How to set my own ringtone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wll6568, Nov 5, 2007.

1. wll6568

wll6568 New Member

I would like to know how I could make an mp3 song (synch from itune) to become my ringtone and also alarm ringtone? My unlocked version is 1.1.1.
  2. Khris

Khris New Member

The first and most important step that you absolutely must follow.....

USE THE SEARCH BUTTON! :)
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. Lincoln

Lincoln New Member

This question is too simple to answer. Search the forums, or search on Apple's site, it's clearly posted on both.

http://apple.com
  5. ComputerLove

ComputerLove New Member

Here's the help you need.

Don't you hate it when people say: 'It's so simple, I can't be ar$£d answering!' Yeah, it's soooo easy ONCE YOU KNOW HOW! So here's how...

Make sure you have switched on 'Ringtones' in your iTunes general preferences and then proceed as follows...

1. First get the song you want to make the ringtone from.
    2. Open it with quicktime pro (or any other editor)
    3. Cust out the section you want as the ringtone and save it as a new mp3.
    4. Import it into iTunes
    5. in iTunes go into
    Preferences > Advanced > Importing

Set to Import using: AAC encoder 128Kbps

And/OR:

6. Right click on the file you want as a ringtone and select:
    Convert selection to AAC

Your file will now be converted to an AAC file. (appears in iTunes under your original file) - call it a different name, so as not to confuse, ie: instead of Song.xxx, call it Song1.xxx

7. Right click on the new file, click on show in finder (or open folder on windows)
    8. You will now see your AAC file, all you have to do now is change the file extension from .m4a to .m4r
    9. Drag the file out of the folder to the desktop, then drop it back into itunes. (Hover over your 'Ringtones' in the left menu list of iTunes, or it will just go into your main library)!

Sync with your iPhone. Done.

Why can't people just help people! ;-)
  6. iNinja

iNinja Zealot

You miss the point of the post. Its not annoying that people are asking for help, Its also not annoying that they are asking simple questions, as like you pointed out, its easy when you know how.

Whats annoying is that people create an account and post a question on a forum without having searched to see if this question was asked before! They want a taylored answer just for them instead of reading up on it.... Its just lazy. After typing in "how to put ringtones on iPhone" brings up 3 youtube guides and 797,000 pages that answer the question! lol
  7. ComputerLove

ComputerLove New Member

Mmmmm

You miss the point. This is a forum.., on the internet.., where people have searched.., and then ask for help...... on a forum.;)
  8. LeeAnn4

LeeAnn4 New Member

Thanks!

Thanks ComputerLove! I recently just got an iphone and have searched over all sorts of boards for some answers to questions (and found this place as a result) - instructions aren't always as easy to find or follow as they should be. I actually had this same question, so I appreciate your willingness to help out.
  9. iNinja

iNinja Zealot

Im sorry but I disagree. I think that on a forum - people should search to see if the question has been asked before. Buy hey, ive done it in the past and posted a topic without checking, so Im not going to jump on the guys back. You must admit it is quite annoying though ;)
  10. ComputerLove

ComputerLove New Member

Thanks back!

No worries LeeAnn4 - if you still get problems after that... unSync your Ringtones from your iPhone, via iTunes. Then go to 'Deauthorize' (still in iTunes), type in your password... then immediately go back to 'Authorise', type in your password again, then go back to Sync Ringtones... hey presto, iPhone recognises it as a bonafide ringtone! Woohoo. Happy Days. It's grim up north... but I love it! :cool:
  11. Watcher

Watcher Zealot

So... how do you create ringtones again?

KIDDING!!! :cool:
  12. ComputerLove

ComputerLove New Member

Zapp & Roger would be happy

...can you feel that..? That's love and respect in the room right there! That's computer love that is!;)
  13. AdrianCubed

AdrianCubed Zealot

I for one didnt know you could use quicktime to make a ringtone.

I always do it through garageband, send to itunes then sync.
  14. ComputerLove

ComputerLove New Member

Me too, either that or Reason, FruityLoops, LogicPro, Cubase, etc, etc... That (QuickTime) was actually someone's advice to me, but I personally wouldn't use QuickTime to Truncate a song into a ringtone, but I reckon most people have that on their Macs...
  15. AdrianCubed

AdrianCubed Zealot

Yeah its comes with it but even still. I'd use garageband first choice. With garage band i can fade it in, fade it out, cut precisely the 40seconds i want. etc.

Its just so easy to use.
  16. ComputerLove

ComputerLove New Member

That's why at point No.2 I say: "or ANY editor", as, unlike you or I, they might not have a Mac and, therefore, if they have a PC, it's likely they will not Have GarageBand. I think the word 'any' usually covers it. My thread is how to save ringtones, not how to make them!
  17. ComputerLove

ComputerLove New Member

Oh, and I would keep your ring tone to 30 seconds or you might find iPhone might struggle at 40, at standard settings, but I have a trick for that too... Overall, it shows our individuality that we can't stand the default ringtones lol!
  18. Dillon16

Dillon16 Guest

help needed here!

Hello guys!
    I'm new here and my name is Dillon, need your help guys!
    How can I create ringtone?

Thanks in advance!
  19. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

You are joking... right?

If your being serious then i suggest you read the very beginning of this post.

Also.. FFS search first.
  20. iNinja

iNinja Zealot

haha i was going to post something similar, but after his "hi my name is.." intro, i decided to be nice! haha
  21. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

lol.

After i read the thread, I noticed Dillon16 posted a totally ridiculous question. The eniterty of this thread it about two things. Primarily using the SEARCH function within EIC and secondly how to make ringtones. I couldn't even believe he posted... "hey, how do i make ringtonnnnnnnezzz yo?'

Honestly.......