How to Restore Jailbroken iPhone 4?

NickT916

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
A few times i have been wanting to go back to not being jailbroken, and in the past, older iPhones you could easily, but i remember i had a jailbroken iPhone 4 and i went to restore it and it pretty much got stuck and i had to sell it stuck. now im jailbroken again, but im having an issue with edge/3G and i want to go to Apple to see if they can fix it or just give me a new one, but i know if they see it being jailbroken they wont help me

cant someone help please? Im on 4.3.3 4.10.01 thx!

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
well Nick, first question is "do you have tinyumbrella installed?"
if you do, you need to launch it, open the advanced tab and uncheck the second box to point to cydia's servers. if you don't, you will get error 1013, which is a minor pain.
other than that, it should be a piece of cake- with one large exception. if you have any tweaks installed that hide apps or folders, you need to restore those apps and folders (and carrier info changes) back to stock before restoring. if you don't, they remain hidden after the restore with no way to get to them, except the spotlight search.

NickT916

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
hawk, i have tinyumbrella, but only used it once, not sure of its features, is there a step by step guide for this? i keep searching and finding regular restoration through iTunes, but im affraid that it will most likely brick the iPhone if i do a regular restore through iTunes?

unless i put the phone into DFU or make a custom file with snowbreeze? i only have one shot at restoring it, don't want to mess it up, if someone can post a guide or link ill be sure to save it!

NickT916

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
thanks hawk for the push, got the full restore done, and now 3g and Edge works just fine, by doing the following

Windows:
Step 1. Start –> Programs –> Accessories
Step 2. Run Notepad or WordPad
Step 3. Click “Open..” from File menu.
Step 4. Browse to Windows/System32/drivers/etc
Step 5. In "files of type:" select all documents
Step 6. Open "hosts"
Step 7. Delete all line that has "gs.apple.com" or something like that
Step 8. Hit Save
Step 9. Restore your device

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
glad you got it done!

Jan 28, 2010
I'm a little confused - I'm currently running 4.1 and it's broken. I'm wanting to the most current iOS, why can't I just upgrade via iTunes and loose my JB...?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I'm a little confused - I'm currently running 4.1 and it's broken. I'm wanting to the most current iOS, why can't I just upgrade via iTunes and loose my JB...?
Unless you've modified your hosts file, you have nothing to worry about. Just hit the update button and your phone will update, then re-jailbreak. Personally I always restore to stock firmware, then I reapply the jailbreak.

NickT916

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
had another jailbroken iPhone that i was trying to factory restore and got an error 1634 or something and it was stuck in the iTunes logo loop.

I used sn0wbreese to create a custom firmware, then i was able to restore with that, then after i jailbroke, i went back into the iTunes logo loop again, kinda strange.

i used tinyumbrella and was able to kick it out of the loop.

Apple sure is making it harder and harder each time lol ... nice to have a challange :)

GoBlue83

Jun 22, 2011
This looks like the place I need to be. Here is my situation I have a iPhone 4 that is jailbroken with 4.3.1. The problem is My home button is barely functioning and I want to take it to Apple before my 1 year warranty ends TOMORROW. However, I do not know what I need to do to restore. The top of my Cydia shows 4.3.3 , also I have used Tiny Umbrella but I am not really sure how it works. If anyone can help me "virginize" my iPhone that would be outstanding. Can I go to iTunes and restore? I am not worried about losing all my apps, I have Xbackup and I have backed up my phone via iTunes. I just need to unjailbreak this thing so I can take it to Apple and hopefully they can swap me a new one. If someone can help me that would be AMAZING.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
Follow the steps in Post #6 and then restore via iTunes and you should be fine.

bingoldsby

Bronze
May 25, 2011
QUESTION: How does the "gs.apple.com" entry get into the Hosts File? My hosts file does not contain any entries relating to Apple or the iPhone. I have Verizon, have JB'd 4.2.8, and seemingly done similar things to the phone that other folks are reporting here. Just curious. Thanks

Brian

NickTru18

Oct 12, 2011
So, I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 4.2.1 and I tried to clear all it's data and settings under setting>general>reset and now it's just been sitting in the turn on stage with the little skeleton Apple sign. And sometimes it will go to a blank screen the it will act like it's turning on then it will stay at the skeleton Apple sign.... Please help me! ASAP please!

Faz81

Jan 21, 2012
This looks like the place I need to be. Here is my situation I have a iPhone 4 that is jailbroken with 4.3.1. The problem is My home button is barely functioning and I want to take it to Apple before my 1 year warranty ends TOMMOROW. However, I do not know what I need to do to restore. The top of my Cydia shows 4.3.3 , also I have used Tiny Umbrella but I am not really sure how it works. If anyone can help me "virginize" my iPhone that would be outstanding. Can I go to iTunes and restore? I am not worried about losing all my apps, I have Xbackup and I have backed up my phone via iTunes. I just need to unjailbreak this thing so I can take it to Apple and hopefully they can swap me a new one. If someone can help me that would be AMAZING.

Answer :

Well i guess its a bit late for this answer but anyhow; if any one is facing difficulty with their iPhone home button, I think they should try this first. If the home button is not functioning its 90 percent because of the grease and germs under it and it's not due to software or hardware problem. To fix it you have to turn the phone off first then you can use a drop or two of alcohol 90% which is used in hospitals, on the home button and then try to play with the button by pressing it for about 30 sec, Then just wipe the phone with a tissue and turn it back on after a minut or two. Try using it now, it should be good as new.

Thanks

JJB

Jan 25, 2012
So I need help. I currently have a jailbroken iPhone 4s. I want to restore it to before it was it was jailbroken but i keep reading that if you restore it the phone will not work anymore. Ive read multiple stories on this problem. Is this true?

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
So I need help. I currently have a jailbroken iPhone 4s. I want to restore it to before it was it was jailbroken but i keep reading that if you restore it the phone will not work anymore. Ive read multiple stories on this problem. Is this true?
It should work fine after a restore. You just won't have a jailbroken iPhone at that point.

JJB

Jan 25, 2012
It should work fine after a restore. You just won't have a jailbroken iPhone at that point.
But it wont not work right? I want to restore it from being jailbroken. I just want to be able to have a phone after. Aha