How to stop sending a text?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Revin9k, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Revin9k

Revin9k New Member
    Bronze

has anyone figured this out yet?

i type in my text...i hit send..then i realize some words got switched due to the auto correction by iPhone...so i go to stop the text and cant do it...its been buggin me =\

2. wjp09

wjp09 Zealot
    Gold

i don't think you can sorry. Maybe power down if you can quick enough?

3. ebrunn

ebrunn Member
    Silver

Read twice, send once;)

4. chunter001

chunter001 New Member
    Bronze

I don't think I have ever had a phone that you could stop a sent text on. Why would this one be any different?

5. J-Sauce

J-Sauce New Member
    Bronze

Stick the phone in a lead box quickly so it cant get reception.

Or pop out the sim card....

6. Revin9k

Revin9k New Member
    Bronze

you can stop sending texts on all phones because they have an end button. you don't have that option with an iPhone.

plus...sometimes when you have a lot of texts goin on...its easy to send a text to the wrong person. i have to double check twice.

7. TrippalHealicks

TrippalHealicks New Member
    Gold

haha I had to force myself into this one.
    I've made this mistake several times, as well.
    As i'm watching the little send status bar roll across the screen, i'm like "NOOoooOoOO, hold up!" hahaah

8. ps49556n

ps49556n New Member
    Silver

Every single phone I have ever owned had the ability to cancel a text message....I too find this feature to be needed with ihphone as another poster said, I find myself often sending messages with a misspelled word that I catch when its sending

9. askewed

askewed New Member
    Bronze

Do you have an iPhone?

10. ps49556n

ps49556n New Member
    Silver

yes i do, why are you asking this?

11. askewed

askewed New Member
    Bronze

I was being sarcastic... You said, "Every single phone I have ever owned had the ability to cancel a text message". If you have an iPhone then that isn't true. See when you explain it the humor dissipates.

12. fitz62

fitz62 New Member
    Bronze

that's what i say..never gonna have time to power down.

13. wjp09

wjp09 Zealot
    Gold

Yeah typos can kill a mood reeeaaal fast haha.

14. IceTrAiN

IceTrAiN New Member
    Bronze

I feel your pain. I was attempting to answer a question for another thread (the one about removing the keyboard to view the sms convo in full screen) and I while I was fiddling around with the interface, I accidentally sent my girlfriend a text of about 13 lines of white space... Now why the hell would the phone let you send a blank text?! Now I just wasted one of my 200 texts! :p

15. Hkloester

Hkloester New Member

For sure you can cancel a text when it's in the middle of sending on other mobile phones. Certainly Nokia you can. I had an old Nokia 6230 for 3 years prior to going iPhone and you simply hit cancel and it puts it straight in to the drafts or outbox folder, i can't remember which now. often i would hit a wrong button when typing a long text and it you would also not loose that text either - it was saved to the drafts folder as well. These are things the iPhone doesn't do as well as the 5yr old Nokia. It's not perfect, and there is a long way to go with it for sure - but i still LOVE using it over the old Nokia even without all those good features the Nokia had.

16. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Wow. You answered a 3 year old question! Well, 2 years 10 mos.

17. Hkloester

Hkloester New Member

lol. yes, im new to this and found the thread and realised later many had answered it already. 3 years on and Apple still have not supplied a 'cancel' button so we can cancel an sms while it's in the middle of sending. hopefully with the new OS4 coming up soon.

18. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I saw an iPhone app once that let you set up a delay for sending texts. I wish I could think of its name and whether it was available on the App Store or Cydia.

19. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

One suggestion - If you have SBSettings installed, you could quickly (and I mean quickly) launch it and hit Airplane Mode.

Might work.

20. Hkloester

Hkloester New Member

thanks warrior - seems that can actually work! - it doesn't work if it's a small text and just shoots through -BUT - for longer messages and certainly anything with a photo etc., i tried it and i did have time to go to settings and hit the airplane mode - and guess what - it worked!. back to messages and it comes up "this message can not be sent in airplane mode" - so that's the best tip so far for sure and if really quick, and its an emergency seems it can get you out of hot water! thanks bud