How to use AT&T Next program

Discussion in 'iPhone 6S' started by ZR_Yancy, Sep 10, 2015.

1. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

Does anybody know how this will work when I decide to upgrade. I've already paid enough of the installments to be eligible to upgrade but how is this done? If I preorder, will I have to use the AT&T website if we will even have that option to preorder? When do I have to bring my device in to trade? I just some clarification if anybody has already upgraded a device on the Next program.

2. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

I signed up with the 18 month deal, which means that after 12 months, if I want to upgrade I'll have to pay off the remaining 6 months before I can do so. If you signed up for the 12 month deal, all you have to do is swap phones. As far as preordering goes, I haven't asked them that yet.

3. Pac73

Pac73 Member
    Bronze

I called and asked and the rep told me that f you order through At&t site that they send you a shipping label for your old phone if on the 12month plan.

4. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I chose the 18 month plan but paid it off early so I can be eligible for pre-order. So when I pre-order, they will automatically send me a box with shipping label or can I just go to the nearest At&T store and return it there?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

5. Pac73

Pac73 Member
    Bronze

If you paid off the phone it is yours. On the 18 month plan after 12 months you can upgrade again and you send your old phone back to At&t to pay for the remaining 6 months. Again this is what a rep told me today. If anyone had actually used the plan good give some clarification.

6. KPSK

KPSK Member
    Bronze

If i remember right when i switched to it, you have a 12 month option and an 18 month option. For the 12 months, which is what i have, you can trade in the phone after you made 12 payments for another or pay and after 20 months you own the phone and can keep it. So reality is they give you a payment plan based on 20 months, which in return they are getting back your phone for around $250 or your payment per month x 8 months.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Did you pay the remaining amount to get you to the twelve payment mark (you should have made eleven payments at this point leaving you with approximately $37, which is the installment charge for the twelfth month) or did you pay off the total remaining hardware balance of the phone (which should be around $337 for a 64 GB 6 on the eighteen-month plan)?

If you only paid the $37 (approximate), you will need to return the phone to AT&T. You will have to pre-order through AT&T rather than through Apple because Apple will NOT have the information showing that you just paid the twelfth month hardware charge until after a full billing cycle (October), but AT&T has the information now and will allow you to pre-order through them. I have heard that you can give them the phone now or you can wait until you get the new one and that they will send you a return box.

If you paid off the remaining balance on the total hardware charge (approximately $337), you own the phone and can sell privately or keep it as a back up. You're eligibility has been reset and you can pre-order tomorrow.

8. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I only paid enough to get the upgrade so I will be returning it but it wasn't the 12 month option that I had. I chose the 18 month option so my payments were less. I had to pay up to the 18 month installment to get the upgrade.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The 18-month payment plan is the shortest one. It allows you to upgrade at 12 months. To upgrade with turning the phone back in, you just have to pay the $37 (12th month charge). To pay off the remaining balance and own the phone, you have to pay the $337. Again, these are approximate amounts. They are for a 64 GB iPhone 6 on the 18-month plan and will vary if you have a different phone or capacity. How much did you just pay them?

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

@ZR_Yancy, it sounds like you paid the phone off and now own it. Dial *639# on your phone for your upgrade eligibility and post a screenshot of the text you get just to be safe.

11. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

My bad. The website states 12,18 and 24 month options. Maybe I chose the 24 month because my payoff to upgrade was more than $37.

12. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

This is my other line that has the same phone and same Next plan. I also got this phone the same time as my other line.

uploadfromtaptalk1441951101193.jpeg

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm a little confused. Are you saying you did you do Next on your 5s in 2013 and then it affected your upgrade to the 6 in 2014 or are you saying your current payoff (this month for the 6) was more than $37?
    Hmm. It sounds like you chose the 24-month plan on this phone. It looks like you still owe quite a bit to be able to even turn the phone back into AT&T.

So I'm assuming this is your girlfriend's phone. Do you have a screenshot for your phone?

14. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

This is what mine says because I went ahead and paid it early. The amount was the same as my GF's line. I'm thinking it's because I chose the 24 month option so my installments were less. Either way, if I chose the 12 or 18 month options, I would've paid the same at the end to upgrade since we don't pay interest.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

If yours is the same as hers and you only paid $212, you have to turn the phone in. Call AT&T today and see if they will ship you a box and make sure you can still pre-order tonight if they haven't received the phone yet. I'm pretty sure you can.

16. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

When exactly does pre-order open?!!!!

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Less than ten hours from now! :)

9/12/15
    12:00 am PST
    1:00 am MST
    2:00 am CST
    3:00 am EST

18. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

Holy crap! I've been out of the loop too long. Thanks for the info. I would've missed it.
    Hopefully I can do it through the Apple Store app while I'm on Next.

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I really need to see your eligibility screenshot, not the other phone that's on your line. Can you post one? Are you planning on doing Next or Apple's new upgrade plan?

You cannot order through Apple with Next if you have not paid your phone off in full. You need to order through AT&T. You have a Next iPhone 6 that you do not own yet because it has not been paid off in full, correct? If you paid it off in full, which would have cost you around $430, you would own it and you could order through Apple. But if you only paid the $225 (approximate), you only paid the amount to get you eligible to trade it in to AT&T. Since I haven't seen your eligibility screenshot, I don't have exact amounts and I'm approximating them based on the screenshot you posted of your other line. It could be even more if your phone's capacity it bigger than the other line or smaller if you went with a better Next plan than you did on the other line. Even if you run over to AT&T and turn it in right this minute, Apple will not have this information for a full billing cycle (for Next).

We're spinning wheels here until I see your current eligibly screenshot. Please post one.

20. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

uploadfromtaptalk1442011124630.png