How to reformat Time Capsule that isn't being used as router

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Lately, when copying files to my Time Capsule, the copy process stalls occasionally. There is no error message of any kind. I would like to reformat my Time Capsule, or at the very least, run a verify on it. It is the 1 TB capacity of the older model (2008) that looks like this (not my photograph):

1600-TimeCapsule2T_box.jpg

I just finished updating the firmware. I have followed Apple's directions to a T, but no luck. I am using the Time Capsule in offline mode; it is neither creating nor extending my wireless network. It is simply functioning as an external drive connected to my iMac via an Ethernet cable, and I perform my backups manually (i.e. simple cut and paste of folders I wish to back up, as opposed to using Time Machine).

Here's a screenshot of where I'm at.

situation.jpg (thumbnail; click to expand)

As you can see, I cannot finish following the directions in the support document because the tab I'm supposed to click on is nowhere to be found. I went into the Preferences menu of Airport Utility to see if there was some sidebar I had to enable/display, but there's nothing there. Right-clicking on the drive's icon does nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Update: I have figured it out. I had to click on the Edit button. Thanks, Apple, for not keeping your support documents up-to-date. Your support document is for an older version of Airport Utility. This website helped:

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/hidden-clicks-reveal-network-info-in-Apples-airport-utility-6

Last edited:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I read 3/4 of your post, made a screenshot and was just about to post it when I noticed your edit/update.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I read 3/4 of your post, made a screenshot and was just about to post it when I noticed your edit/update.
Sorry for wasting your time, and thank you for the time you took to help me! If this happens to me again, I will post the Update at the TOP of the post... Or simply erase my own post and write "mod, please delete".