How to tell if your iPhone 6s is eligible for a free battery replacement from Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone 6S' started by Rafagon, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Yes, I’m an idiot! Moderator, please change “illegible” to “eligible” in that thread title. *kicks self*

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

According to that article I qualify for a replacement battery. I wonder if they will replace it while I wait, or if I'll have to leave it with them for a day or two?

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Maybe even more than a day or two: I'm hearing chatter on the streets of the internet that supplies are constrained. Specifically, the third paragraph of this article: https://9to5mac.com/2016/11/28/apple-how-to-check-iphone-6s-battery-replacement-serial-number/

Further down that article, there's a sentence that's quite critical, so I'll quote it here: "Apple store staff will, however, only offer the repair to those that specifically report unexpected shutdown issues." So there's that. :)

#4 Rafagon, Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

It’s a damn shame this doesn’t include the 6s Plus. :(

My phone’s serial number contains the required two-character sequence for the battery exchange.

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Update: The “small number” of customers affected by Apple’s faulty batteries in iPhone 6s units has increased by… a small number. :D

See Apple’s official statement here. Spoiler alert: It’s in Chinese. Since MacRumors provided a link to the article in Chinese, I have to assume Apple didn’t provide this latest update in English. You have two options: You can use one of the various online translation tools to get a translation, or you can start learning Chinese by following this link.

iPhone 6s: Designed in California, but battery issues reported in only Chinese.

Oh well, better an unexpected shutdown than an unexpected battery explosion (looking at you, Samsung), I guess.

</end witty comments>

#6 Rafagon, Dec 6, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Where was the witty comment? ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I thought it was the 6s.

9. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

You're correct. I've fixed it.
    I made that too easy for you. :D

10. Ag52013

Ag52013 Member
    Bronze

I contacted apple 2 weeks ago regarding this issue and I was told I was eligible for a new battery but I had to wait until at least 5th December to make an appointment... mine is qm ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Well, you’re four days late! What are you doing here talking to us instead of at the Apple Store demanding your appointment?

12. Ag52013

Ag52013 Member
    Bronze

Im not. I was stating that my battery is qm and I am getting a replacement. Maybe this is the case for some other people who may think they are not eligible?

13. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

14. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

It’s looking promising for those of us who would like a brand new battery in our units. The problem now appears to be much more widespread than previously thought.

15. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

IMG_0432.JPG

16. RUcollegeBoy

RUcollegeBoy New Member

I was told by an Apple service rep on the phone via Apple care that my phone was eligible for this program. He told me he was going to ship me a new replacement iPhone 6s. But when I asked, he couldn't confirm whether it would actually be a NEW or REBURBISHED phone. So I told him I'd like to make an appt to have this taken care of at my Apple Store as my experience with them is that they only give out brand new iPhones. They don't use refurbished replacements; which seems like good practice to me considering the amount of money spent on the phone. But when I called the store. They told me they just do a repair and replace my "faulty" battery with a brand new one.

Does any one have experience getting the repair done?

iPhone 6s, iPad Air, MacBook Pro (Aluminum Unibody), iPod Nano, late 2008 MacBook (Aluminum Unibody)

17. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

No, but a refurbished phone is like new. They check it over, replace anything that needs it, and puts in a new battery. In some cases they're better. At the least, as good as. I'd take a refurbished today just for the new battery. LOL

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. RUcollegeBoy

RUcollegeBoy New Member

Yes. I went with the express mail repair (replacement) using my apple care plus. Had some problems with the original replacement phone. So I had to send it back and then receive another replacement phone. ‍♂️

iPhone 6s, 64GB, white
    iPad Air, 16GB, white
    MacBook Pro, Aluminum Unibody

19. Mrallank59

Mrallank59 Contributor
    Bronze

I'm good. My 4th and 5th number doesn't match. I live only ten minutes from an Apple Store but I still don't want the hassle of bringing my phone in. I used to love going to the Apple Store but I'm an old man of 53 and I prefer a relaxed geriatric lifestyle

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk