How to revert a contact back to default SMS tone?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by iErik, Mar 21, 2014.

1. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

I set a custom SMS tone for a contact and now I can't seem to revert back to the default. When I choose the "text tone" option in the contact there's a default option toward the top but it's currently set to my ringtone and can't be changed. I can't figure out what's going on.

So currently if I change my SMS tone in settings I have to go into every contact that I set a custom tone for and change it manually. Kind of annoying and I don't ever remember this being a problem in the past. I have a feeling I'm missing something obvious here.

#1 iErik, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

You make it sound confusing. I'm not sure, exactly, what you're doing. But one thing you can do is delete the contact from your contacts. Then add it back in, and it should be set on default.

3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I don't use the default ring tone for my phone. But many of my contacts are set on the default. Changing your SMS tone will not automatically change your contacts tone. Those do have to be set individually. It's always been that way as far as I remember.

4. applejailescape

Gold

Have you tried resetting the devices settings? That should put them back to the default settings.

5. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

I ended up just deleting and re-entering the effected contacts. I think the underlying problem is that all of the extra SMS and alert tones I have show up under the "ringtone" section in the sound menu and not under the "alert tone" section.