How to Restore Jailbroken iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by NickT916, May 14, 2011.

1. NickT916

NickT916 Member
    Bronze

A few times i have been wanting to go back to not being jailbroken, and in the past, older iPhones you could easily, but i remember i had a jailbroken iPhone 4 and i went to restore it and it pretty much got stuck and i had to sell it stuck. now im jailbroken again, but im having an issue with edge/3G and i want to go to Apple to see if they can fix it or just give me a new one, but i know if they see it being jailbroken they wont help me

cant someone help please? Im on 4.3.3 4.10.01 thx!

2. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

well Nick, first question is "do you have tinyumbrella installed?"
    if you do, you need to launch it, open the advanced tab and uncheck the second box to point to cydia's servers. if you don't, you will get error 1013, which is a minor pain.
    other than that, it should be a piece of cake- with one large exception. if you have any tweaks installed that hide apps or folders, you need to restore those apps and folders (and carrier info changes) back to stock before restoring. if you don't, they remain hidden after the restore with no way to get to them, except the spotlight search.

3. NickT916

NickT916 Member
    Bronze

hawk, i have tinyumbrella, but only used it once, not sure of its features, is there a step by step guide for this? i keep searching and finding regular restoration through iTunes, but im affraid that it will most likely brick the iPhone if i do a regular restore through iTunes?

unless i put the phone into DFU or make a custom file with snowbreeze? i only have one shot at restoring it, don't want to mess it up, if someone can post a guide or link ill be sure to save it!

4. NickT916

NickT916 Member
    Bronze

5. NickT916

NickT916 Member
    Bronze

1013 ... hmm

6. NickT916

NickT916 Member
    Bronze

thanks hawk for the push, got the full restore done, and now 3g and Edge works just fine, by doing the following

Windows:
    Step 1. Start –> Programs –> Accessories
    Step 2. Run Notepad or WordPad
    Step 3. Click “Open..” from File menu.
    Step 4. Browse to Windows/System32/drivers/etc
    Step 5. In "files of type:" select all documents
    Step 6. Open "hosts"
    Step 7. Delete all line that has "gs.apple.com" or something like that
    Step 8. Hit Save
    Step 9. Restore your device

7. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

glad you got it done!

8. Richard_P_Harvey

Bronze

I'm a little confused - I'm currently running 4.1 and it's broken. I'm wanting to the most current iOS, why can't I just upgrade via iTunes and loose my JB...?

9. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Unless you've modified your hosts file, you have nothing to worry about. Just hit the update button and your phone will update, then re-jailbreak. Personally I always restore to stock firmware, then I reapply the jailbreak.

10. Richard_P_Harvey

Bronze

Thanks Warrior, that's what I thought...

11. NickT916

NickT916 Member
    Bronze

had another jailbroken iPhone that i was trying to factory restore and got an error 1634 or something and it was stuck in the iTunes logo loop.

I used sn0wbreese to create a custom firmware, then i was able to restore with that, then after i jailbroke, i went back into the iTunes logo loop again, kinda strange.

i used tinyumbrella and was able to kick it out of the loop.

Apple sure is making it harder and harder each time lol ... nice to have a challange :)

12. GoBlue83

GoBlue83 New Member

This looks like the place I need to be. Here is my situation I have a iPhone 4 that is jailbroken with 4.3.1. The problem is My home button is barely functioning and I want to take it to Apple before my 1 year warranty ends TOMORROW. However, I do not know what I need to do to restore. The top of my Cydia shows 4.3.3 , also I have used Tiny Umbrella but I am not really sure how it works. If anyone can help me "virginize" my iPhone that would be outstanding. Can I go to iTunes and restore? I am not worried about losing all my apps, I have Xbackup and I have backed up my phone via iTunes. I just need to unjailbreak this thing so I can take it to Apple and hopefully they can swap me a new one. If someone can help me that would be AMAZING.

Thanks

#12 GoBlue83, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2014
  13. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Follow the steps in Post #6 and then restore via iTunes and you should be fine.

14. bingoldsby

bingoldsby Member
    Bronze

QUESTION: How does the "gs.apple.com" entry get into the Hosts File? My hosts file does not contain any entries relating to Apple or the iPhone. I have Verizon, have JB'd 4.2.8, and seemingly done similar things to the phone that other folks are reporting here. Just curious. Thanks

Brian

15. NickTru18

NickTru18 New Member

So, I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 4.2.1 and I tried to clear all it's data and settings under setting>general>reset and now it's just been sitting in the turn on stage with the little skeleton Apple sign. And sometimes it will go to a blank screen the it will act like it's turning on then it will stay at the skeleton Apple sign.... Please help me! ASAP please!

16. Faz81

Faz81 New Member

17. JJB

JJB New Member

So I need help. I currently have a jailbroken iPhone 4s. I want to restore it to before it was it was jailbroken but i keep reading that if you restore it the phone will not work anymore. Ive read multiple stories on this problem. Is this true?

18. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

It should work fine after a restore. You just won't have a jailbroken iPhone at that point.

19. JJB

JJB New Member

But it wont not work right? I want to restore it from being jailbroken. I just want to be able to have a phone after. Aha

20. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I restored my jailbroken iPhone 4S tonight. No problem at all. Of course, I then jailbroke it again. :)