how to turn off motion sensor

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Sep 16, 2007
Am I the only one using the iPhone in the bed?
well, how cool the motion sensor is, once you're leaving an upright position it doesn't make sense anymore.

I'm laying on the side (on the bed, floor, beach, whatever comes to your mind...), holding the iPhone upright while watching a youtube video. no problem since videos are played back in wide screen mode by default. but what if I'd like to browse the web? Once I fire up safari the motion sensor takes care and leaves the wide screen mode

how to turn that (sometimes unnecessary, yet annoying) feature off?
at least temporarily

kency79

Bronze
Sep 2, 2007
Hamilton,NJ
www.myspace.com
well, how cool the motion sensor is, once you're leaving an upright position it doesn't make sense anymore.

I'm laying on the side (on the bed, floor, beach, whatever comes to your mind...), holding the iPhone upright while watching a youtube video. no problem since videos are played back in wide screen mode by default. but what if I'd like to browse the web? Once I fire up safari the motion sensor takes care and leaves the wide screen mode

at least temporarily
I think we are asking too much from Apple. They gave us great product and a lot of us is still not happy about it. They can't grant every single wish(e.g I want gps, i want this, i want that).

I am happy with my iPhone as it is. Any update or additional feature will be great will be just a bonus.

dmwinkler11@ou.edu

Bronze
Aug 7, 2007
When I'm laying on my side using iPhone I turn it to landscape then turn it to where the home button is up and since the iPhone sensor won't flip it upside down, it will stay in landscape! Hope this helps :)

goblues38

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
I am happy with my iPhone as it is. Any update or additional feature will be great will be just a bonus.
Well said. Don't buy something if it's not want you want. if you do buy it, stop complaining. It takes away from the enjoyment of others.

The iPhone fit nicely between normal cell phones (Razor) and full blown smart phones (pocket pc). I have zero issues after 2+ weeks of ownership.

eufo

Bronze
Aug 22, 2007
Miami

at least temporarily
HAHA! I completely agree. The motion sensor is cool and all, but in bed it makes no sense anymore.

Sep 6, 2007
Don't knock the OP too hard :) I have had that issue before and you just kinda have to hold the phone upright even when you're lying down. It can be a bit aggravating but it can be done. It's not really a problem with the phone, just not something it was really designed for.

Prelector

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
kency79 said:
I think we are asking too much from Apple. They gave us great product and a lot of us is still not happy about it. They can't grant every single wish(e.g I want gps, i want this, i want that).

Well said. Don't buy something if it's not want you want. if you do buy it, stop complaining. It takes away from the enjoyment of others.

The iPhone fit nicely between normal cell phones (Razor) and full blown smart phones (pocket pc). I have zero issues after 2+ weeks of ownership.
Jesus the fanbois get a bit annoying...

He didn't complain about the product, he didn't talk about returning it, he didn't say anything negative about the iPhone at all!

All he did was ask if there was a way to turn off the motion sensor, for a particular situation. He's not asking for new features, or even bug fixes, he's just asking if/how to work with the existing product.

How about this... If you don't like people offering criticism of the iPhone, don't read the post! If you don't need/want a particular requested feature, great, don't use it! Believe it or not, this forum is for the ENTIRE iPhone community, those that LOVE the device as is, and those that hope/want improvements.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
When I'm laying on my side using iPhone I turn it to landscape then turn it to where the home button is up and since the iPhone sensor won't flip it upside down, it will stay in landscape! Hope this helps :)
This is the best solution for now.

I've been complaining about this since day 1. And yes I love the iPhone, best product in the world, but this is one of the small complaints I have. Nothing compared to all of the praise I have tho.

Sep 16, 2007
r

thanks to Prelector for understanding my post. and thank you dmwinkler11, will try it later.

as an iPhone enthusiast, I just try to get the most out of that device probably like everybody else :)

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Jesus the fanbois get a bit annoying...

He didn't complain about the product, he didn't talk about returning it, he didn't say anything negative about the iPhone at all!

All he did was ask if there was a way to turn off the motion sensor, for a particular situation. He's not asking for new features, or even bug fixes, he's just asking if/how to work with the existing product.

How about this... If you don't like people offering criticism of the iPhone, don't read the post! If you don't need/want a particular requested feature, great, don't use it! Believe it or not, this forum is for the ENTIRE iPhone community, those that LOVE the device as is, and those that hope/want improvements.
/bow

Brand loyalty is great, but sometimes its a little too much to handle, especially in the case above where the OP is lambasted over nothing more than an observance and a follow up question.

:(