How to tell if your iPhone 6s is eligible for a free battery replacement from Apple

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Yes, I’m an idiot! Moderator, please change “illegible” to “eligible” in that thread title. *kicks self*

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
According to that article I qualify for a replacement battery. I wonder if they will replace it while I wait, or if I'll have to leave it with them for a day or two?

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
According to that article I qualify for a replacement battery. I wonder if they will replace it while I wait, or if I'll have to leave it with them for a day or two?
Maybe even more than a day or two: I'm hearing chatter on the streets of the internet that supplies are constrained. Specifically, the third paragraph of this article: https://9to5mac.com/2016/11/28/apple-how-to-check-iphone-6s-battery-replacement-serial-number/

Further down that article, there's a sentence that's quite critical, so I'll quote it here: "Apple store staff will, however, only offer the repair to those that specifically report unexpected shutdown issues." So there's that. :)

Last edited:

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
It’s a damn shame this doesn’t include the 6s Plus. :(

My phone’s serial number contains the required two-character sequence for the battery exchange.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Update: The “small number” of customers affected by Apple’s faulty batteries in iPhone 6s units has increased by… a small number. :D

See Apple’s official statement here. Spoiler alert: It’s in Chinese. Since MacRumors provided a link to the article in Chinese, I have to assume Apple didn’t provide this latest update in English. You have two options: You can use one of the various online translation tools to get a translation, or you can start learning Chinese by following this link.

iPhone 6s: Designed in California, but battery issues reported in only Chinese.

Oh well, better an unexpected shutdown than an unexpected battery explosion (looking at you, Samsung), I guess.

</end witty comments>

Last edited:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Where was the witty comment? ;)

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Update: The “small number” of customers affected by Apple’s faulty batteries in iPhone 6 units has increased by… a small number. :D

See Apple’s official statement here. Spoiler alert: It’s in Chinese. Since MacRumors provided a link to the article in Chinese, I have to assume Apple didn’t provide this latest update in English. You have two options: You can use one of the various online translation tools to get a translation, or you can start learning Chinese by following this link.

iPhone 6: Designed in California, but battery issues reported in only Chinese.

Oh well, better an unexpected shutdown than an unexpected battery explosion (looking at you, Samsung), I guess.

</end witty comments>
I thought it was the 6s.

Ag52013

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
I contacted apple 2 weeks ago regarding this issue and I was told I was eligible for a new battery but I had to wait until at least 5th December to make an appointment... mine is qm ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I contacted apple 2 weeks ago regarding this issue and I was told I was eligible for a new battery but I had to wait until at least 5th December to make an appointment... mine is qm ???

Well, you’re four days late! What are you doing here talking to us instead of at the Apple Store demanding your appointment?

Ag52013

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Im not. I was stating that my battery is qm and I am getting a replacement. Maybe this is the case for some other people who may think they are not eligible?

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Im not. I was stating that my battery is qm and I am getting a replacement. Maybe this is the case for some other people who may think they are not eligible?

It’s looking promising for those of us who would like a brand new battery in our units. The problem now appears to be much more widespread than previously thought.

Oct 23, 2010
Jersey Shore, NJ
I was told by an Apple service rep on the phone via Apple care that my phone was eligible for this program. He told me he was going to ship me a new replacement iPhone 6s. But when I asked, he couldn't confirm whether it would actually be a NEW or REBURBISHED phone. So I told him I'd like to make an appt to have this taken care of at my Apple Store as my experience with them is that they only give out brand new iPhones. They don't use refurbished replacements; which seems like good practice to me considering the amount of money spent on the phone. But when I called the store. They told me they just do a repair and replace my "faulty" battery with a brand new one.

Does any one have experience getting the repair done?

iPhone 6s, iPad Air, MacBook Pro (Aluminum Unibody), iPod Nano, late 2008 MacBook (Aluminum Unibody)

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I was told by an Apple service rep on the phone via Apple care that my phone was eligible for this program. He told me he was going to ship me a new replacement iPhone 6s. But when I asked, he couldn't confirm whether it would actually be a NEW or REBURBISHED phone. So I told him I'd like to make an appt to have this taken care of at my Apple Store as my experience with them is that they only give out brand new iPhones. They don't use refurbished replacements; which seems like good practice to me considering the amount of money spent on the phone. But when I called the store. They told me they just do a repair and replace my "faulty" battery with a brand new one.

Does any one have experience getting the repair done?

iPhone 6s, iPad Air, MacBook Pro (Aluminum Unibody), iPod Nano, late 2008 MacBook (Aluminum Unibody)
No, but a refurbished phone is like new. They check it over, replace anything that needs it, and puts in a new battery. In some cases they're better. At the least, as good as. I'd take a refurbished today just for the new battery. LOL

Oct 23, 2010
Jersey Shore, NJ
No, but a refurbished phone is like new. They check it over, replace anything that needs it, and puts in a new battery. In some cases they're better. At the least, as good as. I'd take a refurbished today just for the new battery. LOL
Yes. I went with the express mail repair (replacement) using my apple care plus. Had some problems with the original replacement phone. So I had to send it back and then receive another replacement phone. ‍♂️

iPhone 6s, 64GB, white
iPad Air, 16GB, white
MacBook Pro, Aluminum Unibody

Mrallank59

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 8, 2013
I'm good. My 4th and 5th number doesn't match. I live only ten minutes from an Apple Store but I still don't want the hassle of bringing my phone in. I used to love going to the Apple Store but I'm an old man of 53 and I prefer a relaxed geriatric lifestyle

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk