How to unlock iPhone using ziPhone when phone is already unlocked with Cydia

prabhat

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I got a iPhone from UK unloked with cydia, but in India it is not working.
Do i need to unlock it using ziPhone?
Please help!:(

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
Firstly, steer clear of ZiPhone. There are other better options.

Cydia doesn't unlock an iPhone. It is, however, an indication that it has been jailbroken, which allows you to install non-Apple apps.

Many people confuse Jailbreak with Unlock.

We need to know if this is a 2G (aluminium back) iPhone or a 3G iPhone (plastic back - white or black).

If it is 3G then it can't be unlocked and will only work with O2 in the UK (assuming it's a UK iPhone).

If it's 2G then it can be unlocked and will work with any network. Unlock it using this tutorial.

h.s

Oct 14, 2008
If it is 3G then it can't be unlocked and will only work with O2 in the UK (assuming it's a UK iPhone).
... Although a jailbroken 3G might be used with an adapter card riding piggyback on your SIM card, thus rendering a "true" Unlock obsolete. Don't know nothing about Indian carriers in this respect, though.

- HS

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
... Although a jailbroken 3G might be used with an adapter card riding piggyback on your SIM card, thus rendering a "true" Unlock obsolete.
- HS
Yes, that's true, though in my experience the piggyback SIM adaptors are neither reliable or future proof and I didn't want to recommend them.

Before deciding on the SIM adaptor solution have a good read of the forums for other users experience.

prabhat

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Okie so when my phone has cydia it means it is unlocked or jailbroken?
my phone is 2G... so please give me a solution..... can i unlock it again?
Can it be a problem related to sim bandwith... because it was working in UK but not accepting in India?

Actually my friend who iPhone for me is also having an iPhone from UK unloked with ziPhone... and his handset is working in India..... actually his handset do have Cydia installed..... so what is the difference between his handset and my handset?

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
All you can definitely say is that it has been jailbroken. It's not possible to determine for sure that it has been unlocked.

Follow this guide to update to 2.1 firmware and unlock and jaibreak. Then you'll know for sure. It quite straightforward if you follow it precisely. Do not use ZiPhone.

prabhat

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
All you can definitely say is that it has been jailbroken. It's not possible to determine for sure that it has been unlocked.

Follow this guide to update to 2.1 firmware and unlock and jaibreak. Then you'll know for sure. It quite straightforward if you follow it precisely. Do not use ZiPhone.

Okie bro.. i will try these steps... but will it be okiee to jailbreak again if a handset is already jailbroken?
i mean doing it again using different sofware?