How to take an iPhone to a school where phones are banned?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jan 10, 2007
I have been reading that some high schools in the usa have banned cell phones and some have metal detectors when students enter the school. So will the iPhone set off a metal detector? If so, if you put the iPhone inside a box will the metal detector still go off?

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
Why take a chance on losing your iPhone at a school that might confiscate it (or someone steal it)?

Leave it at home.
Great answer! Why take the chance unnecessarily? And it seems like these days, they're not looking to confiscate the lil cheapie phones- but the most expensive ones- and then hold on to them until the end of the year.

I've quite a few friends, that upon learning their kids phone was taken, showed up at the school before the teacher had a chance to stash it, and retrieved it.

Personally, I think it BS that a child cant have their phones in school. I live in Killadelphia where the murder rate in the middle of Dec. was 369!

Instead of worrying if children are carrying phones, concentrated efforts should be placed on all the guns that get it.

Medeiros2227

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
dunno
seiously you just asked if a METAL phone will be detected by a METAL detector ... Hmm seems silly , the onpy way they wont find it is if you put it in a lead box . And you shouldnt leave it at home , you bought it to use it .

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Sneaking a phone into school when it is not allowed does not seem like a good idea. If you think the rules are unfair, then make an intelligent decision to try to change them. Write the school board, get signatures, get your parents involved etc.

I have no idea why you cannot have a phone in school (my kids can if I sign a waiver and they keep them off during school hours). It seems like a good rule to try to get changed. You can make a difference if you go do it the right way.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
a lot of schools disallow cell phones to prevent drug dealing... and a more practical reason because they're a distraction... texting or watching videos while in class isn't very helpful in an educational environment.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
seiously you just asked if a METAL phone will be detected by a METAL detector ... Hmm seems silly , the onpy way they wont find it is if you put it in a lead box . And you shouldnt leave it at home , you bought it to use it .

He said a metal detector, not an x-ray machine. The metal detector would see both the phone and the box. :)

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007

I went through the metal detectors at Staples Center (where the Lakers play) and had my iPhone in my pocket and the detector did not go off. I attribute it to the following:
Maybe the metal detector at Staples Center was not set to mega-sensitive, or maybe the iPhone has more aluminum in it, which from my experience is not as sensitive to the machines as steel, etc.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
In my experience, usually by the time a decision has been made to "ban" it's due to outright abuse and almost the only way for teachers/principle/administrators to gain any control.

iMack

Nov 13, 2007
The chance of cheating on exams is the reason schools are banning text messaging. We collect them on testing days and then return them after the tests.
hahah my teacher tried pulling this on us last year,i never gave her my cellphone, i just said i do not have one,and then pull mine out right when class was over while walking out the door so she could see :laugh2: and i did it everytime hahaa, i don't think teachers have the right to frisk us for cellphones so i shall keep doing this until that happens :)

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
i don't think teachers have the right to frisk us for cellphones so i shall keep doing this until that happens :)

Far be it from me to condone doing something that's against policy, but as a parent, I can assure you that the day a teacher frisks one of my kids will be the last day that teacher teaches.

Dec 23, 2007
Chicago
www.novembersdoom.com
Far be it from me to condone doing something that's against policy, but as a parent, I can assure you that the day a teacher frisks one of my kids will be the last day that teacher teaches.
Sadly, these days the school board would certainly take the side of the teacher. You're best option would be to enroll your child in a private school. Public schools can get away with a lot due to the way kids are these days. I agree with you though, if my daughter was frisked, I would raise hell, and do all I could for the board to take action.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Sadly, these days the school board would certainly take the side of the teacher. You're best option would be to enroll your child in a private school. Public schools can get away with a lot due to the way kids are these days. I agree with you though, if my daughter was frisked, I would raise hell, and do all I could for the board to take action.

I wouldn't lie down that easy. That school board would be on the dark side of a massive election campaign revolving around teachers taking liberties with students in what should be a parental matter. And let's not forget the litigation and, depending on the circumstances, the criminal complaint.

I don't care about the other kids and how their parents (do not) raise them. The teacher doesn't get to lump my kid in with them until I've been given a chance to deal with the behavior issue and have failed to correct it.

Sorry for the rant, but parental responsibility is a hot-button issue with me. Now back to your regularly scheduled iPhone discussion already in progress.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
There is a fair amount of metal in an iPhone.

I think most detectors are set to find the density of metal found in a knife or a gun. Half of the iPhone is glass, plastic, and circuit board silicon.

You could carry a couple dollars worth of quarter in your pocket to see just how sensitive the detector is, but I would honestly leave the phone at home. Once some envious student sees it, they may have a big mouth and the whole campus will soon know you snuck a phone in.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
My son is in the 3rd grade, and I see many other students who have them. In fact even in his 2nd grade class.

His school (1000 students) does not have metal detectors