How to use iPhone content on 2nd Computer

Jan 12, 2008
Hi folks,

I use two computers. One at home, that has my iTunes library, and my work laptop. I installed iTunes on my work laptop, and with my video ipod connected, I'm able to play content on my laptop, through iTunes, that is on my video iPod.

My iPhone is synced to my home computer on a routine basis.

When I connect my iPhone to my laptop, I can see the content of my iPhone, in iTunes, but, everything is in "grey" font. I cannot actually play any of the content in iTunes.

I would like to be able to use the iPhone content, like videos, on the bigger laptop screen when traveling, etc, without having to put that content on my laptop too.

Am I missing some setting in iTunes that lets me do this with the video iPod, but, not iPhone?

Thanks for the help.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Hi folks,

I use two computers. One at home, that has my iTunes library, and my work laptop. I installed iTunes on my work laptop, and with my video ipod connected, I'm able to play content on my laptop, through iTunes, that is on my video iPod.

My iPhone is synced to my home computer on a routine basis.

When I connect my iPhone to my laptop, I can see the content of my iPhone, in iTunes, but, everything is in "grey" font. I cannot actually play any of the content in iTunes.

I would like to be able to use the iPhone content, like videos, on the bigger laptop screen when traveling, etc, without having to put that content on my laptop too.

Am I missing some setting in iTunes that lets me do this with the video iPod, but, not iPhone?

Thanks for the help.

The only way that I have read that it is possible is this:

If your phone is jailbroken you can install a program called SwapTunes that will allow you to sync your music and movies with two different computers. You sync at home, then click swaptunes then sync at work with a different set of music files. The real pain is when playing music that is on the other "swap" you have to swaptunes again to get them to show in the iPod interface. But it works great to be able to load music at two separate locations.

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
the only thing i can think of would be to sync and when you're done watching the movie just delete it, although that could be an unnecessary hassle.

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
solution

While I have yet to uprade my unlocked/jailbroken 1.1.2 iPhone, there are quite a few threads in here that say iTunes 7.6 now allows iPhone users to manually manage the data on their iPhones, without upgrading to 1.1.3. If you have not upgraded to iTunes 7.6, give it a try. Also, please note that you must enable the feature on the summary page for the iPhone. Let us know how it works out for you.

In the meanwhile, you are correct that there is no other way to play your music and movies from your iPhone through iTunes. There are various other programs out there that will give you disc access, but you sound like the type of person that would just rather use iTunes for your iPhone, just like your video iPod.

Jan 12, 2008
Thanks. Indeed, even though I am an IT person, and not challenged by having to tweak a few things, software-wise, I don't like doing too much when my company laptop is involved. "Big Brother" is watching.

I understand about the "manually manage" option. I have already updated to 1.1.3, and of course, iTunes 7.6, and was HOPING that this option would now let me use the iPhone as I use the video iPod - alas, not the case.

Thanks for the replies. If anyone else has some ideas, let me know.

overbo0st2k4

Bronze
Oct 17, 2007
Thanks. Indeed, even though I am an IT person, and not challenged by having to tweak a few things, software-wise, I don't like doing too much when my company laptop is involved. "Big Brother" is watching.

I understand about the "manually manage" option. I have already updated to 1.1.3, and of course, iTunes 7.6, and was HOPING that this option would now let me use the iPhone as I use the video iPod - alas, not the case.

Why don't you just use your iPhone as a USB mass storage device, store your movies that way, and then you'll be able to take your movies with you and watch them on any computer.

Granted, you obviously won't be able to watch the movies on your actual iPhone, but it seems your purpose is only to "carry" them over to your work computer using your iPhone and not have to lug around the video iPod as well. =)

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Why not just use a stick flash drive, copy the movies you want on to it, then on the other computer open iTunes and import them and watch, then jus delete off the flash drive. Its still the same..:)

Jan 12, 2008
Unless I'm mistaken....

You can't do what you're describing, with iPhone. Video iPod supports that, but, even then, if you used iTunes to put the content on the iPod, the "file names" are in some code, only iTunes understands, and you just have to hunt for content by trial and error.

It is dissapointing that Apple chose to make the functionality of the iPod part of iPhone "different"... maybe they'll provide this capability, eventually.

Jan 12, 2008
Yeah...could do that...

it's just that I don't want to "bother". Again, it worked the way I wanted with my video iPod, just hope ultimately, Apple chooses to make the functionality behave the same between their products.

There are certainly multiple ways to accomplish my ulimate goal.. thanks for the feedback.

Jan 14, 2008
it's just that I don't want to "bother". Again, it worked the way I wanted with my video iPod, just hope ultimately, Apple chooses to make the functionality behave the same between their products.

There are certainly multiple ways to accomplish my ulimate goal.. thanks for the feedback.
Hi

Found this thread on the Apple forums. Not sure its a solution to the OPs original question but it does provide a way to manually manage music and videos and sync the iPhone with more than one computer.

The thread is a bit long but the solutions are at the end.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1342974&tstart=0

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Here is what Debbie found:

OK- after thinking about it for a minute (and with the knowledge that I had a Time Machine backup), I did the following:
1- quit iTunes on the PowerBook
2- deleted the iTunes Library file from the PowerBook
3- copied the Library file from the iTunes folder of the iMac to the iTunes folder of the PowerBook
4- opened iTunes on the PB, got the message that it couldn't find it's Library, pointed iTunes to the file I had just copied.
5- Since the iMac has a much larger library than the PB, there were a lot of files in the library that were not actually on the PB. I double-clicked on one and got the "can't find file, do you want to manually find it" message. Said "no"
6- I selected the entire contents of the library, and hit "delete". Got the message asking me if I wanted to move the files to the trash. I said "No". Result: a completely empty library, but with all my playlists from the iMac still in the left column.
7- went to the iTunes folder on the PB, and dragged all the music back to the Library. Once it was all copied over checked to see that the smart playlists were populated (they were)
8- connected iPhone... it now allows me to use the PB to manually manage the music in the same way as I use the iMac.

I'll have to clean up the PB library (delete some playlists that don't have any music in them and so on), but this allows me to do what I want to do- If I'm traveling with the PB and want to add or delete music from the iPhone without completely wiping it I can do it. This is something that not everyone would want to do- I can see issues with losing data about number of times the song has been played recently and so on, but that's not a concern of mine. I don't rate my music (If I didn't like it, it wouldn't be on my computer). I'm happy.
I copied ONLY the library file (NOT the .xml file). I think we've figured out why it worked for the two of us for whom it DID work- we inadvertently tricked our iPhones into thinking that two computers were in fact the SAME computer. Of course, now that we know how it was done, we can do it intentionally.
"the only difference in the recipe you gave is that after i copied the iTunes music library file from my imac to my windows laptop, i gave it the .itl suffix."

Since I was working with two Macs, the suffix wasn't an issue, but I guess the .itl suffix is something the Windows machine would need. I'm glad it worked for you.

Jan 12, 2008
Ok! Great Find!

Yahoo! I can confirm I've done this. Running XP Home on 'home' machine. Copied the file "iTunes Library.itl" to the iTunes folder on my work Laptop. Didn't do anything else.

When I connected the iPhone to the laptop, clicked the iPhone icon, and there everything is! I played music, and video from the iPhone, on the laptop.

In reading the thread linked above, there were a "few" that actually wanted to transfer media from two computers to the iPhone. This won't accomplish that, but for my purposes, it's perfect!

Mat

Jan 14, 2008
Ok! Great Find!

Yahoo! I can confirm I've done this. Running XP Home on 'home' machine. Copied the file "iTunes Library.itl" to the iTunes folder on my work Laptop. Didn't do anything else.

When I connected the iPhone to the laptop, clicked the iPhone icon, and there everything is! I played music, and video from the iPhone, on the laptop.

In reading the thread linked above, there were a "few" that actually wanted to transfer media from two computers to the iPhone. This won't accomplish that, but for my purposes, it's perfect!

Mat
Great news! Glad it worked :)

reedone

Jul 13, 2008
Great news! Glad it worked :)
Thanks so much for working this out.

I can confirm this solution works on the 3G iPhone as well.

I think it relies on having the setting Manually Manage Music and Videos checked and being able to get it in that state without the iTunes trying to wipe the iPhone - which means you would need to connect the iPhone to the second computer before putting any music on the iPhone so you can then check that checkbox to manually manage the music. Of course, who is going to know to do that?

I think it is a bug in the iTune interface because if I can select the checkbox to manally manage the music, and then select Apply, why would iTunes need wipe the music first?

Anyways - thanks for the solution!