How to Restore Your iPhone 3G: For T-Mobile USA Users

rayato

Aug 30, 2009
I have a jailbroken iPhone 3G that I use with T-Mobile USA. I recently had problems with the iPhone and decided to Restore to Factory Settings. Little did I know, I didn't know how to restore everything to work again. So, after discovering on my own and since I didn't find any sites to especifically help T-Mobile iPhone users, I decided to publish the steps in case you get stuck. Also, sorry in advance if some of the directions aren't word-for-word specific.

NOTE: You're going to need an AT&T SIM card (any one will do) and access to Wi-Fi before continuing. Also, make sure you're operating with iPhone OS 3.0 and download redsn0w 0.8.

1: Make sure your iPhone is off. To avoid complications with iTunes, place the AT&T SIM card in now.

2:To enter Recovery Mode: Press and hold HOME and SLEEP buttons for ten seconds, then continue to hold the HOME button until iTunes recognizes the iPhone.

3: After iTunes recognizes it, click RESTORE to confirm and select YES. This step will take roughly 15-20 minutes.

4: Once your iPhone is restored, disconnect/reconnect the USB cable and your phone's information should appear. Click RESTORE FROM BACKUP. This step takes 10-15 minutes, give or take.

5: Once the iPhone has restarted, you'll need to turn the iPhone off again. Now's the time to put the T-Mobile SIM card back in the phone.

6: Run redsn0w 0.8, follow the instructions to re-jailbreak your phone (there's a billion How to Jailbreak Your iPhone articles online, just Google if you need specifics).

7: Once you're done jailbreaking your iPhone, turn on the iPhone and find the CYDIA icon and click on it.

8: You'll want to install the necesarry CYDIA upgrades before continuing. Click COMPLETE UPGRADE> CONFIRM. Once that's done, click CLOSE CYDIA.

9: Now re-open CYDIA. Go to Manage> Sources> Edit.

10: Now enter repo666.ultrasn0w.com and click ADD SOURCE and DONE.

11: Now, click on the address you just entered and press ultrasn0w. You need to install this program to get your iPhone working again with T-Mobile. Press INSTALL and CONFIRM.

12: Finally, press REBOOT DEVICE and if you did everything correctly you'll see a message stating iPhone IS ACTIVATED.

Hope this will be helpful for any T-Mobile iPhone users stuck in the same jam I was.:)

rgm1266

Feb 5, 2009
Thanks for the info. I'm thinking about switching my 3G iPhone to T-Mobile. Will I get the 3G speed for the web and apps?

Thanks

wd_stroke

Bronze
Apr 12, 2008
Thanks for the info. I'm thinking about switching my 3G iPhone to T-Mobile. Will I get the 3G speed for the web and apps?

Thanks
No, T-Mobile and AT&T 3G networks are on different frequencies.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Because of what was stated above, you have to disable 3G and use Edge when using T-Mobile.