How to transfer iPhone settings into another computer

martigen

Jun 30, 2007
I need to transfer my iPhone settings (contacts, ringtones, files, etc) into another computer since my main one is acting up, how do i do this, is there a way to clone the settings from one pc to the other for the iPhone? i have on both pcs the exact same iTunes library, however i don't have the contacts on the one i need to update (im using outlook), how can i transfer all the info from the iPhone into the other computer? i can care less for the audio and video files, but i need to save the contacts, emails and texts.

Help anyone?!

Artlovr25

Oct 17, 2008
you can probably atherize your new comp w/ you iPhone and then trasfer but im not totally sure.

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
The contacts part is simple. When you plug the phone into the new computer and option should pop up and all you do is choose "merge contacts". That will take the contacts from the iPhone and sync them to Outlook on the new computer.

You're emails won't go anywhere, too. Even if you accidentally erased an email account they should be safe on the server of whatever email you use.

As for texts, notes, etc... If the iTunes library on the new computer is no different that the old computer, as you stated, you should just be able to plug in the the phone into the new computer and sync/backup as usual. I really don't think anything will happen to the texts. You'll probably just get a warning telling you that you are going to sync with a new computer/iTunes. I'm not 100% sure of this so use my advice at your own risk :)

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
If you have MobileMe, you can do this transfer pretty easily by registering the new computer and forcing a one-way push from the cloud to the new machine. If you don't have MM you can sign up for a free 60 day trial, and even cancel it once you're done with the OTA transfer. If you sign up for a new account, you can do the initial push from the old machine to the cloud, then do the push down from the cloud.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
If you have MobileMe, you can do this transfer pretty easily by registering the new computer and forcing a one-way push from the cloud to the new machine. If you don't have MM you can sign up for a free 60 day trial, and even cancel it once you're done with the OTA transfer. If you sign up for a new account, you can do the initial push from the old machine to the cloud, then do the push down from the cloud.
This is an awesome idea. Kudos. This wouldn't have worked several months ago, but now the Mac/PC dilemma is gone.