How to transfer all the data from one iPhone to another?

1. NickT916 Member Bronze

I have a white 3G and i have been wanting to give it to my fiance, and i have been looking for a black one for myself. She only needs a 8GB, but really wants a white one, and i want to have a different color since she wants the white, so i keep looking on craigslist for 16GB black for a good price and im just wondering how would i go about transfering all the junk from white one to my new black one? would i just back up the white one, then restore the black from that restore point?

my white one is JB-ed so to get same stuff i would have to JB the new black one as well. or would i have to do everything one thing at a time?

thanks

2. Adam1389 Member Silver

Yep, do a full backup of the white one, then when you get the black, do restore from backup, all your settings should be there, then just resync your apps. Check the mod forum for how to backup your JB apps and restore them. You'll have to jailbreak the black one when you get it. Search the mod forum for "Aptbackup" someone posted instructions on how to use it properly.

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. acosmichippo Genius Platinum

as a fair warning, i have had problems in the past with restoring from a backup created from a jailbroken iPhone... especially if you tinker fonts, icons, etc.

just make sure your contacts, bookmarks, etc are synced to your computer, and you don't have to worry about the backups. you can just sync a new iPhone, and everything will transfer to it. Worst case you will have to reconfigure your settings, and reinstall your JB apps (or use aptbackup).

5. Pimpboy51 New Member Bronze

Crap! I was gonna say let's trade my black 3g for the white one! But it's 8gb so nvmd. :)

6. hitrho5 Member Bronze

Here is what you do:

1. sync old iPhone to your computer and make sure it is on the latest firmware
    2. plug your new iPhone intot the computer. If the firmware is not updated, make sure u do so before proceding. (When i got a new iPhone, i had to update the new one before restoring)
    3. restore the NEW iPhone.
    4. When the computer ask if u want to set up as new phone or restore from backup, chose the back up file from your old phone
    5. sync your media (vids, music, podcasts, etc.)
    6. enjoy your new iPhone! :)

hoped i helped :)

7. NickT916 Member Bronze

thanks guys :) helped big

8. NickT916 Member Bronze

my fiance has tons of contacts on her blackberry, and im not sure exactly how to put all those on the phone, im not famial with blackberrys and if they back up all contacts on to the sim and then i would need some app on the phone to put them on the phone directly?

9. GADeputy Member Bronze

I'm not sure if this will help you or not but right now you can get a refurbished 16gb 3G from AT&T's website for $149.

Also, when you get your new iPhone you can take the old phone and the new one to AT&T and they will transfer all of your contacts over for you. That's what I did when my wife went from her razor phone to her new iPhone.

10. mytiyagirl23 New Member

well how do you save your contacts? I've lost mine at lease 3 times and i have 612 contacts and every time i loose them i go down at lease 50 contacts

11. acosmichippo Genius Platinum

under your "info" tab in iTunes, make sure you are syncing your contacts to your computer... either to outlook, windows mail, or whatever you have.

12. mytiyagirl23 New Member

OMG thank you so much