How to restore from backup?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jwp, Jun 23, 2009.

1. jwp

jwp New Member
    Bronze

This may have been asked many times, but how do I restore my iPhone 3g from the "backup"? Everytime I sync, it says its "backing up my iPhone". Where is this backup file?
    When I first attmepted to update to OS 3.0, I got some kind of error message and it locked up my phone (non-jailbroke). I ended up telling it to "restore". Unfortunately, it restored it back to the factory config. Lost all my contacts, photos, calendar entries, etc... Finally got the OS 3 update in and the next time I synced it replaced most of my contacts. Some contacts were still gone and all my pictures and calendar entries were still gone.
    So...sorry for the long story.....how does one just take your phone back to its last backup point?

2. jdinner

jdinner New Member
    Bronze

With your phone connected in iTunes, right click the phone in "devices" on the left column and choose, 'restore from backup'

3. jwp

jwp New Member
    Bronze

Wow, now thats simple. You would think that would be one of the "options" they would give you when you first connect. Thanks!

4. Cobra302

Cobra302 New Member

i actually just got off the phone with Apple support where they told me the same thing. lol, i should have come here first.

5. RedStripe

RedStripe New Member

When you Restore from Backup, what does and does not get restored? I've heard apps don't get restored, is that correct?

I'm not talking about syncing apps. For example, if I've never used iTunes to sync my iPhone since the first day I activated it (except to do a backup), and have since downloaded 100+ apps directly on the iPhone through the App Store app, but never used the "Transfer purchases" to sync my iPhone apps to iTunes, will I lose all my apps when I do a Restore from Backup?

6. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

I've never really had occasion or need to restore my phone but have been thinking of doingReally starting to bother me when at times when I tap the end call button the phone just freezes. Been happening more and more.

When I hook up to iTunes there is the button to restore to factory settings. But I want to restore from backup, right? Don't see that as an option.

Can somebody tell me how to do this?

7. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

When in iTunes, look for your phone to be connected, upper right corner for me.. Click on the device, then click on the Summary tab. The second block of info will have manually back up and restore. Just pick the restore from the list that pops up. That should do it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

Also..If those aren't showing up for you, try plugging your phone into your USB port.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Hit the restore button. When it's done restoring the firmware it will ask if you want to set it up as a new device or use your most recent backup.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. Ms Cola

Ms Cola Member
    Bronze

Don't forget to backup first before you restore the phone. iTunes should ask you if it doesn't have a resent backup.

Sent using iCafe app

11. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

That's the missing step I didn't know about...thanks everybody!

So is it a good idea to restore and maybe it will settle this phone down?

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

If a hard reset didn't fix it, a restore is the next step.

13. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

OK...reluctantly I am going to do it. I've done lots of hard resets but clearly it's not fixing anything. But I am going to upgrade from 6.0 first. lol

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You don't need to upgrade and then restore; you can just restore to 6.0.2.

15. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Oh cool. Thanks. :)