how to update from 4.3.1 to 4.3.3

trini

Aug 7, 2011
hey guys
i have an iPhone 4 running on 4.3.1 and i want to update to 4.3.3 but the problem is i cant just go to iTunes and hit update because that will update to the latest version which is 4.3.5 and i don't want that
please guys i need help because after i update i need to jailbreak to use the gevey sim unlock

trini

Aug 7, 2011
so i recently bought a used iPhone 4 with 4.3.1 and i wanted to save the shsh blob
while doing that with tinyumbrella, it showed me the shsh blob is for 4.3.5
i don't get how that is possible when im running on 4.3.1?
please help
and will this prevent me from unlocking with gevey sim since the gevey sim only works upto 4.3.3 with untethered jailbreaks

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
First, download TinyUmbrella ( http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/ ) and save your shsh blobs. This will be very helpful if you ever need to restore again.
Second, you need to google iOS 4.3.3 and you will find this link:
http://www.redmondpie.com/download-ios-4.3.3-for-iphone-ipad-ipod-touch-direct-links/
When you go to update (I'll assume you're on a PC) hold down Shift and click restore. It will open a window for you to browse to the firmware. (If you're on a Mac, I think it's Option restore). That should be it.
Once the restore is finished, you might get an error 1013. Use TinyUmbrella to kick out of recovery.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Moved to iPhone Jailbreak.

The above method will only work if you already have a 4.3.3 SHSH saved. Is unlocking the only reason you want to jailbreak? You do not need to jailbreak to use a GEYEY SIM. It works on a stock 4.3.5.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
He wasn't looking to jailbreak, just update to 4.3.3. I gave the above instructions in case Apple isn't signing 4.3.3 anymore. It's the only way I know to install an older firmware that's not signed.

trini

Aug 7, 2011
well i already saved my shsh with tinyumbrella
right now im on 4.3.1 but for some reason tinyumbrealla is showing 4.3.5 as my saved shsh blob
heres a pic of that
SHSH Blob Pic.JPG

so will i still be able to update to 4.3.3?

and about 4.3.5 unlock, i tried to unlock and the only way its gonna work is with the manual mode
and since the 4.3.5 jailbreak is tethered, the unlock wont work if i jailbreak on 4.3.5
but i want to jailbreak

so ya, can i still update to 4.3.3?

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
It is only possible to save blobs for firmware that Apple is currently signing. It's too late to save blobs for 4.3.1 as 4.3.5 is the only version of iOS currently being signed. I'm not sure how or why, but is possible to save blobs for currently signed firmware even though you are still on an previous revision.

You will still be able to jailbreak untethered and use the gevey sim but if you update or restore your device you won't be able to go back to anything prior to 4.3.5.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
He wasn't looking to jailbreak, just update to 4.3.3. I gave the above instructions in case Apple isn't signing 4.3.3 anymore. It's the only way I know to install an older firmware that's not signed.
?
Apple stopped signing 4.3.3 on July 25th. He asked how to how to update to 4.3.3 so he could jailbreak and unlock with a GEVEY SIM. I thought your post could be misconstrued that the 4.3.3 blobs could be saved right now so I just wanted to clarify that and provide the simplest solution, which is to update to a stock 4.3.5 (or just stay on 4.3.1) and unlock without jailbreaking.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
well i already saved my shsh with tinyumbrella
right now im on 4.3.1 but for some reason tinyumbrealla is showing 4.3.5 as my saved shsh blob
heres a pic of that
View attachment 15223

so will i still be able to update to 4.3.3?

and about 4.3.5 unlock, i tried to unlock and the only way its gonna work is with the manual mode
and since the 4.3.5 jailbreak is tethered, the unlock wont work if i jailbreak on 4.3.5
but i want to jailbreak

so ya, can i still update to 4.3.3?
This method only backs up the SHSHs that are within Apple's signing window (the most current firmware). They can then be used at a later date to restore to that firmware when it is not current anymore. Those of us who have, say, a 4.1 SHSH can restore to 4.1 right now. TinyUmbrella will save the current version regardless if you're running it. July 25th was the deadline for backing up 4.3.3 with TinyUmbrella, iSHSH It and Make My Life Easier in Cydia. iFaith (supposedly) can save an old firmware SHSH, but ONLY if it is currently installed on the phone. You could use it so save 4.3.1 (since you're running it), but not 4.3.3.

You can only run the GEVEY SIM in manual mode? Why not just jailbreak 4.3.1 and do that?

trini

Aug 7, 2011
You can only run the GEVEY SIM in manual mode? Why not just jailbreak 4.3.1 and do that?
well i contacted with the gevey people and they said to restore and then use the gevey sim
buy my fear is that it might not restore and will just update to 4.3.5
and since i had to restore, i was just wondering why not restore and update to 4.3.3 because in 4.3.1 there is a camera bug where you cant use your flash if you do something ( i forgot what that was)
so thats why i wanted to restore and update to 4.3.3
but i guess thats not possible

This method only backs up the SHSHs that are within Apple's signing window (the most current firmware). They can then be used at a later date to restore to that firmware when it is not current anymore.
i didn't know that shsh blob only worked with the current firmware so thanks for that info

i was just wondering about the method mentioned above of how you can download 4.3.3 firmware and then click restore while holding shift key. so is it still going to work or do i just have to stay in 4.3.1?

iSHSH It and Make My Life Easier in Cydia. iFaith (supposedly) can save an old firmware SHSH, but ONLY if it is currently installed on the phone. You could use it so save 4.3.1 (since you're running it), but not 4.3.3.
and also could you explain this part, like how do i do this
i just want to have a backup for 4.3.1 so i can go back to it if i accidentally update to 4.3.5

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I've never used iFaith and I don't know how well it works. I just wanted to let you know 4.3.3 is not an option since you didn't back it up in time. Your only options are to stay on 4.3.1 and jailbreak it, restore and update to 4.3.5, or restore to 4.3.1 after using iFaith (if it successfuly saves your 4.3.1 SHSH). Try watching some of the YouTube videos on iFaith if you're interested in trying it.

Last edited by a moderator:

trini

Aug 7, 2011
Ok so I just watched a video about ifaith and I was just wondering that if it's possible to say use another iPhone 4's 4.3.3 shsh through this and use it in my iPhone 4. Then I can restore back from 4.3.5. I might be stupid for asking this but is it possible?