How to use iPhone without AT&TService.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Removing the SIM or putting in an inactive SIM will allow you to use the iPhone as a free WiFi-enabled sixth generation iPod.

Removed SIM and replaced it with an invalid, unactivated, no-account SIM: Still works as 6G WiFi iPod. Still Synced properly to iTunes. Tried placing call. It failed (as expected).
Removed SIM entirely: It complains but works at 6G WiFi iPod. Tried placing call. "No SIM card installed". Failed. Connected to iTunes. Synced without any problems I could detect. WiFi fine.
Removed activated SIM and placed into a cheap disposable AT&T cell phone: Worked fine. Was able to place calls. Good way to save your iPhone from danger on ski or bike trips.
Placed SIM from cheap disposable AT&T Pay as You Go phone into iPhone. Call failed. WiFi fine.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
it would only cost the activation fee then if you end your contract promptly under 3 days I believe then you don't pay etf

BWGrapher

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
it would only cost the activation fee then if you end your contract promptly under 3 days I believe then you don't pay etf
You are right but slightly different.
If you cancel the contract before 30 days, you don't need to pay ETF.
Also if you cancel the contract before 3 days, you can get back activation fee, too.