How to use iPhone in Europe?

dinosaur1

Silver
Nov 10, 2007
I am traveling to switzerland and Serbia. How would I be able to use my iPhone there? How much more does it cost?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
You'll want to talk to AT&T (if you're in the US) or your carrier to be clear on current roaming charges for both voice and data.

In general, these are exorbitant and not worthwhile for most people. In fact, most folks try to make sure they have data roaming turned off when they travel abroad.

WiFi usage should still be OK and not incur extra cost, but you'll want to check out the roaming charges and decide if you can handle any of that ...

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I was in Europe over spring break and used my iPhone and incurred no accidental charges. If you're planning on using the phone to call home I would recommend calling AT&T and activating the International Voice Roaming Plan. It's $5.99 a month (you can cancel when you get back home) and it reduces the cost of most calls from $4-$5 a minute down to $0.99 per minute. It really depends on the country you're in but I'm almost certain Switzerland is $0.99 and Serbia as well. You'll get fun little text messages from each of the countries you go into welcoming you and telling you the service provider in that country, it's pretty neat.

As far as Data, those prices are extremely expensive and I would just try and find WiFi hot spots and make sure that Data Roaming is turned OFF on your iPhone in settings.

S

satishna108

That sounds great.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I actually just checked the phone bill and either Serbia or Bulgaria was $3.99 per minute, so you might want to call AT&T and find out for sure.

katecoon

Feb 28, 2009
using thr iPhone locally in europe?

I will be in Ireland and paris for ten days (with my iPhone)... can i get a si card or anything that allows me to make local calls while i am there? i.e. to call between dublin and cork, or in paris, or between dublin and paris?
thanks, everybody!

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
If you unlock your iPhone prior to departing then you can use an International SIM that will make calling within Europe much cheaper.

katecoon

Feb 28, 2009
thanks, and Q

Thanks, Philip (youngbink)--
Do i get the SIM card before I go, or when I'm over there, and if so... an AT & T outlet? are they on every corner and every strip mall the way they are here?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I didn't worry about obtaining a SIM card until I arrived overseas. I just walked around to a few different phone shops (there should be plenty) and looked for the SIM plan that seemed to have the best deals. I chose one that had free incoming calls and started with 50 outgoing minutes. I think it was something like $30 which wasn't that bad. I would call home, tell them to call me back, and talk to free.

You might want something different so be sure to ask around and you can typically find one that suits your needs.

MtnBiker

Mar 4, 2009
Has anyone used a European SIM card in a US iPhone and been able to use the 3G data plan. For instance, will Google Maps and Google Earth work?