How to unblock iPhone 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by Sam1401, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Sam1401

Sam1401 New Member

Hi guys I have a big problem! I bought an iPhone 4S (IOS 6.1.3) by virgin when I spent one year in the USA but never used it with a provider just by wifi. Now I came back to my home country made a contract wanted to insert the card in the phone and what I didn't know, the phone is blocked! Also someone already called to virgin for me and they won't unblock it even though they didn't tell me anything before!
    Now to my question: what can I do to unblock it? And if there is no possibility so do I have to jailbreak it? If yes is that dangerous and how can I do that?

Hope someone can help me!

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Blocked or locked?

Blocking is done when the phone is reported stolen. You can't remove a block.

You can buy unlocked phones in the US, but most of them are sold locked to a carrier. The Virgin Mobile 4S is a CDMA phone with a GSM SIM card slot that is locked. This means you can't put any worldwide GSM SIM in it. Instead, you roam on GSM networks through the Virgin Mobile SIM when overseas. I checked eBay and didn't see any US Virgin Mobile IMEI unlocks available and I don't think Virgin Mobile unlocks them for people even if they are out of contract. I don't think you'll be able to use this phone with your carrier if it is locked.

3. Sam1401

Sam1401 New Member

Oh yeah i meant locked. i´m sorry. Thanks a lot for your reply.

So there is no possibility for me to do anything? What if i jail break it will i be able to use my SIM card?

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Jailbreaking doesn't unlock a phone. That has to be done separately. A few years ago, the most common way to unlock was with a software application called ultrasn0w. It only worked on jailbroken phones and required an eligible baseband. That's an outdated method and has never worked on the iPhone 4S. It is impossible to unlock it with that method even if you could jailbreak, and you can't jailbreak because of your firmware. A Gevey sim won't work on your phone either since it's a Virgin Mobile phone.

I would just sell it on eBay and use the money for an unlocked phone. They aren't that difficult to find now since permanet IMEI unlocks have been so popular the past year.

5. Sam1401

Sam1401 New Member

I guess it's locked, I can use it but when I put a SIM card in it I can't use it anymore :/

Sent using iCafe app

6. RBNetEngr

RBNetEngr Contributor
    Bronze

Your Virgin Mobile iPhone 4S uses the Sprint CDMA network in the USA.

This article explains how it works.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1162960/how_international_is_the_iphone_4s_world_phone_.html

Since Sprint supports unlocking the SIM slot so you can use the phone with an in-country SIM, there should be no reason why Virgin or Sprint won't do it for your phone.

Just realize that the phone will switch to the Sprint (Virgin) CDMA network when it is in the USA. But you should be able to use it on a SIM outside the USA forever.

-rb

7. Sam1401

Sam1401 New Member

Hi thank you so much for your reply, I read the article now and I think it still won't be possible for me. I bought the phone on march but I didn't do any contract with virgin or anything, I just bought the phone. Someone I know from the USA already called and they said they wouldn't unlock it, I don't know the reason but they just said no.

Any other idea?

Sent using iCafe app

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I would sell the phone an buy one that's unlocked or unlockable. Your Virgin mobile phone cannot be unlocked. If you get an AT&T phone that was originally purchased before January 26th 2013, you can unlock it for $5 on eBay if the seller hasn't already unlocked it.