How to remove invalid email addresses from the quick search box

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dwaldmann, Jan 17, 2011.

1. dwaldmann

dwaldmann New Member

When you start typing a name in the To box iPhone seems to first look for previously used addresses rather than the Contact list. This is very problematic when someone changes their email address, as it displays the old one before the new one. When you have several people in the lookup the one you want may well be below the visible screen and you have no idea that you might need to pick a different one.

In Outlook when you type a name directly in the To box you can delete it once displayed and it will no longer be in the list - you have to get it from the contacts. There must be a similar option on the iPhone, isn't there?! I'm using the standard iOS 4.2.1 Mail app.

Thanks!
    -d

2. PDACPA

PDACPA Member
    Silver

As far as I know, you cannot delete them. I searched this a few months ago and there was no fix other than wiping the phone and starting over.

3. dwaldmann

dwaldmann New Member

Lame.

Did I say LAME?

Oh, I meant

LAME!

4. Lanie91

Lanie91 New Member

I just joined this forum to ask the very same question! I tried emailing my sister but I had a typo (oops). Now the wrong address keeps coming up first. No way to get rid of it? LAME! :)

5. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Unfortunately, this is still an issue that hasn't been resolved, as far I know :( If your phone is jail broken there is a tweak for this, but on a stock device I have never found a way either. Yes rather lame and a slight pain.

6. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

It is kind of lame but not that uncommon. I'm not sure it's as easy as the OP suggests in Outlook. I have always had to go into the n2k file and delete from there.

7. Lanie91

Lanie91 New Member

It's simple in outlook, as you type the name, scroll down with the arrow key and hit the DELETE button (not backspace). Hope this helps :)

8. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Thanks. Didn't think it was that easy in Outlook 2003. I will try it in OL2010.
    You changed your avatar already! ;)

9. verwon

verwon Evangelist
    Gold

There is a way to do it using iBackupbot, remove them from the backup, then restore.

Yes, a complete PIA!

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!