How to Upgrade previously Jailbreaked phone from 2.1 to 2.2.1

marshallk

Mar 15, 2009
I have a jailbreaked phone with firmware 2.1. I would like to update it to firmware 2.1.1.

Is there a way to do the update without losing all the jailbreak applications i've already downloaded?

Can I just download the latest ipsw file and do the Shift Restore?

Is there a nice procedure online that i can follow for this type of update?

thx

s8n666

Bronze
Oct 3, 2008
No easy way my friend. I updated the other day, and it took two hours of playing with it to get it back to the way I had it before.
If you download aptbackup from cydia and run it, then do an iTunes backup, all of your cydia app info will be backed up. After you jailbreak again, download aptbackup from cydia again and do a restore, this will redownload all of your cydia apps. If you are using any "cracked" apps, make sure you install the mobileinstallation crack from cydia before you sync your apps.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
don't update to 2.2.1, update to 2.2 instead as you will still be able to unlock it and sell it for a good amount of money once the new iPhone comes out this summer.

and no you will lose all your apps, there is a jailbroken app called aptbackup that supposedly fixes the problem you are running into, but i have never been able to get it to work after trying multiple times.

wd_stroke

Bronze
Apr 12, 2008
There are two apps to help you.

appbackup - iTunes application backup

aptbackup - Cydia application backup