How to remove unwanted data when using the search facility

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Paul6car, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Paul6car

Paul6car New Member

Following the success I have had with a recent query and reply on this forum I wonder if you could suggest a solution to the following:-
    I usually delete my messages when I have read them and then delete them in the Trash folder when there are quite a few messages in it.
    I thought that all traces of my messages would be deleted.
    However when I use the search facility a large number of deleted items appear as if they are still stored in the phone.
    I have deleted them on Yahoo mail as well as my trash etc.
    This occurs on my original iPhone and my ipad.
    I have looked at a number of other forums and the response to the aforementioned is that it is a software problem still occurs on the latest phones and Apple are aware of it but are ignoring it.
    Have you any comments or suggestions?

2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Maybe the emails were being archived, not deleted. ?

3. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I am wondering about this as well but when it comes to deleted contacts.

4. Paul6car

Paul6car New Member

Now you have me.
    I am reasonably experienced with Windows (dreaded word) but iOS leaves me standing.
    When you say archived - where?
    Could it be in the iPhone / tablet or do Yahoo archive them even when they have been Deleted?

I have just shut the wi fi connection off and the data is still available to search on both items so it must be archived on them.
    Your thoughts would be welcome.
    Regards
    Paul

5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Try this: Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendar>email account(separate)>Account(email address)>Advanced>Deleted mailbox Set that here. Also set Archived.

Sent using iCafe app

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

If it says delete (not archive) when you delete it, it should get rid of it when you empty the trash. The default for Gmail is archive. I'm not sure about Yahoo, but it might be set to archive as well. Also, make sure you are deleting the correct one if you have two trash cans.

7. Paul6car

Paul6car New Member

Hi,
    Thanks for your advice.
    I have tried your suggestion and it removed all unwanted data as far as I can tell.
    The operating system on the old iPhone is 3.1.3 which has the advanced button as you stated.
    However my ipad using 7.0.4 has a similar system but no advanced button so I will have a think about how to delete the unwanted remains visible in search from it.
    Any suggestions would be welcome.
    Thanks again.

8. Paul6car

Paul6car New Member

Thanks for your reply.
    As you can see from my above reply the suggestion made by Ledsteplin worked on the phone but was not available on the ipad.
    I have removed all trace of mail in my Yahoo mail including archive etc. but unfortunately with no effect.
    I will keep investigating and keep you in the picture.
    Many thanks.

9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I would have thought it the same as with the iPhones. But I don't yet have an iPad, so I can't explore those settings. It seems odd to me that it's not there. My accounts are gmail. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Sent using iCafe app

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I just checked my iPad (7.1.4) and it is set up exactly like my iPhone. You get to the advanced settings the same way. Select the account, click on the account name. Advanced is listed at the bottom.

11. Paul6car

Paul6car New Member

Thanks for your comments.
    I checked a more modern iPhone last night and it has the advanced button on it as described. The problem has now been solved please see my comment to the next suggestion.
    Thanks again.

12. Paul6car

Paul6car New Member

Hi,
    I have to hang my head in shame.
    I have just had a close look at the account setting and (please don't laugh) I wiped my finger over the screen and hidden below is the Advanced button.
    I think its time I retired from using technology and went back to using pen and paper.
    Thanks again.
    Regards
    Paul
    PS What a great forum

13. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Don't feel too bad, I sometimes can't find something in my settings that I've already seen several times. I'm 61 and the computer in my head seems to be having memory problems. A hard reset is out of the question. :)

Sent using iCafe app