How to turn off Edge and use it manually

keevill

Jul 30, 2009
I have an Edge account with limited hours per month. How can I turn it off and only use it manually when there is not Wifi available and I just need to check email for example ?

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Jailbreak, install sbsettings and turn edge off via the edge toggle. Although I have read the edge toggle didin't work with 3.0, not sure if that has been fixed in the last couple of updates or not.Otherwise like the previous poster mentioned, airplane mode, but that will also prevent you from making calls.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I have an Edge account with limited hours per month. How can I turn it off and only use it manually when there is not Wifi available and I just need to check email for example ?
As shutter stated, jailbreaking will give you more flexibility in disabling different aspects of the iPhone. If not, you can use Airplane Mode and enable Wifi, but you lose the lack of voice calls.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I don't think the sbsettings toggle for edge has been fixed yet, its not working on mine anyway.

keevill

Jul 30, 2009
Yeah the phone is jailbroken and I tried using sbsettings toggle but the icon for Edge is not even active, just 3G , wireless and brightness appear to be working.
As a workaround, I just entered incorrect settings in the apn etc fields when I want to disable Edge and then reset the settings if I need to use Edge.
Not ideal but it works.

Jul 22, 2009
I have not try this things yet. As I am still using the wifi. But sometimes I get some problem with the wifi like it won't connected automatically and I have to do it manually than. Than I think of using edge. But do not know can I use both systems in my 3G?

keevill

Jul 30, 2009
actually I have managed to get sbsettings toggle function to work.
I have not gone into the settings and enabled the Edge button.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
When I was jailbroken with SBSettings, the Edge toggle worked fine for me. Only odd thing was that if I had Edge off, 3G wouldn't work. I assumed they were connected somehow at a basic level. But I never thought the Edge toggle to be faulty.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
When I was jailbroken with SBSettings, the Edge toggle worked fine for me. Only odd thing was that if I had Edge off, 3G wouldn't work. I assumed they were connected somehow at a basic level. But I never thought the Edge toggle to be faulty.
Thats the fault im having. If its not a fault then I apologise for the misinformation, I just presumed.