How To Stop Software Update Notifications From iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by 54555455, Feb 22, 2013.

1. 54555455

54555455 New Member

I purchased an unlocked iPhone 3GS Version 6.0.1. I continuously get iTunes software update notifications. Can I use evasion to jail break the phone to stop this annoyance or will I harm the phone. I am a newbie so please put your responses in layman's terms. Thanks.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes, you can jailbreak it with evasi0n.

Jailbreaking disables OTA updates and you won't see the update badge on the Settings app.

Check this box in iTunes and click cancel.
    image.jpg

3. 54555455

54555455 New Member

So are you saying that after I jail break the phone go to: Settings/General/Software Update on my phone and I will see this icon to check this box because evasion will create this option automatically?

4. fijiman

fijiman Contributor
    Silver

The updates are there for a reason... it may offer app stability, offer new features, etc,etc.
    It's a false economy to deny App updates....

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

It's only to protect jailbreakers from inadvertently updating their iPhones and losing their jailbreaks. These aren't app updates, anyway; they're firmware updates.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No. The image I posted is from iTunes on a computer. You'll need to do what I said in my previous post if you don't want to be repeatedly asked to update from iTunes on your computer. You will not be asked to update on your phone because jailbreaking disables OTA (over the air) firmware updates which are done on the phone itself rather than in iTunes.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

While I tend to agree with this, I rank my jailbreak as more important than an update that has no untethered jailbreak. 6.1.2 doesn't break the jailbreak, so there is no reason not to update if you want the update feature, but it would be a different story if it did break the jailbreak. Didn't you stay on 5.x for more than four months because there was no untethered jailbreak for 6.x at the time?

8. 54555455

54555455 New Member

Thanks Europa. Did you see my other post on now that I did the jailbreak I just discovered whenever someone calls me I can barely hear them yet they can hear me fine. Any solutions?

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

First try a hard reset. If that doesn't work, boot into safe mode to check if it still happens. If it goes away while you're in safe mode, it could be one of your jailbreak tweaks/apps that's causing it.