How to transfer mp4 file to iPhone?

1. troutyphone

troutyphone New Member

I converted a dvd to mp4 file but now iTunes wont import it and I can't move it to my iPhone? Any ideas on this last step?

2. meiphones_brill

meiphones_brill New Member Silver

I only use Mac and Linux so we will have to wait for some PC people to come along if that's what you have (- there is a thread here all about this somewhere)

I would use Quicktime(Pro) - that's $20 or so, but is really useful.
    Or MpegStreamclip which is free
    Or VLC likewise

Hope this helps

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. guest0320

guest0320 Member Silver

I am having exactly the same problem on my Dell.

I successfuly converted the file, it is sitting on my desktop and when I go to drag and drop I get nothing.

At least I am not the only one.

Dana

5. Hawk

Hawk Genius Gold

I use DVD Shrink to rip my DVD's and then Handbrake to convert them to ipod compatible MP4. Then I open iTunes, click Video, and then open the location I have for the file, and drag and drop. (Using Windows, btw)
    From some of the posts I have read on here, it seems that MP4 video, doesn't always mean COMPATIBLE video.
    My best advice is to go download handbrake(FREE!) and use it to make sure that your video file is compatible with ipod/iPhone.

6. bloodbath18

bloodbath18 New Member Bronze

Sometimes that happens even if you click "Add file to library" from "File" on the top left corner of iTunes. Try to use a different converter for the mp4's that didn't show up on iTunes. It usually works for me.

7. El Matador

El Matador New Member

OK so where can you get this Handbrake sotware at? can you give me the link?

8. guest0320

guest0320 Member Silver

9. El Matador

El Matador New Member

Thank you so much

10. iP5

iP5 Evangelist Gold

If you're JB'd the combo of iFile and PhoneDisk is sweet.

Also CMIIW but seems like VLC was like adding additional codecs.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

11. Ozzie5374

Ozzie5374 Contributor Bronze

I use Daniusoft Video Converter Ultimate - converts then loads directly to iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe

12. Tomerpeter

Tomerpeter New Member

MP4 is the right format for iPhone, but you must sure the resolution is not bigger than 720p, you can use 640*480 or 576i UP to 720p, use AAC audio codec, H.264 codec MP4 format.

13. Osman Musa

Osman Musa New Member

Apple is a bizarre company they complicate things. I had the same issue here and figured out the problem. What you have to do on iTunes is click File then Add Folder then it will import all movies in that folder that it recognizes. I tried the drag and drop the mp4 option but didn't work however this add folder worked and it imported everything.

14. hinnerway

hinnerway New Member

MP4 is the correct file. avi need to be converter to MP4 files. once converted, just put it on your regular iTunes. then, connect your iPhone. open the iphon folder on your iTunes, click the video tab, scroll down and sync the movies.
    Besides what mentioned above, i like to share you a article about How to transfer or sync video from iPhone to PC, which included transferring iPhone .mp4 video to computer.
    Hopefully this works for all of you like it just worked for me!

15. Brochet89

Brochet89 New Member

You can also download Buzz Player to iPhone and trasfer .avi or .mkv instanly without converting them.

16. maplelegend

maplelegend Member Bronze

I've done some MP4 transfer before and iTunes have no problem importing those videos.So maybe your iTunes version is not the latest?Or maybe you should just get a professional transfer program like they said above.