How to shut off Edge while using wi-fi

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
Is it possible to shut off Edge?

I was in a Wi-fi hotspot today. Complete signal, all bars lit and I kept going from wi-fi to E to wi-fi to E and got NOTHING accomplished.
I know you can shut off wi-fi, can you shut off that lousy Edge?

Thanks
Dana

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
It shouldn't be hopping back and forth. The only reason that the WiFi should get interrupted, is if you are receiving text or calls during that time. Did you have any new text or voicemail at any point during trying to get connected?

Doby45

Silver
Aug 21, 2007
Powder Springs, GA
I agree with leech, this is not an issue with your phone, but an issue with the HotSpot. If it loses the wifi signall it will bounce back to Edge. Not the other way around..

smokepsp32

Bronze
Dec 2, 2007
I installed NetServices via installer and it works fine, i can turn off the edge...
the only thing is, it still appears beside the carrier logo...

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
I'm not sure how NetServices works, but if it's like iToggle, it doesn't really turn off the Edge. What it does instead is put an invalid IP address on the Edge interface which will cause your phone not to us the Edge connection. It doesn't really turn it off, just causes the phone not to use it.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I agree that this is most likely a WiFi issue (one of my routers used to do exactly that).

That said if you really want to kill EDGE you can pop the SIM card out (don't need to remove it all of the way, just a nudge so it loses contact).

Unfortunately if you do disable EDGE it will probably just drop the WiFi connection entirely, instead of switching to EDGE (i.e., you still won't be able to get anything done).

So in the end it might be better to switch off WiFi and let EDGE do its thing. At least you'll be able to actually hold the connection.

--
Mike

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
sounds like your place you were at was having some wifi issues being that ive never had that happen to me and E would only come on if wifi went down or something