How to stop American layout when dialing and texting?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Sep 21, 2007
Scotland
Hi everyone

I am looking for some help I want to get my unlocked iPhone to stop dialing numbers in the American way. I live in the UK and it would make life easier. I cannot text some numbers either because the iPhone automatically puts a dash in.

Is there anyway to modify or stop this?

Thanks, Greg

bard108

Bronze
Sep 19, 2007
any joy resolving this issue. thinking about importing one... but if i cant send messages it might be a bit pointless.

Sep 21, 2007
Scotland
Hi

I'm on Vodafone in Scotland. I can call and text to normal numbers but I wanted to text a competition number and the phone keeps putting a stupid dash in the number it goes like eg 11-850 and it wont send properly with the dash.

Its a minor problem though at least I can call and text normally. It might save me money for not entering competitions.

bard108

Bronze
Sep 19, 2007
Hi

I'm on Vodafone in Scotland. I can call and text to normal numbers but I wanted to text a competition number and the phone keeps putting a stupid dash in the number it goes like eg 11-850 and it wont send properly with the dash.

Its a minor problem though at least I can call and text normally. It might save me money for not entering competitions.
Oh right. so it's only the short codes... what about if you have those numbers on your phonebook already? will it still change the format?

Sep 21, 2007
Scotland
Oh right. so it's only the short codes... what about if you have those numbers on your phonebook already? will it still change the format?
Still doesn't work unfortunately. I've been reading this but don't know if it works.

http://iPhone.unlock.no/

Changing phone number formating: (123) 456-7890

Formatting is stored in:
/System/Library/Frameworks/AddressBookUI.framework/ABPhoneFormats.plist Download this file from your phone. The file is stored in binary format, so you'll need to convert it to text. Now save this file and open it in a text editor. Change the formatting under us to look like you want (if you find your region in the file, just copy from your region to the us). There's probably some way to just make it use your langauge (instead of 'us'), but i don't know where you specify that. When you are done changing formatting, save the file and upload it to the iPhone in same directory you found it. You don't need to convert i back to binary.

bard108

Bronze
Sep 19, 2007
that doesn't look too scary. let us know if you manage to do it. I work(ed) for a company called the texperts (or 82ask) and their number is 66000 so i'll need to be able to use the short number codes.

off topic: How is it on vodafone? what's your data usage like?

Sep 21, 2007
Scotland
that doesn't look too scary. let us know if you manage to do it. I work(ed) for a company called the texperts (or 82ask) and their number is 66000 so i'll need to be able to use the short number codes.

off topic: How is it on vodafone? what's your data usage like?
Hi I know it doesn't look too bad don't understand how to edit the text. I'm just glad I managed to unlock the phone to make calls and text. It's fine on Vodafone the call quality is excellent. However Vodafone does not have edge. Orange is the only network that does so may have to move to them. I can do everything you tube etc over a wireless network but not edge utill I go to another network.

bard108

Bronze
Sep 19, 2007
just got another question... there have been reports of people having problems with numbers stored with +44xxxxxxxxxx ... when they get a call the caller ID doesn't come up just 07xxxxxxxxx You been experiencing this issue?

josepsv

Sep 27, 2007
I´have tried that and it works, I´m from El Salvador and had the same issue...

Still doesn't work unfortunately. I've been reading this but don't know if it works.

http://iPhone.unlock.no/

Changing phone number formating: (123) 456-7890

Formatting is stored in:
/System/Library/Frameworks/AddressBookUI.framework/ABPhoneFormats.plist Download this file from your phone. The file is stored in binary format, so you'll need to convert it to text. Now save this file and open it in a text editor. Change the formatting under us to look like you want (if you find your region in the file, just copy from your region to the us). There's probably some way to just make it use your langauge (instead of 'us'), but i don't know where you specify that. When you are done changing formatting, save the file and upload it to the iPhone in same directory you found it. You don't need to convert i back to binary.