How to use locked iPhone 3GS in India

Aug 22, 2009
Hi,

I have purchased a locked iPhone 3gs from USA without any carrier nor any contract. The same is not activated either. I want to use the same in India with my vodafone connection. How do i jailbreak and unlock my iPhone 3gs in India and use it with my vodafone connection?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
First off. Be very careful not to update it to 3.1 in iTunes. 3.1 was just released and the jailbreak and unlock are not available yet. Apple is not allowing downgrading the FW, so once you're on 3.1, you're there to stay. When you connect to iTunes, it will ask if you want to update, say NO.

Are you using a Mac or PC and what browser are you using?

The first step will be connecting to iTunes and setting it up. It will not activate since you don't have an AT&T SIM and it's carrier locked. It will activate after the jailbreaking and unlocking process is complete.

Aug 22, 2009
I am using PC and will be using the firefox web browser.

Also pls guide me on how to jailbreak and unlock it....

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah

exe

Aug 9, 2009
Is it possible to get the IBSS and IBEC numbers at this time (with the 3.1 being out) before doing the above jailbreak/unlock? From what I read, it is not?

Aug 22, 2009
Hi i successfuly followed the procedure as mentioned in your reply...However my iPhone does not start it just conks off after the initial Apple logo after i rebooted the device after installing ultrasn0w...pls help

Aug 22, 2009
Hi,

I managed to take extract the ECID file using USBView and purplera1 and mailed the same to ih8snow..However i am still awaiting the files from his side....will i be able to restore to 3.0.1 on my iPhone which is stuck in the Apple logo reboot.