how to sent message to non iPhone user (use to own an iPhone)

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Ivan See, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Ivan See

Ivan See New Member

Hi,
    I'm trying to sent a reply to a friend (who use to own an iPhone) but the imessage keep popping up and I was not able to reply or sent him any message at all. I nid to go to setting and uncheck imessage to be able to sent to him. Is there any permanent solution to his problem so that I nid not switch to setting everytime I want to sent a msg to someone who has switch from iPhone to some other Android phone. Thanks

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

This issue should not be occurring at all. Have you tried to start a new text conversation with them?

I just found this online. It should help you. I will continue to read it to see if it provides the answer for your friend.

"Over the last few weeks, dozens of posters on that thread and others have complained of the same issue, and so far, Apple hasn't offered a simple fix. However, one user, "Alphonsusjude," claims to have a workaround, which involves accessing a user's Apple profile and unregistering the iPhone they were previously using."

http://m.cnet.com/news/imessage-bug-swats-iphone-owners-who-switch-to-android/57353017

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Actually, this is one of the most often asked questions we see. ;)

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Of course the title, but I've never heard of the issue they were having. Then as you see I found it posted online and all. Interesting for sure. I don't know what phones I send texts to that aren't iPhones, but I haven't had any issues like this.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I was just about to post the same reply that Naps did. We get threads here ALL the time asking the same question. It's an extremely common and ongoing problem that Apple needs to fix. It's preventable, though. Most people just don't think to do it. You have to disable iMessages on the iPhone BEFORE you restore and sell it. People get mixed results trying to fix it after the fact.

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I see. That can be annoying for sure but hey questions are good for the forum. It's awesome to help others. :)

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I added a little bit to my last post.

Yes, questions are good. Telling someone something shouldn't be happening when it's in fact very common isn't. ;)

#7 Europa, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  8. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I read your response. Interesting. But hopefully Apple can fix it for sure. Although I'm sure there are still issues from the past. Some people still I'm sure have older iPhones.

9. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

This problem occurs on the newest iPhones as well. It's not a hardware issue.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The age of the hardware is irrelevant. As long as iMessages works on it, it can be affected by this.

11. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Eek! This just proves technology even though we think it's amazing, it can have its flaws. :p

12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Sorry. I keep stepping on you. I'll back out before I crush your pretty little head,

13. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

What all needs to be done to an iPhone before restoring it to factory setting in order to resell it? I'm sure there are more then just this issue and turning off iCloud.

14. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Press and hold the send button. It will then give the option to send as a regular text message.
    Another thing that can work is to delete the msg conversation, do a hard reboot of your iPhone and start a new text conversation.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

This is all you have to to to prevent it from happening:
    1. Settings > Messages > iMessages > Off

2. Send a message to yourself and make sure it goes through as an SMS, not an iMessage

2. Restore to factory settings

16. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Thanks Europa, I'll add it to the list.