How to stop sending a text?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Revin9k

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
has anyone figured this out yet?

i type in my text...i hit send..then i realize some words got switched due to the auto correction by iPhone...so i go to stop the text and cant do it...its been buggin me =\

Revin9k

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
you can stop sending texts on all phones because they have an end button. you don't have that option with an iPhone.

plus...sometimes when you have a lot of texts goin on...its easy to send a text to the wrong person. i have to double check twice.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
I don't think I have ever had a phone that you could stop a sent text on. Why would this one be any different?

Every single phone I have ever owned had the ability to cancel a text message....I too find this feature to be needed with ihphone as another poster said, I find myself often sending messages with a misspelled word that I catch when its sending

IceTrAiN

Bronze
I feel your pain. I was attempting to answer a question for another thread (the one about removing the keyboard to view the sms convo in full screen) and I while I was fiddling around with the interface, I accidentally sent my girlfriend a text of about 13 lines of white space... Now why the hell would the phone let you send a blank text?! Now I just wasted one of my 200 texts! :p

Hkloester

May 26, 2010
For sure you can cancel a text when it's in the middle of sending on other mobile phones. Certainly Nokia you can. I had an old Nokia 6230 for 3 years prior to going iPhone and you simply hit cancel and it puts it straight in to the drafts or outbox folder, i can't remember which now. often i would hit a wrong button when typing a long text and it you would also not loose that text either - it was saved to the drafts folder as well. These are things the iPhone doesn't do as well as the 5yr old Nokia. It's not perfect, and there is a long way to go with it for sure - but i still LOVE using it over the old Nokia even without all those good features the Nokia had.

I don't think I have ever had a phone that you could stop a sent text on. Why would this one be any different?

Hkloester

May 26, 2010
lol. yes, im new to this and found the thread and realised later many had answered it already. 3 years on and Apple still have not supplied a 'cancel' button so we can cancel an sms while it's in the middle of sending. hopefully with the new OS4 coming up soon.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
One suggestion - If you have SBSettings installed, you could quickly (and I mean quickly) launch it and hit Airplane Mode.

Might work.

Hkloester

May 26, 2010
thanks warrior - seems that can actually work! - it doesn't work if it's a small text and just shoots through -BUT - for longer messages and certainly anything with a photo etc., i tried it and i did have time to go to settings and hit the airplane mode - and guess what - it worked!. back to messages and it comes up "this message can not be sent in airplane mode" - so that's the best tip so far for sure and if really quick, and its an emergency seems it can get you out of hot water! thanks bud