How to SMS/MMS a mailto link with subject auto-filled?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

JimD

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
New Market, MD. USA
Hi guys. I can't seem to find the specific information I seek on the web, and also can't seem to find the result searching this forum. I'm not even sure I've posted this in the wrong sub-forum here but here goes:

I am trying to send a simple MMS or SMS message to the iPhone, which contains a "mailto" link with the subject pre-filled. The links do appear in the message on the iPhone, but when I click the link the iPhone mail is opened but the subject is blank.

Can anyone cite an example of a properly formatted SMS or MMS message containing a mailto link which will fill in the subject line on the iPhone when the link is clicked?

iphoneint

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Are you formatting it like this?

mailto:myemail@yahoo.com?subject=putinfohere&body=someurlencodedtext

instead of using the & prior to subject as I believe the iPhone will not translate it that way.

JimD

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
New Market, MD. USA
I am not specifying a body.

<edit> I just realized that anything beyond the "mailto:" seems to be ignored. I had not previously noticed this. The "to:" is no longer filled in if I attempt to specify a subject.

Therefore, none of these forms are working:

<a href="mailto:server@ourdomain.com?subject=Remove%20call%20for%20site%3A%20abc123">Remove Call</a>
mailto:server@ourdomain.com?subject=Remove%20call%20for%20site%3A%20abc123

Only this form works:

mailto:server@ourdomain.com

The objective is to MMS a message to the phone which contains a mailto link. The link contains the server's email address and a preconfigured subject line. I want to be able to click the link and hit send, and the result is that an email containing the predefined subject line is sent to the server's email address.

Using only the mailto:xxx works, except I will have to fill in the subject line. This is error prone and can't be done quickly. Maybe the IOS mailto support is busted?

iphoneint

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I see what you mean, yeah mailto overall is not working for me in the messaging app when received as an SMS. It does work in Safari if I copy the SMS message and paste it into the address bar. So it seems like message is no longer opening the browser to execute the mailto command it appears to be trying to execute it from within the app and it does not handle it, it seems to just be trying to parse it out as it was an email address. As it works if you just send the email address as an SMS it will use that as the to: line. But of course no subject would be filled.

I am trying to see if there is a way to force the messaging app to open the browser and then use the mailto line as the address.