How to use OpenSSH?

CanSpec

Bronze
Mar 5, 2008
Could someone please tell or show me how to use OpenSSH and winscp. I am just new at this and would like to learn how. Thank you for your time!:)

overbo0st2k4

Bronze
Oct 17, 2007
On your iPhone:

Go To Installer and Download OpenSSH.
Connect to your favortie WiFi.
Go into:
Settings > WiFi > Tap the ">" next to the WiFi you are connected to > Note down the IP Address.

On your PC:

Download and install WinSCP.
Open WinSCP
For "Host Name" Enter your iPhone's IP Address that you noted from above.

For "User Name" Enter "root"

For "Password" Enter "alpine"

For "File Protocol" Select "SCP"

Click "Login"

The first time you connect it will take 30-45 seconds, maybe longer.

Then you're connected :)

In case you had any issues, I attached a pic.

CanSpec

Bronze
Mar 5, 2008
On your iPhone:

Go into:
Settings > WiFi > Tap the ">" next to the WiFi you are connected to > Note down the IP Address.

On your PC:

Open WinSCP

Click "Login"

Sorry to bother you again...but I followed your instructions and it gives me a "connection refused" error? Any idea on what that is about? Thanks

CanSpec

Bronze
Mar 5, 2008
Sorry to bother you again...but I followed your instructions and it gives me a "connection refused" error? Any idea on what that is about? Thanks
Got it working! Thanks! Just a question though...I see that I have an iPhysics folder in my iPhone even tho i removed that app long ago...can I safely delete this folder from my phone using WinSCP? Thanks for your help.:)

jpetticrew

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
Houston
As long as you don't use iPhysics anymore, you should be ok deeting it.

lanyongk

Mar 12, 2008
does your ipod need to be connected to the internet.Can you use the cord thingy?

Dec 18, 2008
Cannot connect using OpenSSH

On your iPhone:

Go into:

On your PC:

Open WinSCP

Click "Login"

I cant seem to connect either. I've installed BSD 2.1 and OpenSSH 4.6p1-2 on firmware 1.1.4 on an iPhone 2G.
Wifi is enabled (since I am successfuly able to use it to connect to my mail accounts, Safari, etc.), and I have the correct IP address.
When I try to connect (using any client - WinSCP, Putty, whatever), it always says "Connection timed out".

Any suggestions?
TIA.

Dec 18, 2008
How did you get past the Connection Refused error?

Got it working! Thanks! Just a question though...I see that I have an iPhysics folder in my iPhone even tho i removed that app long ago...can I safely delete this folder from my phone using WinSCP? Thanks for your help.:)
What did you do to get past the "Connection Refused" error?
TIA

hs-devil

Jan 30, 2009
umm..sorry to bother you but i get an error saying that the connection was refused..how to fix this? any help would be really great..thanks

Dec 18, 2008
I was unable to connect because I had OpenVPN running on my machine. (It was running as a background service, so I didn't detect it).
I was able to connect as soon as I turned it off.

Kathie63

Bronze
Mar 15, 2009
Wisconsin
I downloaded a theme from cydia but it does not show up under root/library I was told there was a theme folder but there was none.

Can someone give me some advice.

I just got my iPhone 3g 16gb on Friday and jb my iPhone Saturday and installed winterboard.

I found another theme on the internet that I like but I would like to combine the two, using the icons and wallpaper from one and the stationary background from the other.

I am new to the iPhone and still learning. HELP thanks

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com
I downloaded a theme from cydia but it does not show up under root/library I was told there was a theme folder but there was none.

Can someone give me some advice.

I just got my iPhone 3g 16gb on Friday and jb my iPhone Saturday and installed winterboard.

I found another theme on the internet that I like but I would like to combine the two, using the icons and wallpaper from one and the stationary background from the other.

I am new to the iPhone and still learning. HELP thanks
You have to first go to /, then Library/Themes.
Good luck . . .

Kathie63

Bronze
Mar 15, 2009
Wisconsin
I found the icons, do I delete the icons I do not want then add the ones I do want? What is the Dock.png? Thanks for all your help!

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com
I found the icons, do I delete the icons I do not want then add the ones I do want? What is the Dock.png? Thanks for all your help!
Yes, you can delete the icons you don't want. The Dock.png is a file that resides at the bottom of the phone. If you don't have it you get the default open gap.

Nov 24, 2009
Hi, just wondering what program i can use to acess my computer using the iPhone instead of the other way round? thanks

shdwkid

Nov 25, 2010
Same problem

says e error or something and some error every time I try to access open ssh.:(