How to set up ICS?

pierce the veil

Bronze
Aug 14, 2007
hello, i want to setup my wifi usb stick to share my pc's broadband connection with my iPhone and wii. how do i do this? can i do it even though my pc is connected to the internet through a router?

also when i go to network connections, right click on Local Area Connection, properties, advanced, allow other network users to connect through this computers internet connection, select my wifi stick, hit ok, it freezes. anyone know why?

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
hello, i want to setup my wifi usb stick to share my pc's broadband connection with my iPhone and wii. how do i do this? can i do it even though my pc is connected to the internet through a router?

also when i go to network connections, right click on Local Area Connection, properties, advanced, allow other network users to connect through this computers internet connection, select my wifi stick, hit ok, it freezes. anyone know why?

The USB stick is for your computer connecting to the router. You can set your iPhone up to directly connect to the router. In settings go to wifi and enter the same settings as you use on the computer to connect to the router.

pierce the veil

Bronze
Aug 14, 2007
how could i connect it directly to the router? i forgot to mention that my router is hardwired so i couldnt connect directly to it that way so im trying to use a wifi max stick

ubbi

Jan 3, 2008
Planet Earth
The USB stick is for your computer connecting to the router. You can set your iPhone up to directly connect to the router. In settings go to wifi and enter the same settings as you use on the computer to connect to the router.
If I have an iPod touch can i do the same thing and connect it directly to the router too?

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
how could i connect it directly to the router? i forgot to mention that my router is hardwired so i couldnt connect directly to it that way so im trying to use a wifi max stick

I do not follow you. Are you trying to set up your iPhone for wifi with your router?

Your iPhone will not connect to your cpu usb stick.

If you want to connect your computer to the router via hardwire local then use a LAN cable.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
If what you are trying to do is allow your iPhone to connect to your wireless USB client so that it can use your wired ethernet network/internet connection, it is certainly possible. Here's what you'd need to do:

You can use one of two methods: Bridging or Internet Connection Sharing. The main difference is that bridging makes your iPhone a full peer on the network in the same IP address space, while Internet Connection Sharing creates a privately addressed network that your iPhone will be in. For your purposes (internet connectivity) this does not matter much.

1. In the wireless properties for the USB wifi adapter, add a new wireless connection and give it a name of your choice. Check the box at the bottom that says, "This is an AD-HOC connection".

To Bridge:

2. In your network connections, ctrl-click both the wired and wireless connections, then right-click and choose "bridge connections".

To use Internet Connection Sharing:

2. In your network connections, right-click the wired network card and choose Properties, then the Advanced tab. Click on "Allow Other Computers to connect through this computer's internet connection" and select the wireless USB card in "Home networking connection" box.

Both:

4. You should see the two network cards either bridged or the wired card shared depending on which you chose.

5. Configure your iPhone to connect to the wireless network you've created, and you're done.

Note that if you bridge, you'll have to make sure that there's a DHCP server on your LAN that will give out an IP address, and DNS/gateway settings. If you choose Internet Connection Sharing, Windows handles that all for you. So for that reason, ICS might be the way to go for you.

- Joe

(Edit) And by the way, I'd remove the USB stick or disable bridging/sharing when you're not using it, since anyone else can use it as well. You could also enable WEP on that wireless connection (use the ASCII mode and the iPhone will work with it; if you need help with this, let me know). However, since WEP is easily cracked, I wouldn't leave this just connected 24/7. Of course, the range of a USB stick is pitiful, so you might not have an issue.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
If I have an iPod touch can i do the same thing and connect it directly to the router too?

I'm sure you can follow my directions above and get it to work, although I only tested with the iPhone.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
BTW, in case it wasn't obvious, you can use the above with any WiFi card - be it a plug in card, USB, or built-in.

pierce the veil

Bronze
Aug 14, 2007
hmm having a little trouble.

in the first step, where do i go to setup a new wireless connection?

and for bridging, whenever i bridge the two, the wifi doesn't work on my iPhone still, and the internet connection on my pc doesn't work either until i debridge them.

for ICS, i do the steps correctly, yet it doesn't share the connection.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
hmm having a little trouble.

in the first step, where do i go to setup a new wireless connection?
Go to Network Connections in Control Panel. Right-click on the wireless interface and choose Properties. In the Properties, choose the Wireless Networks tab. In the Preferred Networks box (bottom half), click "ADD".

and for bridging, whenever i bridge the two, the wifi doesn't work on my iPhone still, and the internet connection on my pc doesn't work either until i debridge them.
No idea on this one. When I bridge, my internet connection works just fine.

for ICS, i do the steps correctly, yet it doesn't share the connection.

OK, what *does* it do?

pierce the veil

Bronze
Aug 14, 2007
hmm ok i right click on the wireless interface and choose properties, then it goes to a window that has two tabs, general and advanced, where the advanced one is where i choose whether to connection share or not. i don't see where to click on add.

and when i enable ICS from my Local Area Connection and under home networking connection i choose my wireless, then it freezes for a minute, and then it doesn't do anything. when i go back to the properties the things are checked off, but i cant share the connection.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
hmm ok i right click on the wireless interface and choose properties, then it goes to a window that has two tabs, general and advanced, where the advanced one is where i choose whether to connection share or not. i don't see where to click on add.
What kind of wireless card is this? Manufacturer and model, please. It doesn't sound like it's being recognized as an 802.11 card.

pierce the veil

Bronze
Aug 14, 2007
its a wifi max usb stick. under network adapter it is called "(ZD1211B) 802.11 b+g USB Adapter"

Edit: Sometimes it seems like the bridging is working, but then cuts out. what could this mean? something with the ip's?

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
More likely something interfering with the wifi.

I don't suppose the laptop is near a microwave? :D

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Oh, and you might want to try a more well-known manufacturer like Linksys, DLink, etc.

I grabbed an old Linksys unit off the shelf (WUSB11) to test with and it worked like a champ.

pierce the veil

Bronze
Aug 14, 2007
hah yeah its nowhere near a microwave or anything and ill probably try a better wifi adapter, this stick has been nothing but problems.

suresh

Nov 7, 2008
nice article

If what you are trying to do is allow your iPhone to connect to your wireless USB client so that it can use your wired ethernet network/internet connection, it is certainly possible. Here's what you'd need to do:

You can use one of two methods: Bridging or Internet Connection Sharing. The main difference is that bridging makes your iPhone a full peer on the network in the same IP address space, while Internet Connection Sharing creates a privately addressed network that your iPhone will be in. For your purposes (internet connectivity) this does not matter much.

1. In the wireless properties for the USB wifi adapter, add a new wireless connection and give it a name of your choice. Check the box at the bottom that says, "This is an AD-HOC connection".

To Bridge:

2. In your network connections, ctrl-click both the wired and wireless connections, then right-click and choose "bridge connections".

To use Internet Connection Sharing:

2. In your network connections, right-click the wired network card and choose Properties, then the Advanced tab. Click on "Allow Other Computers to connect through this computer's internet connection" and select the wireless USB card in "Home networking connection" box.

Both:

4. You should see the two network cards either bridged or the wired card shared depending on which you chose.

5. Configure your iPhone to connect to the wireless network you've created, and you're done.

Note that if you bridge, you'll have to make sure that there's a DHCP server on your LAN that will give out an IP address, and DNS/gateway settings. If you choose Internet Connection Sharing, Windows handles that all for you. So for that reason, ICS might be the way to go for you.

- Joe

(Edit) And by the way, I'd remove the USB stick or disable bridging/sharing when you're not using it, since anyone else can use it as well. You could also enable WEP on that wireless connection (use the ASCII mode and the iPhone will work with it; if you need help with this, let me know). However, since WEP is easily cracked, I wouldn't leave this just connected 24/7. Of course, the range of a USB stick is pitiful, so you might not have an issue.

Hi Joe,

It was indeed a well written article. I have configured as you have described but still i'm not able to connect my ipod touch with my desktop pc with linksys usb adaptor.

Here are the details:-

Internet connection details.

Running with beetel Broadband connection (cable modem). which has a ip of 192.168.1.1 (which is same for DNS, DHCP and default gateway).

I have configured ICS as you instructed with WEP.

when I on my wi-fi connection in ipod touch it was able to detect my connection but still i'm not able to connect to internet.

When I check the ip details on the ipod touch, it was assigned with any IP. Not sure why.

When I manually configure static ip for ipod touch with

ip: 192.168.1.5
DNS : 192.168.1.1
DHCP: 192.168.1.1
D G/W : 192.168.1.1

still i'm not able to access internet nor i'm not able to ping from my windows pc.

Not sure what's wrong. Could you please brief me whether i'm doing something wrong? Do i need to enable DHCP and DNS service (configure) on windows desktop ? If so how?

While adding wi-fi connection in the wireless network properties, do i need to choose any special authentication method?

Does the wi-fi adaptor has its own IP range and other machanisam (DNS, DHCP, DGW ...) thus preventing it from getting the ip assigned ?

Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
I have configured ICS as you instructed with WEP.

Try it without first, then turn it on if all works.

when I on my wi-fi connection in ipod touch it was able to detect my connection but still i'm not able to connect to internet.

When I check the ip details on the ipod touch, it was assigned with any IP. Not sure why.
Did you mean to say, "without any ip"?

While adding wi-fi connection in the wireless network properties, do i need to choose any special authentication method?
Try "Open".

Does the wi-fi adaptor has its own IP range and other machanisam (DNS, DHCP, DGW ...) thus preventing it from getting the ip assigned ?
Shouldn't conflict. What IP range is in use on your network? (I.E. what IP is assigned to the laptop's wired interface?)