How to transfer my iPhone Notes

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by diana17, Jun 4, 2014.

1. diana17

diana17 New Member

Hi guys,

I have a bunch of notes in the iPhone Notes app (the one you comes in the phone pre-installed) and I want to back it up in Gmail but I seem to have hit a wall trying to do this. I synced to Icloud - then I realise after reading somewhere on Apple that this does not work. So then I synced it to Gmail on my phone settings and it does not work.
    Is there any remote possibility of me getting my Notes into Gmail at all? I want to be able to import my notes into my new phone - should I get one.

It's driving me NUTS :(

P/S: Syncing to Gmail almost worked, however only for NEW notes which I created after I've synced it. But all existing Notes in the app don't get transferred up to Gmail.

2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Does the Notes folder show in your Gmail? Here's how it works for me. With Notes toggled on in Settings for the gmail account, it shows in the Notes app. But the Notes folder in the gmail does not show. So go to Settings and toggle off Notes for that gmail. Then go to mail, and the Notes folder will be there with the notes from the notes app. But to add the gmail account back in the Notes app, you have to toggle it back on in Settings. You will then not see the folder in the gmail, but the note will still be in it. It's kind of strange. I created a 2nd notes folder. Then I drop notes into it from the real notes folder. If this has confused you, let me know and I'll do screenshots to show how it works.

3. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Syncing Notes in iCloud will back them up in your iCloud account and sync them across Apple devices. It works great. Go to your iCloud settings and toggle Notes on. Then be sure to go to each of your other email accounts under Mail, Contacts and Calandars and toggle Notes off.

5. diana17

diana17 New Member

tried this. this does not work for my existing notes (stuff i have from way back in 2012). only for the notes i create AFTER i sync it will appear in iCloud. get what i mean?

6. diana17

diana17 New Member

thanks but I have more than a hundred over notes and i don't have time to go to each one and email them. is there a faster way?

7. diana17

diana17 New Member

yes i do see a Notes folder in my Gmail - which is empty! :( All my old notes doesn't seem to be going in there..pffft..EXCEPT the ones I create right this moment..
    can you show me with screenshots step by step?
    Fyi, I have already toggled on sync notes to Gmail, sync notes to iCloud.. everything looks like it should sync but its not transferring the data to the destination! hahaha!

8. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

1. You have notes in your Notes app for 2 email accounts. (I think)
    Go to settings>mail,contacts, calendars.>mail account>Turn off Notes.
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1401939604.863249.jpg

2. Go to mail and check your Notes folder. The notes you had in the Notes app should be there.
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1401939715.246031.jpg

3. You can go back to settings and turn Notes back on if you want to keep saving them in the notes app. The notes Folder in mail will not be seen, but the notes are there.
    Once you sync the notes you have now to the Notes Folder in mail, you may want to do it as Europa says from now on. She can explain it for you.
    Remember, Notes toggled on in settings=no notes folder in mail but the mail shows in Notes app.
    Notes toggled off in settings= Notes folder visible but no mail in Notes app.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Stick with just using iCloud for Notes. They are conflicting. If you follow the directions I posted earlier, it will push all of your Notes to all of your devices from now on. Here are the directions again:
    1. Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Gmail > Notes > Off
    2. Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > iCloud > Notes > On
    3. Reboot the devices. You only have to do this once.

10. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

This guide provides all of the information on syncing notes with Gmail and managing multiple accounts. Trouble here is that you have existing notes, so these will not sync. They sync with their respective email accounts. The default being iCloud.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

So why use Gmail if it can't do what the OP needs it to do? iCloud can handle this fine. That's why I suggested toggling Gmail notes off and iCloud notes on.

12. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

The existing notes will sync if the OP toggles Notes off in Settings for the gmail account. It puts the notes in the Notes folder. But when Notes is toggled back on, the Notes folder can't be seen. I'm with Europa. Once the existing notes are synced, then let iCloud do it. I'm not sure I like it that way for me though. I had it like that and every note I put in the Notes app was synced to my inbox. I don't want that.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I sync notes through iCloud and I don't have any notes synced to my email inbox. They are just in the Notes app, which is what I want. They are instantly pushed to my Mac and iPad as well and they are backed up in my iCloud account.

14. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

That's also what I do and notes have survived transferring to a few new phones as well.

15. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I thought there was a preference to using Gmail, other than backing up to it. Agree that iCloud is probably best option - the web version alone is so much better than Gmail, Yahoo which seem to tolerate notes.

16. Mathew Connelly

Bronze

Syncing notes to iCloud is the better option than syncing to Gmail why - because Gmail (IMHO) is not made for taking care of iPhone notes - iCloud is. However, it is true that you cannot sync notes (i.e. one and the same notes) with both iCloud and Gmail.

Also - this is where it comes tricky: the iCloud notes and local iPhone notes accounts are kept separate at all times.

This means that the notes you have already synced to your iCloud account REMAIN there, even if you choose to disable iCloud notes sync. The local notes on the iPhone you had prior to enabling iCloud notes sync REMAIN on the iPhone and are not synced over to the iCloud account. UPDATE: there is a legit way to move "On My iPhone" notes to iCloud as described here: How to transfer notes from on my iPhone account to iCloud

[​IMG]

#16 Mathew Connelly, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015