How to test to see if earpiece is working, without making calls

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

creamsoda

Oct 21, 2010
Hi everyone. I want to sell an iPhone 3g that I bought used. As far as I know it can't be unlocked (Bootloader 6.14) and it's with a different carrier than me and my friends. How can I test the earpiece function without being able to make calls. I tested the mic function with Voice Memo and it and the bottom speaker work fine.

Thanks,
Creamsoda

iPhoneuser666

Silver
Jun 13, 2010
Hi everyone. I want to sell an iPhone 3g that I bought used. As far as I know it can't be unlocked (Bootloader 6.14) and it's with a different carrier than me and my friends. How can I test the earpiece function without being able to make calls. I tested the mic function with Voice Memo and it and the bottom speaker work fine.

Thanks,
Creamsoda
Try using the iPod app to play some music through the earbuds, if that is what you mean by "ear piece." Not sure if you were referring to that or the receiver.

Sent from my iPad using iCafe

iPhoneuser666

Silver
Jun 13, 2010
I guess what I'm asking is how can i test that you can hear incoming phone calls. Thanks.
Oh okay, that would be the receiver. You will need to place a test call for that I believe, since the receiver (the long strip that looks like a long narrow speaker at the top of the phone) is designed for phone calls.

RMaddog

Dec 15, 2011
You don't need to do a test call. You can use the Voice Memos app that comes in the Utilities folder. Record a short message and then attempt to listen to it testing all 3 audio functions. You can put in on Speaker mode to test the bottom speaker of the phone, take it off Speaker mode to test the earpiece of the phone, or plug in some headphones to test the audio jack. Also, make sure you do the obvious and turn up the volume on the phone when doing this...