How to use file:// Safari patch?

Dec 9, 2007
I downloaded the 1.1.3 Safari Patch, but I'm not sure how to use it. I want to be able to view certain files locally, i.e. word docs, pdf and html files. But I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do after installing this app.

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
The files need to be placed somewhere on the phone first, obviously. I like to put my PDF files in the media folder. To view one in safari I type this URL:

file:///var/mobile/Media/pdf/mypdf.pdf

Do you notice the 3 "/'s" in that URL? Its not a typo, that third / is the first character in "/var/mobile/Media"

If you can wrap your head around that you should be fine.

Dec 9, 2007
The files need to be placed somewhere on the phone first, obviously. I like to put my PDF files in the media folder. To view one in safari I type this URL:

file:///var/mobile/Media/pdf/mypdf.pdf

Do you notice the 3 "/'s" in that URL? Its not a typo, that third / is the first character in "/var/mobile/Media"

If you can wrap your head around that you should be fine.
Thanks! The entire time, I was typing only two "/"s.

bubuli7

Oct 9, 2008
problem

y when im using safari to view local file it say's you don't have permission to view.pdf

Apr 18, 2009
Has anyone found the fix for this?

I can see this post is old. After searching google it's still the best thread concerning the subject. Has anyone found a fix yet? I followed the same steps above and I get the "no permission" problem too. I have checked all files via ssh and permissions are set to 0755. Am I missing anything else?

Apr 18, 2009
Got it working

Ok I found a fix that worked for me, or a least I found my own error^^

I'm running firmware 2.2.1 and found my Safari patch in Cydia as "file:// Schema in Safari" after jailbreaking my iPod Touch and installing all essential updates via Cydia.

Under details of the patch it says "might not be able to access files in /var/mobile/Media" like in the above example directory. Instead I just made a new directory on the drive for example /NewFolder/PDF/myPDF.pdf via ssh (fugu).

Once my pdf's were placed in the folder of my choice I checked permissions under info for good practice and copied the directory address. I created new bookmarks in Safari on my mac as for example "file:///NewFolder/PDF/myPDF.pdf" then choose to sync via iTunes.

Now I have working PDF's as offline contant (index study cards for school .. Yay^^) and they work perfectly thus far with no issues.

I have spent a day at this. First I tried FileMarkMaker but had crash issues and lag time, but this new method is much better and easier to manange. Thanks to all who make these thing happen!

(psss .... yes wordy as to spiderbots right into my trap and help others who are spending way too much time trying to get PDF's to work offline on iPod Touch)