I couldn't find a way to retrieve files that have been deleted, if they haven't been backed up) but in simply using the Finder to find the photos hiding on the mac in the iphoto library where they had been imported, but weren't showing up.. copy them to a new folder, and re-import them.

Dec 23, 2012
Try Decipher Backup Browser. deciphertools (dot) com
I used the software to access & export all my iPhone photos from my last backup after I lost my iPhone. The software saved my rear end. I thought I had lost them all. Good luck.